Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Jan-02-15 3:39AM

firemunkee
Patagonian Toothfish

Holmes Run 1/1

I was planning to fish the AV lakes and Holmes Run. After sleeping in and taking care of a few things, I only had time to do one or the other. I decided to go for some trout since I haven't caught one in a while and I was sure Curly would have gotten the first bass of the year (and he sure did!). I have only been there once before on a recon mission. I walked down stream a little bit, picked out several potential spots and then worked my way up stream. I only had an hour or so of daylight left so I tried to work quickly. I was using an inline spinner and a trout magnet. The spinner kept getting caught on random things so I didn't use that too much. I wasn't having any luck until the last few spots, and after I changed colors on the trout magnet. After moving to a new spot, I made a cast with the trout magnet and a few seconds later the indicate went down! Fish on! I reeled in my first fish of the year. I only caught one more for the evening. Both had little to no pectoral fins. The first one slithered like a snake more so than swim like a fish.

http://images2.snapfish.com/232323232%7Ffp83232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv3%3C%3B48%3Enu%3D37%3A7%3E653%3E67%3B%3E289865376%3C257ot1lsi

Together we'll fight the long defeat.

#2 Jan-02-15 7:36AM

drxfish
Patagonian Toothfish

Re: Holmes Run 1/1

way to go!  Strange about the fins...

Always wishin' I was fishin'

#3 Jan-02-15 7:54AM

Ernie
Administrator

Nice mutants....Fx County probably got a deal from the trout farm!

Nice way to start the year.....

Time to go fishin' again!

#4 Jan-02-15 9:11AM

backtofuturetoyota
Patagonian Toothfish

Nice! I was going to go on Tue until the water main burst right there at the light and shut down Columbia pike for 5 hours.  I work right up the road from there, so it's an easy stop for me.
Holmes is listed as Delayed Harvest, so I'm guessing most fish were taken from all the poaching.

#5 Jan-02-15 9:23AM

firemunkee
Patagonian Toothfish

drxfish wrote:

way to go!  Strange about the fins...

Ernie wrote:

Nice mutants....Fx County probably got a deal from the trout farm!

Nice way to start the year.....

Also, neither fish I caught had any pelvic fins.

#6 Jan-02-15 9:27AM

firemunkee
Patagonian Toothfish

backtofuturetoyota wrote:

Nice! I was going to go on Tue until the water main burst right there at the light and shut down Columbia pike for 5 hours.  I work right up the road from there, so it's an easy stop for me.
Holmes is listed as Delayed Harvest, so I'm guessing most fish were taken from all the poaching.

Lucky you work so close to there! It is about 50 minutes from Ashburn (traffic pending, and not taking the toll road), which isn't that much closer than travelling to the trout streams in MD I used to frequent. Do you know how Holmes Run compares to Accotink Creek?

Sad about the poaching...sad

Last edited by firemunkee (Jan-02-15 9:30AM)

#7 Jan-02-15 1:02PM

Bryan
Patagonian Toothfish

Nice fish, gotta love those trout magnets.

tight lines

#8 Jan-05-15 4:58AM

backtofuturetoyota
Patagonian Toothfish

Accotink is heavily utilized by fishermen, bikers, joggers, etc.  The streams closest to Wakefiled Park are the most productive IMHO, although I always see heavy fishing below the dam in the pool.  I'm not too certain either water system is all that healthy to be honest with you (hence the stocking).  But, for an urban fishery....it's pretty nice to get the line wet.  My personal opinion is that Holmes is less pressured, but also less stocked.  I've seen programs where Accotink get's stocked heavily with volunteers walking the trout in.  It's always nice to try new waterways out for sure though.  My favorite place was Ft AP Hill for trout, but they've cancelled the stocking this year.

Board footer