Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Sep-08-14 3:19PM

Ernie
Administrator

The new future of Beaverdam Reservoir

A few of us met with LoCo Water late this afternoon. They are starting to reach out to stakeholders as they move forward. As announcement is forthcoming (maybe Tuesday).

In my opinion, they listened to he stakeholders and felt some political pressure.

The bottom line is that they want to reopen the res at some point as a passive outdoor facility. This means no gas motors. They have to work out the chase boat issue for the rowers.

It appears that work will start soon ( I hope the fish survive) and they will be drawing down the res so they can inspect the pipes, remove the tower, fix the dam etc.

I see this as good news as they are moving forward now instead of waiting. No timeline yet on when work will be done as they have not started. What they find will determine how long they keep it closed for repairs.

They will also be commissioning a land use study that will give them some options as to what to do.

Also at the meeting was a rep from NVRPA which is good news. Perhaps a partnership is in the making.

Lastly, I will be on the "task team" moving forward and will advise them on what stakeholders want/need. Any input is welcomed!

Time to go fishin' again!

#2 Sep-08-14 6:00PM

drxfish
Patagonian Toothfish

Re: The new future of Beaverdam Reservoir

That is great news, Ernie!  I was just thinking about how I missed the reservoir as I flew over on my flight out yesterday.  Keeping the constant pressure on is key as they could easily make reopening a low priority.  Good to know we have a great advocate working on the team.  I honestly feel the regulations were good before the rowing teams got on, but I'm just an old fisherman.  Working with NVRPA is a good move to get someone to control things and hopefully help keep it clean.

Always wishin' I was fishin'

#3 Sep-09-14 1:13AM

Bruce
Northern Snakehead

Ernie,
Thanks for the hard work and dedication toward this issue. We couldn't ask for a better person to represent all of us going forward.
Bruce

#4 Sep-09-14 1:13PM

AbuMasgouf
Northern Snakehead
Website

Bruce wrote:

Ernie,
Thanks for the hard work and dedication toward this issue. We couldn't ask for a better person to represent all of us going forward.
Bruce

Totally agree with that statement!

Mustafa
ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
2016 Hobie Outback
"Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam Al'Sadiq (p)

#5 Sep-09-14 1:23PM

Ernie
Administrator

I am going to represent the fishermen. There are a few others on the team that represent other outdoor water and/or land related activities. They are good folks who have done lots on this issue.

But we have a long way to go before we get to use the reservoir again.

#6 Sep-12-14 8:34PM

dan

Good seeing you again Ernie.  Perhaps I was in a more glass half empty mood at the meeting.  Here is what I heard:

Old news:
-We promise, we'll open it back up (good to hear again, but still old news)
-The place is dangerous, dangerous we tell you, we're going to be doing all sorts of things...really busy....
-We're going to be looking for stakeholder input, we're talking to NVRPA
-We have no dates for anything, not from draining to opening back up to rec users...none.

New news:
-The rowers have been kicked out

Anyway, they promised a press release... it didn't seem to actually make it into any newspapers that I saw...probably because there was no new news!  Leesburg today had already reported the rowers were getting kicked out the week before.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.loudounwater.org/News-You-Ca … Reservoir/

Utility Commits to Re-Open the Reservoir after the Project is Completed
Loudoun Water announced that Beaverdam Creek Reservoir is closed to all users, including Loudoun Rowing, effective September 9.  The reservoir water levels are being lowered and as a result, all access is prohibited.

"At the direction of our engineering consultants, we are starting to drain the reservoir as part of our evaluation phase of the project," said Loudoun Water Chief Executive Fred Jennings.  "These activities simply make the area too dangerous for the rowing community.  The reservoir will be closed until we are finished with all phases of the renovation, including planning, evaluation, design and construction.  However, Loudoun Water is committed to re-opening the reservoir for managed public recreation as soon as the job is done."

