Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Feb-07-14 8:12PM

Paul Naj
Northern Snakehead

Loudoun Purchases Beaverdam, Goose Creek Reservoirs

http://www.leesburgtoday.com/news/loudo … 963f4.html

This is interesting. Wonder if it's going to change access etc.

#2 Feb-11-14 10:58AM

hookup
Patagonian Toothfish

Re: Loudoun Purchases Beaverdam, Goose Creek Reservoirs

Only difference I see is that Loudoun residents will now pay more for their water to foot the purchase bill

#3 Apr-22-14 5:50PM

Paul Naj
Northern Snakehead

Well.... here it is. Just what I was worried about. This is awful news.

http://www.leesburgtoday.com/news/loudo … f887a.html

#4 Apr-22-14 6:15PM

Ernie
Administrator

Wow....

I wonder what they mean by the last sentence. Could it become a recreational Mecca? I wonder if the rowers will still be allowed to use it.

Time to go fishin' again!

#5 Apr-23-14 8:28AM

GregF
Northern Snakehead

they said "some authorized users".  I bet that means the rowers will still use it.  Hopefully they do this without killing too many fish.

#6 Apr-23-14 12:21PM

NOVAhunter
Northern Snakehead

“With this planning process, we will aim to appropriately complement Loudoun Water’s primary responsibility to protect and maintain the reservoir as a long- term drinking water resource with the desirability of creating a community resource.”

You would think the best way to do that would be to limit the number of homes being built upstream and along the banks (the development by the church for one) and keep it as a carry in access like it has been for years.  I don't want to see it turned into another Burke Lake or Lake Accotink.  As we all know, the great thing about BDR is from the second you decide you want to go fishing, you can be on the water in your kayak/canoe in about 20-25 minutes from ashburn depending on how many kids are hanging out on the floating pier.

#7 Apr-23-14 8:09PM

plan b

Super bummer.  As stated on my report from today I saw a cop when I pulled in and he said nothing as I grabbed my fishing tackle.  Note that I have caught fish each time in 3 trips over the last week and I lost a giant right at my feet today. Get out and fish it while you can... It really is a special lake and the big gals are feeding up as we speak.

#8 Apr-24-14 1:47PM

T.
Patagonian Toothfish

This is what is on the DGIF site now. 

This 350-acre water supply reservoir was recently sold by the City of Fairfax to Loudoun Water Authority. The new owners have closed the lake to all public access (except apparently rowing) for at least four years (planned until late 2018). For more information, contact Mark Peterson at 571-291-7942.

Closing it until they are actively involved in doing something where visitors would interfere is crap.

But I do know very well one of the cops assigned to the sector on the east side of the reservoir. He said, how can they expected to control access all the time?

#9 Apr-24-14 2:36PM

Ernie
Administrator

We will see what they post for signs ad where.....

#10 Apr-25-14 8:04AM

bigjeffie
Patagonian Toothfish

I thought we voted on this type of issue. No forum? Just 'closed'
Public property closed to the public afterhow many years?

and again, the only people down there will continue to be the problem types

#11 Apr-27-14 3:20PM

Ernie
Administrator

We need to voice our concerns and get Beaverdam Reservoir reopened for our use!

Please contact Mark Peterson (mpeterson@loudounwater.org), Executive Director of Stakeholder Relations, Loudoun Water. Telephone 571.291.7942.

#12 Apr-30-14 12:27PM

Ernie
Administrator

I have call in to Mr. Peterson.....will report back after I talk to him.

#13 Apr-30-14 1:12PM

GregF
Northern Snakehead

Copy of letter I sent to Mr. Peterson.  Maybe it will help spark ideas or help you frame your phone discussion with him.

Mark,
I am an avid fisherman and kayaker who lives in the Ashburn area and frequently enjoys taking my son out fishing and kayaking on Beaverdam Reservoir.  I saw the reports that Loudoun Water had purchased Beaverdam Reservoir and that you (Loudoun Water) planned to close the reservoir to all (except the rowers?) for the next 4 years while making improvements.  This seems an unfair and not well thought out plan.  Beaverdam Reservoir has been a local asset that we all value and do our best to take care of.  Closing it to all (except the rowers) will have a negative impact on the Loudoun County community around the Reservoir.  I have a few concerns:

