Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Apr-22-08 11:22AM

Ernie
Administrator

"In Fish" seasonal fishing progression

This question was asked on another board and the response from Fracis Zell is a classic. Francis is not yet 30 but fishes more than Curly! He is a very knowledgeable young man.

Here is his response:

I think this is a great question and I often wonder if I am doing the right thing.

March and April I fish the most. I keep my boat in the water and fish almost every day. I try to go before work and after it as well. Sometimes I can only do one or the other. They make for long days but when the big fish are so close and easy to get, you gotta get after them. I will have over 40 trips this year between March and April alone. I would have more but I missed a week when I blew my motor.

I pull my boat out of the water in April. Look at the damage to my credit card for fuel and regroup for a couple weeks.

Then the croaker start. Croaker fishing gets good the first few nights that it's warm enough where you can be comfortable in short sleeves all the time. I will leave Drury's around 6pm or so, and fish until 10pm. If I fish until midnight I'll drive straight to work to next day and sleep in the ol' truck for a few hours in a parking lot across the street.

During the weekends I might take one or two trips deep into the Eastern Shore to explore and look for specks. Because it normally means having a flat day, and running over 100 miles I'll keep it limited to good days with people I know who are willing to split expenses on the boat. Or, weekends directly after pay days.

Once the spot get here, I will go live lining a couple nights a week. There are a couple spots closer to Drury's marina that frequently provide a quick limit. I'll sneak out at 5, catch a limit on spot, and then look for some top water action. That lasts until September, right about the time where it is no longer comfortable to wear a short sleeved shirt all day.

October is a transitional month. There are either breakers everywhere and plenty of fish or it's the dead sea. It depends.

Then, it's CBBT time. This is when I hit it hard again and put another couple thousand on the old fishing credit card that I just paid off from last year. I bring the boat down and start fishing all weekend down there. Between all the weekends in Nov, Dev, and early Jan I probably miss one or two. I hate having my boat four hours away, so I sometimes go in what looks like bad weather just to make sure my boat is A-OK.

January is a little bit of power plant fishing depending on the weather, and some yellow perch fishing. February is a lot of yellow perch fishing and some more power plant fishing. Sometimes I can make a little progress on the fishing credit card during these months.

Then the boat goes back in the drink in March and it's every day again for another two months.

Time to go fishin' again!

#2 Apr-22-08 1:56PM

redskinsfan360
Patagonian Toothfish

Re: "In Fish" seasonal fishing progression

WOW!

Board footer