Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Aug-25-14 12:09PM

Ernie
Administrator

8-25-14, Lander to POR float

John Nguyen and I had the morning free so we gave it a shot.

One thing about a yak float is that there is a lot to prepare for as you load your gear then unload it to drop off one truck then unload it again at the put in. It takes time....and that is time that could be well spent fishing. A boat is o much easier. Hmmmm....I wonder if a jet is in store for the future?

Anyway, it was a glorious day!

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj320/Kiko13PB/New%20Kiko/001_zps7ee4e2a9.jpg

John used his fly gear and I went conventional (2 spinning and 1 baitcaster).

John caught the 1st one but he didn't want to show it to me since it was an @2" smallie!

I kept getting some pecks (BGs).....

Then I heard him say "fish on" and I saw a nice bow on this 8wt. I knew itb was a good fish. Then I saw it jump...it WAS a good fish!. He expertly netted it and I got a nice shot of it.

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj320/Kiko13PB/New%20Kiko/002_zps7763690e.jpg

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj320/Kiko13PB/New%20Kiko/003_zps9b4425db.jpg

Just after the pic, I hooked a nice one near where John caught his. He jumped, looked and me and spit the hook out!

I kept getting pecked at as we drifted some more.

Then, after some rapids, I got behind a rock and was able to cast to some seams. Fish On!

Fish off! I could not believe it. This one took some drag but he brushed the line on the rocks and I lost it. Aargh!!!

More drifting and then I hear John call out. I look and he is in the water. Oh, oh....

I get there and he tells me he had just caught a nice 17 incher and on his next cast, he got wrapped and it all came apart. His Orvis rod/reel took a bath.

We looked for 45 minutes and could find nothing. He lost his net as well.

We needed to get back for our appointments so we called it a loss. John lit up a stogie as we paddled back. As we neared a big rock, I saw a stick. I told John to go take a look at it. It was his rod/reel! No way! I was so exited....what a find! It was 150 yards downstream! What was bad is now good!

We were just a little late getting back but very satisfied with the last catch!

Time to go fishin' again!

#2 Aug-25-14 6:49PM

drxfish
Patagonian Toothfish

Re: 8-25-14, Lander to POR float

Way to make a nice save!  Good pics!

Always wishin' I was fishin'

#3 Aug-26-14 10:18AM

hookup
Patagonian Toothfish

Fish off! I could not believe it. This one took some drag but he brushed the line on the rocks and I lost it. Aargh!!!

Called a heartbreak.  Hate when that happens but builds character.

Good eyes on recovering the rod/reel  - wish you were there when I lost mine earlier this year.

#4 Aug-26-14 11:57AM

Ernie
Administrator

hookup wrote:

Good eyes on recovering the rod/reel  - wish you were there when I lost mine earlier this year.

That water was too cold for me when you lost yours!

Time to go fishin' again!

Board footer