Loudoun Water is in discussions with Northern Virginia Regional Park Authority (NOVA Parks) to determine the best arrangement to manage the reservoir for public use after construction is complete.  Loudoun Water is also planning to conduct a land-use management study.  This process will call for considerable stakeholder involvement.

"Ultimately, we want the reservoir to be safely enjoyed by all.  Guided by our overall planning process, we will balance our primary responsibility to protect and maintain the reservoir as a long-term drinking water resource with the community's desire to enjoy the scenic and tranquil surroundings that Beaverdam provides," said Jennings.

Loudoun Water purchased the 600-acre Beaverdam Creek Reservoir and surrounding land along with the Goose Creek Reservoir, Goose Creek Water Treatment Plant and water transmission pipeline along the W&OD Trail to the Fairfax County line in January 2014.  The purchase was part of a $30 million deal with the City of Fairfax.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyway, we're far from done.  We're going to be keeping the pressure on them to stay on task.  This isn't over until the fat lady sings.  Stay tuned, we're going to need everyone's help here.

#7 Sep-13-14 3:02PM

Ernie
Administrator

Dan- I have never heard them say they were going to open it up again until Monday night. They hinted (before) that they might, but never said it.

Saying that, we have to work with what we have. If they want to play nice, I expect them to do so. What they realize is that the BOS are the ones who put the LoCo Water board in place and they were keenly aware that could change with the voice of the people. Chairman Rocca even said so at the meeting.

There is no way they would have any dates now...but they should once they find out what they have to do. We have to give them a little time to assess.

I plan on  taking them up on their offer to be on the "stakeholder input team" and will monitor what they are doing.

For me, the fact that they called a meeting was a good step. I am used to dealing with monopoly agencies and the best way to make sure they say to their word is to work alongside, monitor and let them know that you will be vocal if things look like they are being derailed. If you fight them...they fight right back and slow things down.

We have to work with the hand that has been dealt.

NVRPA will be a key cog but not the only one.

#8 Sep-13-14 8:14PM

dan

Ernie, they said they would open it back up at the July 31 meeting and had it in print on their FAQs that they recently took down.  I have a copy if you need to see it.

"Our objective is to create a plan that, first and foremost, manages the reservoir as a drinking water resource, while supporting an appropriate level of public use and enjoyment after renovations have been completed."

A month ago our BOS were calling for immediate access.  Now everyone is happy with a promise we already had?

#9 Sep-14-14 5:12AM

Ernie
Administrator

It's not about being happy....we get a foot in the door and keep moving forward.

Bottom line is the we need to keep the pressure on and work with them to get the res open again as soon as possible.

#10 Sep-14-14 6:20PM

dan

I agree Ernie.

Meanwhile looks like people in FFX are a bit miffed too now:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/res … story.html

#11 Sep-29-14 7:30AM

Ernie
Administrator

Although I have been in touch with LoCo Water they have not yet set up the Stakeholder meetings.

We did receive a bad blow when Sup. Clarke announced she was not running for another term. Dan had set up a great relationship and process with her. Hopefully, vice-chair Williams will stay very involved.

#12 Sep-29-14 8:19AM

LouisD

Of course we're not the only ones around here having these sorts of acrimonious discussions!  Hopefully we'll get access back more quickly than this:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/man … story.html

#13 Sep-29-14 10:40AM

Ernie
Administrator

Yep....that's one of the fears.

#14 Oct-21-14 11:48AM

Kicknstang

Stopped by the Res yesterday as I could see it was drained down from Belmont Ridge. It is drained extremely low! I could see the old bridge I always hear about. I walked out onto the old rowers dock (which is just laying in the dirt now) and snapped as many pics as I could. I then drove over to a new neighborhood by the dam and parked. I cautiously walked up to and on top of the dam (shhhhh, don't tell anyone) to take more pictures. There is still a good amount of water on that end in the corner where the tower is and down the middle where the old creek channel is. There is probably 25-30' of tower showing below the old water line. I'm not sure how deep it gets over there. I hope they keep it near this level so the fish will survive. I'm gonna try reservoir rd and another dock I know of off Belmont Ridge to get as many pics as possible while it's down. Anyone have any new news on it? There wasn't any equipment at the dam. Just a couple trucks parked near the pumping station. I can upload pics if somebody tells me how to di it.

