HoleyRockofTX
Website

Re: The future of Beaverdam Reservoir

nice

#29 Jul-15-14 9:41AM

dan

Just got the news from Supervisor Clarke:

"Thursday, July 30 from 7-9:30 p.m. Loudoun Water’s Beaverdam Reservoir Community Meeting will be held at Stone Hill Middle School (23415 Evergreen Ridge Dr., Ashburn) in the auditorium."

We need as many in attendance as possible!

#30 Jul-15-14 11:11AM

Ernie
Administrator

Thanks....but same night as Potomac River Smallmouth Club. I will try to make it.

Time to go fishin' again!

#31 Jul-15-14 2:21PM

GregF
Northern Snakehead

July 30th is a Wednesday.  Is it on Wednesday July 30th or Thursday, July 31st?

#32 Jul-15-14 4:09PM

Ernie
Administrator

GregF wrote:

July 30th is a Wednesday.  Is it on Wednesday July 30th or Thursday, July 31st?

Good catch....hopefully Dan will see it.

#33 Jul-16-14 6:27PM

dan

I cut and pasted from the news letter...honest!  Anyway I checked with Clarke, its Wed the 30th.  So.....Ernie..which day is the Smallmouth club???? big_smile  Don't tell us you are washing your hair the other night.

#34 Jul-16-14 6:33PM

Ernie
Administrator

Smallies club meeting is on Wednesday as well so we may lose a couple but I will be at the Beaverdam meeting since it's not hair day.

#35 Jul-18-14 8:06AM

Ernie
Administrator

By the way, we are 19 signatures away from 1000! It would be great to reach the 1000 mark before our meeting on the 30th.

While I realize that most of us don't fish Beavardam that often, it is  great place to fish when the rivers are blown out. Paul N. would say it's a great place to fish period ad he has pulled many hogs out of the deep.

#36 Jul-18-14 4:52PM

drxfish
Patagonian Toothfish

I am out of town, so I will not be able to make it.

Always wishin' I was fishin'

#37 Jul-21-14 9:54AM

Go0phy

Rallied some petitioners from friends and family that were unaware of the situation. We should be over 1000 soon!

#38 Jul-21-14 10:15AM

Ernie
Administrator

Go0phy wrote:

Rallied some petitioners from friends and family that were unaware of the situation. We should be over 1000 soon!

12 more to go!

#39 Jul-22-14 1:06PM

dan

5 to go!

#40 Jul-22-14 2:21PM

Ernie
Administrator

dan wrote:

5 to go!

We will get the 1000 before the meeting next week. There are some great comments as well....any way to get these printed out?

I know some of the politicians don't give much credence to these petitions but they better pay attention to the number of them and the passion of the writers.

If I had a choice, I would have changed water companies in an instant!

#41 Jul-25-14 3:02PM

Ernie
Administrator

We will surpass 1000 signers tonight!

Well done!

#42 Jul-25-14 4:58PM

Ernie
Administrator

Done!

1000 has been met!

#43 Jul-30-14 12:14PM

dan

So who all is going to the meeting tonight?  Supervisor Clarke just sent out this update today:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Beaverdam Reservoir - As many of you know, this reservoir, located in the Blue Ridge District, was owned by Fairfax City for over 60 years and was recently purchased by Loudoun Water.  Loudoun Water is a separate entity from the County Board and, unfortunately, they quickly made a decision to close off public access to the reservoir while they figure out how to manage access and prepare for the approximate $30 million in infrastructure upgrades they must implement.  The reservoir must be upgraded to meet the Virginia dam safety design and regulatory criteria, as well as to address safety and land use management issues.  Construction will correct deficiencies that include inadequate spillway and conveyance capacity, stability and integrity of the dam embankment (seepage), stability and integrity of the intake tower and the tower access bridge, secure pump station capability as well as other items.

Based on the community outcry regarding the access, I have met with Loudoun Water and constituents who live adjacent to the reservoir. This is a reminder that the Loudoun Water community information session is tonight, July 30 at Stone Hill Middle School in the Auditorium at 7:00 p.m. I have asked the General Manager, Fred Jennings, to request the Loudoun Water Chairman, Mr. Johnny Rocca, and other Water Board members to be present. However, I have not heard yet if any of their Board will be in attendance.  I also asked for a timeline for their plans to be presented.

#44 Jul-31-14 5:43AM

Ernie
Administrator

Congrats to the team that has been leading this effort.....

The meeting went well but we must remember that we are dealing with a monopoly. That is how they think and act.

Lots of people showed up...more than normally attend a Board of Supervisors meeting.

In attendance: 2 LoCo Supervisors, a rep from the Chairman's office, the former chair of DGIF, members of the Stone Bridge rowing team, a LoWa board member and 50 or so great citizens of Loudoun.

Many great comments were made as well as many questions (which they could not answer).

LoWa was unprepared for the quality of constituent that was in attendance. We were informed and armed with great info. They kept taking about teenagers swimming, gangs and graffiti.

I don't know if we changed anything but the pressure was definitely on them. The LoCo BOS is also going to keep the pressure on as they were impressed with the passion we have for this great resource.

We will update on any future meetings.

#45 Jul-31-14 1:06PM

dan

Great meeting notes Ernie and thanks to all those that attended.  I think LW thought that we were losing steam, we are not, we're gaining momentum.  I'm impressed with LoCo BOS response so far, neither Williams nor Clarke tried to sugar coat anything for LW's benefit, they asked tough questions.

I still need to crack LW ownership.  Last night Jennings barked that he was responsible to bondholders.  My understanding is that bonds are loans and the he is responsible for paying for them....with our money.

#46 Jul-31-14 2:12PM

Ernie
Administrator

I am still frothed that Jennings showed a 3 year old picture of teenagers jumping from the tower. Blatant misinformation as he said it was a "recent picture". He and Peterson have no clue of what reality realy is. He needs to make a public apology and I will ask him to do so if I am able to go to a LoWa Board meeting.

There were many other bits and bytes of misinformation weaved in through his presentation. I mentioned to someone that I would like to go line by line as to what he said and presented. I bet that 30-40% of it was just fluffy stuff that has no basis of truth or reality. The plan is merely a skeleton and it was mentioned to someone, there is no finishing point. They will study this until we go away.....and never reopen the resource.

#47 Jul-31-14 2:21PM

drxfish
Patagonian Toothfish

Great job, guys!  Ernie is exactly correct that they do not intend to re-open and will not do so unless pressure is maintained.  We need to see if we can get state representation involved as this affects the state when we lose a recreational resource.

Always wishin' I was fishin'

#48 Jul-31-14 2:34PM

Ernie
Administrator

Hey John!! Let's retire and become LoWa Board members. I wonder what the pay is?

#49 Jul-31-14 2:45PM

Ernie
Administrator

Annual reports always make for good reading....

http://www.loudounwater.org/Workarea/LC … FR_web.pdf

#50 Jul-31-14 6:37PM

Ernie
Administrator

Board footer