Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Apr-03-14 6:42PM

Dominion Dan
Patagonian Toothfish

Goodbye Virginia!

Big news! I recently accepted an offer to become an assistant buyer for rods, reels, and combos at the Dick's corporate office outside of Pittsburgh. It's a huge opportunity and I am very excited for a new challenge and adventure.
I will be moving by the end of the month. Sooooo, unfortunately I'm going to have to put away the frogs for a little while and maybe even try to figure out how to catch trout or something...

#2 Apr-03-14 6:46PM

Ernie
Administrator

Re: Goodbye Virginia!

Wow....hate to see you go but very happy for you! Carl would have been proud!

Lots of god fishing up there....

Congratulations on this assignment!

Let me know when you come back for a visit so we can chase some white perch!

Time to go fishin' again!

#3 Apr-03-14 8:15PM

Dominion Dan
Patagonian Toothfish

Will do Ernie. I'll still have vacation time this year which will undoubtedly be spent fishing down here. I will also now have a regular schedule so we should be able to get some weekend trips in.

If anyone has any tips on fishing up there I'd love to hear them.

#4 Apr-04-14 2:11AM

Bruce
Northern Snakehead

Dan,
I grew up outside of Pittsburgh and learned to fish on the waters near there. As you know, the point in downtown Pittsburgh is formed by the 3 rivers (Ohio, Monongahela, and Allegheny rivers); and they are a good place to start. Bassmasters held their Classic there in 2005. Smallies, largemouth, walleyes, tiger muskies, panfish, catfish, carp, etc. swim throughout the rivers. Some of the 3 rivers are better for one species or another...for example, if I wanted walleye, I'd probably hit the Allegheny. All are relatively narrow and mostly slow flowing, so kayaking there should be easy. There are some damns to contend with as well as barge traffic. Can't share any particular spots as it's been years since I've fished there. Several good lakes are north of town and Lake Erie is only about 2 hours from Pittsburgh. Biggest smallies and walleyes that I've ever seen and caught are there, as well as salmon runs during the season. Lots of trout streams north and east of downtown; but I never really fished for trout so I can't help you there. No saltwater fishing is anywhere nearby; but other than that, I think there are more fishable places with more species catchable than you have down here.

I'm sure you'll find many great fishing opportunities in Western PA, as well as some friendly people to help you acclimate to the area and the fishing opportunities. Hope you have a great experience. Keep us posted on how you are doing.
Bruce

#5 Apr-04-14 4:35AM

Ernie
Administrator

Speaking of Erie, Ben H. just bought a sweet, brand new Skeeter. You will see him as he is working out of HQ until the new F & S store is being built.

Time to go fishin' again!

#6 Apr-04-14 5:14AM

AndrewDo124
Patagonian Toothfish

Damn, Dan! Congrats on the new job but sad to see you go away! We might have to plan another camping/fishing trip. Simon's in PA too but i don't think he's in pittsburg

and thanks for the tips with the a300. i'm loving that thing.

Last edited by AndrewDo124 (Apr-04-14 5:14AM)

#7 Apr-05-14 7:14AM

Bass Hunter
Northern Snakehead

Congrats on your new position Dan. Gonna miss running into you at the Sterling store. Wish the very best in your new endeavor my friend!!

#8 Apr-06-14 12:17PM

redskinsfan360
Patagonian Toothfish

Congratulations!  Will hate to see you leave our dicks store, but good luck!

#9 Apr-09-14 9:05PM

purpleworm
Northern Snakehead

Congrats Dan, that is awesome. Buying fishing tackle for a living is pretty much a dream job for many of us on here! Haha

Again congrats, and best of luck with your new endeavor!

#10 Apr-10-14 6:48PM

CozUF2001
Patagonian Toothfish
Website

Best of luck Dan!

If it were easy, they'd call it catching!

#11 Apr-14-14 2:38PM

mjuarez

Best of Luck Dan... it was nice fishing with you last Summer...  email me if  you ever come down to Jupiter,FL

Miguel

Live to fish. Forced to work.

Board footer