Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Jun-04-14 7:22PM

bart2puck
Northern Snakehead

Very Unbelievable fish catch

So I am on cedar today fishing with a soft plastic.  Caught about a dozen dinks but how i caught one of the fish i caught is the story.

I cast out, a few reels in, and i get a pop, i give the rod a slight tug to set the hook,  I know i am messing with dinks, so nothing to crazy.  as i set hook, my line break about halfway out.  So now there is 20 yards or so of fishing line floating on the top of the water kind of curled up over itself.  I spend a minute retying my line, and i string up a top water swim bait.  I cast out in to about the same area, and get a tug.  I set the hook,and realize i have snagged my old line floating on the water. but there is resistance.  so i reel in my swimbait carefully trying to keep my old line on the hook.  I get it in, and grab my old line.  Sure enough. I have a fish on my broken line.  The one that ate my soft plastic.  So now i have a fish on, and no rod or reel. a few moments later, with about 15 yards of fishing line wrapped around my hand/forearm, i land a nice lil 12" fish.

any of you have any crazy stories?

#2 Jun-05-14 4:43AM

Bruce
Northern Snakehead

Re: Very Unbelievable fish catch

Many years ago, when my son was about 10, we were fishing in the lower Potomac. His overhand cast went almost straight up and over a tree branch hanging about 30 feet above the water. The plastic lure settled into the water and he didn't realize he was over the branch. Once noticed, he tugged several times trying to dislodge the line from the branch. Because we were both looking up, we didn't notice that he had actually caught a yellow perch, and each attempt at dislodging the line would raise the perch about 3 feet out of the water and then back down into it. Kind of funny watching the perch appear to jump straight up out of the water, and then back down, about a dozen times before the branch let go of the line. The fish was landed and then released.

Another trip we were fishing with 3" mustard colored grubs on jigheads. He struck and hooked (in the mouth) a good-sized brown water snake. He got the fish boat side, and as he began to lift it out of the water, the line broke and the snake swam away. About 20 minutes later after drifting quite aways down river, I heard a banging sound near the boat's aluminum transom. A rhythmic bang-bang-bang. I looked back and there was the same snake climbing over the transom and now about 1/3 of the way into the back of the boat. As he moved his head left and right, the jighead, still in his mouth would bang the transom. Scared us both. I wasn't sure whether the snake was coming back for vengeance or whether he was coming back to persuade us to get the jighead out of his mouth. Didn't want to find out, so I grabbed my stiffest rod and managed to push him out of the boat and back into the water. Just to be safe, we then motored to a new spot about 2 miles away. Luckily, he didn't follow us that far.

Last edited by Bruce (Jun-05-14 4:45AM)

#3 Jun-11-14 7:21AM

HoleyRockofTX
Website

I dont have any crazy stories like you guys.  I did however catch a bass with a large red hook down this throat.  I was able to remove the hook and release him.  Im not sure how he planned on eating my lurer with that large hook blocking the way but either way he is better off now.

#4 Jul-07-14 1:58PM

bart2puck
Northern Snakehead

I have a new one.  Yesterday my brother cast up under a tree laying in the water and got a hit. fish swam with it for a second or two then he lost him.  my brother re-casted into same area and got another hit, and landed the fish. upon hook removal he saw that the fish had the soft plastic from the previous hit.  stupid fish....

#5 Jul-07-14 5:08PM

bigjeffie
Patagonian Toothfish

I had that hapen once. It was a small bass tho

Board footer