firemunkee
Patagonian Toothfish

Re: The new future of Beaverdam Reservoir

I plan to be there at 0600 on Saturday smile

Together we'll fight the long defeat.

#202 May-29-15 9:12AM

mkupchyk

I was there on Sunday (Mt. Hope Rd entrance) not to fish but just walked down to the water. A guy fly fishing said he caught some BGs and there were about a half dozen kayaks coming and going. Chatted with a couple of guys who had just returned from kayaking the East shore and they reported no bass caught, but not sure what they were throwing.

#203 May-29-15 12:15PM

T.
Patagonian Toothfish

I'm thinking the shallows might not be that good for bass after being dried out for a long time unless the baitfish are there finding things to eat.  Any crayfish that didn't follow the water or were in a creek channel are gone.

I'll be out there early tomorrow before heading to work midday.

#204 May-29-15 12:49PM

Ernie
Administrator

When we were there on Tuesday evening for the meeting, a couple of yakers came down but thought the best of it not to launch.

Be prepared to pay a fee to launch.....NVRPA will be in the house.

Time to go fishin' again!

#205 May-30-15 8:06AM

T.
Patagonian Toothfish

I had a successful morning, I'll post the details after work.

#206 Jun-02-15 7:41AM

Ernie
Administrator

It will be interesting to know how much the res went up after our downpours last night and rain today.

#207 Jun-02-15 9:09AM

RippinLips

Supposedly NOVA parks is going to hold a volunteer day down at Beaverdam within the next couple of weeks to pick up all the trash that is on shore.  More information will be posted at the NOVA parks website.

#208 Jun-03-15 8:23AM

Ernie
Administrator

RippinLips wrote:

Supposedly NOVA parks is going to hold a volunteer day down at Beaverdam within the next couple of weeks to pick up all the trash that is on shore.  More information will be posted at the NOVA parks website.

This will be a good event. Lots of old trash in the shallows as the water comes up.

They have plans to open the hiking trails as well.

#209 Jun-05-15 7:22AM

dan

Ernie wrote:

It will be interesting to know how much the res went up after our downpours last night and rain today.

Indeed, we got a TON of rain.  I think I have about 4 inches in my Jeep.  I haven't been in the water since Monday morning.

#210 Jun-22-15 8:25AM

HokieDJ

Is it true that that have started charging a $4 launch fee there?  Someone on a facebook group said some young kid was charging people to launch there now.

#211 Jun-22-15 10:25AM

Ernie
Administrator

I had a private discussion with Ken about this.....the young kid works for NVRPA. If he doesn't, then we have a young entrepreneur wannabe out there.

As you know, NVRPA is overseeing the reservoir now and we hope for the same in the future.

Yes, they will charge a ramp fee just like every other park. And when it is all said and done, it will be an outstanding facility.

Long story but the res is open mainly because the Park Authority will oversee it.

#212 Jun-22-15 10:51AM

HokieDJ

Gotcha, I don't mind the fee.. just came out of no where.

#213 Jun-22-15 10:59AM

Ernie
Administrator

I had reported that on here somewhere along with the new signage.....lots of info has been going back and forth. We want to amke sure all is good at the res so LoWater doesn't change their minds.

#214 Aug-03-15 12:53PM

dan

I'm sure you guys have noticed, there are quite a few commercial ventures popping up at the reservoir.  In conversations with NVRPA it has come to light that this sort of activity is not allowed at any NVRPA facility without written approval.  At this time, there is no entity that has approval to operate commercially at Beaverdam.  There seems to be a bit of a communication issue about this policy with the site attendants, hopefully that will be remedied soon.

For the record, I don't have a problem with well organized commercial ventures that actually pay the launch fees (like the rest of us), work around peak usage times and/or limit the size of their groups and have NVRPA approval.

#215 Aug-03-15 1:36PM

Ernie
Administrator

Thanks Dan...this is really good to know and I agree with your comment about paying the fees. But each vessel needs to pay up.

#216 Dec-03-15 3:25PM

T.
Patagonian Toothfish

Every evening this week fire/rescue has been at the reservoir doing training with their boats.

#217 May-25-16 7:33AM

Ernie
Administrator

Here is a note that Sue Crosby (Director, communications, Loudoun Water) just sent out this morning...

Good morning all,

As you know,  Loudoun Water and NOVA Parks hosted a community open house at the National Recreation and Park Association this past October to gather input on recreational uses and other ideas to shape the greater vision for Beaverdam Reservoir.

Approximately 200 people participated. They represented a broad range of interests, including personal safety, environmental education, recreational use, nature enthusiasts and local resident perspectives.

