Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Jun-10-14 4:16AM

Bruce
Northern Snakehead

Shenandoah on 6/9

Fished the South Fork of the Shenandoah yesterday with a friend using a 4 man raft rented from Front Royal Canoe company. We chose the trip called SP2, which launches from the State Park and allows you to float-fish for 5 miles down to their pick-up spot at Karo Landing. Weather report was iffy but the actual day turned out perfect. No rain, partly cloudy, and temps in the low 80's. We started catching smallies right after launching...although they were mostly small in the 6-10" range. Best lure was a white roostertail in 1/4oz. size. Platics bite picked up as the day went on with this nice 17.5" smallie coming about mid-day on a tube.

http://i1254.photobucket.com/albums/hh616/brucer123/Shenandoah1.jpg

Right after lunch, I saw a HUGE smallie swimming along a ledge in about 5 feet of water. I know she was more than 20". Wish she would have been interested in a Senko snack. Maybe next time.

Bites were sporadic in the afternoon as we caught a variety of bluegills, smallies, and one rock bass (google eye/red eye). Then I got another strong hit on a watermelon senko and landed this beauty.

http://i1254.photobucket.com/albums/hh616/brucer123/Shenandoah2.jpg

Based upon the fight and the difficulty in landing her, I would have bet she was much bigger than the earlier big one, but alas she also measured in at 17.5".

Both of these bigger smallies looked thin for their length, but they had beautiful dark coloration.

Overall, we landed about 40 smallies, 6 bluegills, and the one rock bass. Plus we had the added benefit of almost having exclusive use of this beautiful section of the river for the whole day. It sure is a blessing to be able to fish during the week instead of the weekend.

Last edited by Bruce (Jun-11-14 2:44AM)

#2 Jun-10-14 5:12AM

Ernie
Administrator

Re: Shenandoah on 6/9

Looks like you had a great day all around!

Time to go fishin' again!

#3 Jun-10-14 5:44AM

drxfish
Patagonian Toothfish

Looks like fun!  Nice report.

Always wishin' I was fishin'

#4 Jun-10-14 6:13AM

GregF
Northern Snakehead

Nice job.  The Shenandoah is a real gem.  I am surprised they allow fishing from a BLOW UP raft.  Hooks and big balloons don't mix very well.

#5 Jun-11-14 2:42AM

Bruce
Northern Snakehead

GregF wrote:

Nice job.  The Shenandoah is a real gem.  I am surprised they allow fishing from a BLOW UP raft.  Hooks and big balloons don't mix very well.

Greg,
The material used for their rentals is like Kevlar. I don't think I could put a hook through it if I tried. They also rent tubes and floating coolers for the more adventuresome folks, as well as canoes and kayaks. What I like about them is they drop you off and pick you up and do all of the work loading and unloading the boat. And did I say what a beautiful section of the river you get to float? Catching fish is a bonus on this piece of water as far as I'm concerned.
Bruce

#6 Jun-11-14 3:40AM

John F
Website

Nice going ! It's been a few years but the last time was the same section and outfit . Good people and great section !

" Think Like a Fish "

#7 Jun-11-14 4:28AM

Ernie
Administrator

Bruce- I heard these guys have bankers hours...start at 9:30 or so. True/False?

#8 Jun-11-14 7:10AM

HoleyRockofTX
Website

Thx for posting.  I have been thinking about fishing there but this might have put me over the top.  I think I would bring my kayak however vs a raft.

#9 Jun-12-14 5:28PM

jffoley
Northern Snakehead

Nice job, Bruce!

Jealous not to be retired yet font...

Cobra Explorer Kayak
Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Co-Founder
www.cbkainc.com

#10 Jun-13-14 8:10AM

Bruce
Northern Snakehead

Ernie wrote:

Bruce- I heard these guys have bankers hours...start at 9:30 or so. True/False?

Ernie,
Yes...they open at 9am...and by the time you do the paperwork and take the shuttle it's about 9:30 to be on the water. You also must be off the water by 5:30pm.
Bruce

#11 Jun-13-14 8:13AM

Bruce
Northern Snakehead

HoleyRockofTX wrote:

Thx for posting.  I have been thinking about fishing there but this might have put me over the top.  I think I would bring my kayak however vs a raft.

You can bring your own kayak and they will shuttle you to an from your chosen route for a price. Prices for rentals and shuttles are on their website. Rental prices include the shuttle. Their site is:  www.frontroyalcanoe.com

Bruce

#12 Jun-13-14 8:14AM

Bruce
Northern Snakehead

jffoley wrote:

Nice job, Bruce!

Jealous not to be retired yet font...

Patience...that day will come and hopefully be not too far in the future for you.

#13 Jun-13-14 8:36AM

HoleyRockofTX
Website

Thx.  Is the current really strong?  I am use to fishing rivers in Texas where I Just turn around and paddle back to my launch point.

#14 Jun-13-14 8:40AM

Ernie
Administrator

HoleyRockofTX wrote:

Thx.  Is the current really strong? .

It is this week but normally it is a lazy float.

#15 Jun-14-14 1:19AM

Bruce
Northern Snakehead

Deeper stretches are slow and easy to paddle in either direction. White water sections would be difficult (note: too difficult for me) to paddle upstream.

#16 Jun-14-14 6:56AM

HoleyRockofTX
Website

Thx for the information.  My grandparents have land on a river in Texas which I have fished since I was little.  It has lots of rapids I paddle up and some i drag my kayak up.  It seems like it would be a great trip which I need to take soon.

Board footer