Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Apr-14-14 6:25AM

Craig

Oregon Inlet, NC (Sunday, April 13)

Had heard that the puppy drum fishing in the shallows around the inlet has been good lately - to quote a couple of pros at the ramp with towers on their boat for spotting fish, "as good as it's been this early in at least 10 years".

I struck out in the first few areas I tried but everywhere looked fishy. Big brown and black pelicans were crashing baitfish in the deeper water so I moved out and tried jigging on what looked to be glass minnows. Nothing underneath them that I could see. Moved back in shallow and started to see a few mullet getting chased. Foul hooked what we call a Longtom in Australia but I guess they are called a Houndfish over here. Finally saw a few schools of bigger fish moving in the shallows but spooked them before I could get a cast. Moved around with the electric motor trying to find them again but they were gone.

I kept moving along the ledge and a little later again I had a school of good sized puppy drum coming straight at me but by the time I killed the motor, they spooked right by the boat. One upper slot fish would have been close enough to net before hightailing it to the deep. I tossed jigs in a 360 around the boat but nada... Not the strongest start to the morning smile

Kept at it and an hour or so later I finally connected on a strong 23" while blind casting to a bank. Lots of fun and a good fight on light tackle and a now ripping outgoing tide. No other fish beyond that but that was good enough for my limit. Headed home with the first Redfish of 2014 and will be eating well tonight!

http://i.imgbox.com/Acq7H7rn.jpg

#2 Apr-14-14 6:26AM

Ernie
Administrator

Re: Oregon Inlet, NC (Sunday, April 13)

Craig wrote:

I finally connected on a strong 23" ]

That is what I like about theses reds......STRONG!

Well done!

Time to go fishin' again!

#3 Apr-14-14 3:21PM

John F
Website

Nice going ! My bro in-law will be down the first week of May.  I'm hoping to make it down for a long weekend  and surf fish .

" Think Like a Fish "

#4 Apr-15-14 6:26AM

Craig

Hi John - whereabouts will you be staying? If I'm down that weekend and you're interested, I might have room in the boat for you to come out in the sound on the Sat or Sun morning. It is a small 15ft tin boat... ain't pretty, but she floats smile

Trout should be reliable at that point, though catch and release till mid June. Let me know if/when you get down. Cheers!

#5 Apr-15-14 6:49AM

Ernie
Administrator

I miss the OBX....need to get back down there.

Time to go fishin' again!

Board footer