The “Beaverdam Reservoir Spring Update” newsletter (link below) provides an overview of the meeting and is the first opportunity for the community to review the range of input and ideas provided at the open house. It also provides a quick review of the reservoir public access schedule.

https://www.loudounwater.org/sites/defa … 202016.pdf

We plan to share this update with the community. Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions.  Additional information can be found on our website at https://www.loudounwater.org.

Thanks so much!

Sue

#218 May-25-16 9:02AM

AbuMasgouf
Northern Snakehead
Website

Thanks for keeping us in the loop Ernie.

Although I like the idea of picnic tables, I kind of agree that it will take away from the natural scenery and take away from the place being water specific  (kayaking, fishing, rowing, etc). Just my thoughts

Mustafa
ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
2016 Hobie Outback
"Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam Al'Sadiq (p)

#219 May-25-16 11:18AM

Ernie
Administrator

Everyone has to win at Beverdam or we lose it. I think t is big enough to have areas for picnics etc.

point in case....many years ago, I was the president of a Little League (Sterling) that had 1000+ kids. We were in desperate need of fields. Dr. Claude Moore donated a bunch of land to be used and enjoyed. The CM foundation leadership did not want fields. I met with them (and the county) with a plan to put the fields butted up against Park View HS. They accepted it and now there are baseball and soccer fields as well as a swimming pool.

The natural beauty of Vestals Gap road was not disturbed and remained natural.

Everyone won!!

#220 May-25-16 11:21AM

AbuMasgouf
Northern Snakehead
Website

Ernie wrote:

Everyone has to win at Beverdam or we lose it. I think t is big enough to have areas for picnics etc.

point in case....many years ago, I was the president of a Little League (Sterling) that had 1000+ kids. We were in desperate need of fields. Dr. Claude Moore donated a bunch of land to be used and enjoyed. The CM foundation leadership did not want fields. I met with them (and the county) with a plan to put the fields butted up against Park View HS. They accepted it and now there are baseball and soccer fields as well as a swimming pool.

The natural beauty of Vestals Gap road was not disturbed and remained natural.

Everyone won!!

That's a great point. We certainly don't want to loose it and if done right, everyone wins! smile

Mustafa
ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
2016 Hobie Outback
"Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam Al'Sadiq (p)

#221 May-25-16 11:44AM

Ernie
Administrator

AbuMasgouf wrote:

if done right, everyone wins! smile

That's the hope....

#222 May-25-16 2:01PM

gonefishing

I like the idea of adding walleye to the restocking.

I also like "Extended access for fishermen (before sunrise, after
sunset) – special permits needed?"

Some of you may disagree, but I wouldn't mind seeing them allow gas motors under 10HP the way Fountain Head allows it. Beaverdam is pretty big and it would allow for us to explore it a bit more. Plus I think its safer to have both a gas motor and electric trolling motor in your boat as a form of redundancy.

At the very least allow it on special occasions, certain times of year or for specific fishing tournaments.

#223 Jun-01-16 11:32AM

Ernie
Administrator

Dan Turlik (Loudoun Paddlers Club) just posted this: Got word from Chris at NOVA Parks. The official close date for the reservoir is Nov 1 2016. Re-opening in 2019. Enjoy the summer, after this its a long break!

#224 Jun-02-16 1:19PM

mkupchyk

Wow....that is terrible news. I was about to invest in some kayaks for the family to mainly enjoy at BDR so good to know this before getting all geared-up, but still very disappointing. The Spring Update says: "The dam and spillway at Beaverdam need to be repaired and as a result, the reservoir will temporarily close to allow for the renovations."

Yet they were already making repairs when it was drained over the last few years. Seems like that process was not handled very well if they need to close for another 2-3 years. Why not take care of everything at the same time.

#225 Jun-02-16 3:21PM

Ernie
Administrator

mkupchyk wrote:

Wow....that is terrible news. I was about to invest in some kayaks for the family to mainly enjoy at BDR so good to know this before getting all geared-up, but still very disappointing. The Spring Update says: "The dam and spillway at Beaverdam need to be repaired and as a result, the reservoir will temporarily close to allow for the renovations."

Yet they were already making repairs when it was drained over the last few years. Seems like that process was not handled very well if they need to close for another 2-3 years. Why not take care of everything at the same time.

This is not new news as we have been following it closely since the debacle of closing it by Loudoun Water.

They fixed some valves earlier and assessed what needed to be done to the dam. They held a public meeting and said it would take 2+ years to get the work done. They then reopened the res for us to use for 2 years. Original plan called for a 5 year closure.

Board footer