Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Feb-25-14 8:13AM

IL_DUCE

Kayak Paddle

After doing a search, I didn't find much info on the forum specifically about kayak paddles. I was wondering which paddles guys on here have, what past experiences have been with brands and materials - positive or negative. I understand experiences and applications will be different based on the bodies of water where I will use the paddle (reservoir, large lake, Potomac, etc). Thanks for any help you all can offer. The warm weather this past weekend got me excited for fishing, then the snow this morning was evidence of the harsh reality that it is in fact still February.

Last edited by IL_DUCE (Feb-25-14 8:16AM)

#2 Feb-26-14 5:11AM

hookup
Patagonian Toothfish

Re: Kayak Paddle

A kayak paddle is your motor.  It should be light weight & strong with little to no flex.

I like Warners - they cost a bit more, but are some of the best in the market.  If the price is too steep, buy used.

I also like a white water paddle that's shorter, has bigger blade for more purchase in the water, and is angled from 30d to 45d.

But that's me.

When you buy, think about weight, matieral, the angle, drip pads, padded grips and cost.

#3 Feb-26-14 5:27AM

Ernie
Administrator

Excellent answer George....I also think the size of the yak (and person) makes a difference. I don't like a short paddle most of the time with my 13 footer but that's me. I like the shorter for maneuvering. But I can't carry 2 paddles. I still use the heavier ones and can paddle all day long with no issues. I also focus some of my work outs to make sure my shoulders get some attention.

The angle thing is something I want to explore more.

Time to go fishin' again!

#4 Feb-26-14 6:19AM

IL_DUCE

Thank you gentlemen for your answers. I will now be looking for a Warner.  I know I need a paddle in the 230-240 range since the kayak, an Old Town Vapor 10, is relatively wide. I have tried a shorter paddle with this boat and did not like it very much. The idea of a bigger blade is definitely something worth researching on my end.

#5 Feb-26-14 9:49AM

Redfish12
Northern Snakehead
Website

Good answers so far! I am a Hobie guy now and I don't spend a lot of time thinking about paddles these days. However, the paddling style that you prefer (high vs low/mid) will usually dictate paddle shaft length. I preferred a lower paddling stroke and went with a 230cm paddle in the lightest materials I could afford at the time. That was a bending branches 230cm angler with a fiberglass shaft. If you can spring for it, go with carbon fiber because this will make the biggest direct impact to your kayaking experience as it is your propulsion. If you are going to b casually paddling around (the vapor is more of a flat water boat and not a big distance boat) then check out one of the lower priced fiberglass paddles like the day tripper.

#6 Feb-27-14 5:28AM

IL_DUCE

Redfish - Thanks for the response. Most of my paddling is "casual," cruising around lakes and some creeks in the lower Potomac. I will keep my eye out for a deal on a carbon fiber paddle, but based on what you are saying, I feel confident I will be satisfied with a fiber glass shaft as well.

#7 Feb-28-14 8:27AM

hookup
Patagonian Toothfish

IL

I have a 195, 205, & 230 Warner if you want to paddle sometimes together & try one.  The 230 is a rec paddle, the other two are white water.  I got a Coosa & thought I needed a longer paddle, but the 205 works for my needs.

#8 Mar-05-14 8:08AM

IL_DUCE

Hookup - thanks a lot for the offer. I ended up getting a Werner Skagit Hooked 230. Very impressed with its construction and light weight. Looking forward to putting it to use. I am ashamed to say, I have had this kayak for 2 years, but between work and school have not even taken the plastic off . . . that will change this summer.

Board footer