#15 Oct-21-14 1:22PM

AbuMasgouf
Northern Snakehead
Website

Kicknstang wrote:

Stopped by the Res yesterday as I could see it was drained down from Belmont Ridge. It is drained extremely low! I could see the old bridge I always hear about. I walked out onto the old rowers dock (which is just laying in the dirt now) and snapped as many pics as I could. I then drove over to a new neighborhood by the dam and parked. I cautiously walked up to and on top of the dam (shhhhh, don't tell anyone) to take more pictures. There is still a good amount of water on that end in the corner where the tower is and down the middle where the old creek channel is. There is probably 25-30' of tower showing below the old water line. I'm not sure how deep it gets over there. I hope they keep it near this level so the fish will survive. I'm gonna try reservoir rd and another dock I know of off Belmont Ridge to get as many pics as possible while it's down. Anyone have any new news on it? There wasn't any equipment at the dam. Just a couple trucks parked near the pumping station. I can upload pics if somebody tells me how to di it.

Good intel! I for one would be interested in looking at the pics specifically the old bridge I too have heard about.

Ernie has a thread on how to post pics:

http://www.pacemakerfishing.com/forum/v … hp?id=4166

Photobucket has been updated since but all the instructions still apply

Last edited by AbuMasgouf (Oct-21-14 1:22PM)

Mustafa
2016 Hobie Outback
"Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam Al'Sadiq (p)

#16 Oct-21-14 2:18PM

drxfish
Patagonian Toothfish

That is one way to keep people away,  Drain it.  No visible work - no surprise.  Sux.

#17 Oct-21-14 3:08PM

Ernie
Administrator

Yes to pictures...thanks for the info.

From what I know, they needed to test the drain pipes 1st. I hope that is what they are doing. I will inquire....

#18 Oct-21-14 3:12PM

Ernie
Administrator

Mustafa- thanks for posting the instructions.....

Time for another lunch?

#19 Oct-21-14 3:43PM

AbuMasgouf
Northern Snakehead
Website

Ernie wrote:

Mustafa- thanks for posting the instructions.....

Time for another lunch?

Definitely! How's your Thursday looking? Send me an email or text smile

Mustafa
2016 Hobie Outback

#20 Oct-22-14 11:21AM

Ernie
Administrator

I talked to LoWa today. They drained the lake and had to replace many valves as expected. They will refill it (naturally).

Here is a link to their site: http://www.loudounwater.org/Residential … enovation/

They will try to keep us up to date.

I expect the Stakeholders group to form during the 1st part of 2015.

What was best about today is that I got an immediate response form Mark and he gave me the update.

#21 Oct-22-14 11:25AM

drxfish
Patagonian Toothfish

Thanks for the update, Ernie.

#22 Oct-23-14 6:23AM

NOVAhunter
Northern Snakehead

Check out the loudoun paddlers facebook page. Tim Sheuerman has posted some photos of the res on there. It is as low as I have seen it during the worst summer drought.

#23 Oct-23-14 10:23AM

Kicknstang

#24 Oct-23-14 1:44PM

bart2puck
Northern Snakehead

any idea whats making it so low? i dont think drought is the answer, hasnt been THAT bad this year....are they draining it?

#25 Oct-23-14 2:13PM

Curly
Patagonian Toothfish

bart2puck wrote:

....are they draining it?

yes......lowering the water level.  See post #20 above in this thread..............

Last edited by Curly (Oct-23-14 2:13PM)

Hell or High Water...........I'm Fishin!!   big_smile

Board footer