1.     Why close the entire reservoir?  It is a large body of water.  I can’t imagine that work will be done on all access areas for the entire 4 years.  I would assume you need to do work on the dam, but that could be roped off with buoys to keep people away.  There are 2 main lake access points (opposite shores).  I can’t imagine that you couldn’t keep at least one open during the 4 year time period (alternate which one to do work on the other?).  I assume the rest of the reservoir will remain basically untouched.  Why can’t the public have access to the remaining areas of the lake?
2.    My understanding is that the high school rowers will continue to have access.  That is good.  If they have access, I really can’t understand why the rest of us can’t have access?  If they are safe to use the access roads, docks, and open water, the rest of us taxpayers should be safe as well.  The fact that the rowers are allowed to use the reservoir seems to negate any reason to prevent others from accessing the reservoir.  We are all taxpayers and ALL deserve to access to a public lake like Beaverdam Reservoir, not just a select group.
3.    I am one of many kayakers and fisherman living near Beaverdam.  We all work hard to take care of this body of water.  I know that some people leave trash and ruin the shoreline.  Those are not the kayakers and those people will still go there even if the “rules” say they can’t.   The boaters are generally the ones who will follow the rules, yet we are the people that will suffer the most.
4.    Part of the reason the new developments around Beaverdam have been so popular is their location and access to Beaverdam.  These are your new taxpayers.  Closing the reservoir will negatively affect these new homeowners (I live in Ashburn Village and do NOT own a house in that area).

Bottom line:  Please reconsider your plan to “close” Beaverdam Reservoir to most everyone.  I believe a more equitable plan can be developed that would not interfere with the work you have planned and would also allow the taxpayers to continue to benefit from access to the Reservoir.  I would appreciate a response to at least know you have heard my concerns and hopefully you will be able to let me know you are reconsidering the decisions and developing a plan to re-open the reservoir.

#14 Apr-30-14 1:36PM

Ernie
Administrator

Nice!!!!!

#15 Apr-30-14 2:45PM

T.
Patagonian Toothfish

I've finally got my message sent.

#16 May-03-14 5:30AM

Ernie
Administrator

No call back from Mr. Peterson yet.....keep sending letters!

#17 May-09-14 6:30PM

Ernie
Administrator

#18 May-09-14 6:35PM

T.
Patagonian Toothfish

Still no reply to my email.  I even asked some county water-related questions not related to this reservoir.

#19 May-10-14 2:51AM

firemunkee
Patagonian Toothfish

Pacemaker wrote:

http://www.change.org/petitions/loudoun-county-board-of-supervisors-allow-continued-access-of-beaver-dam-reservoir-for-the-public?recruiter=92796612&utm_campaign=signature_receipt&utm_medium=email&utm_source=share_petition

Signed. Thanks for sharing that, Ernie!

Together we'll fight the long defeat.

#20 May-12-14 6:31AM

Ernie
Administrator

Got this from someone that has been very active on this issue: Three of us went to the Loudoun Water Board of Director's meeting last Thursday - May 8.

Their excuse for closing is "liability". Group wishing to gain access must file a request, have insurance and they will consider groups on a case-by-case basis.

One of the guys started a website - beaverdamcreekreservoir.com

He is posting info and can use all the suggestions he can get.

Another good site is Facebook - "Clean Up Beaverdam"

#21 May-12-14 10:47AM

NOVAhunter
Northern Snakehead

Pacemaker wrote:

Their excuse for closing is "liability". Group wishing to gain access must file a request, have insurance and they will consider groups on a case-by-case basis.

This is interesting. I was at bicycle outfitters in brambleton last week talking to one of the guys who works there and he said they did a trail cleanup day at the reservoir  a few weeks ago and are working with the county to upgrade the current trails and put a mountain bike trail system around the reservoir. That throws out the insurance part of it.

If they are worried about the HS kids swimming out there in the summer then they should police it like they have the last few summers. I've seen them throwing out swimmers and checking canoes/kayaks/paddle boards for lifejackets the last few summers.

#22 May-12-14 12:05PM

GregF
Northern Snakehead

Why would boating on Beaverdam be any different than any other state or county owned body of water as far as insurance goes?  That doesn't make sense to me.  We don't have to sign waivers to go on Burke Lake.

#23 May-12-14 12:19PM

T.
Patagonian Toothfish

GregF wrote:

Why would boating on Beaverdam be any different than any other state or county owned body of water as far as insurance goes?  That doesn't make sense to me.  We don't have to sign waivers to go on Burke Lake.

Exactly

#24 May-12-14 3:53PM

bigjeffie
Patagonian Toothfish

Because somebody or body's in control have an agenda.
Who knows what and why.
Makes me sick-not that I even go over there.
Everyday in this country, more signs and rules and cameras.

#25 May-17-14 6:16AM

drxfish
Patagonian Toothfish

It looks to me that this is going the way of Lake Manassas.  I do not see access opening back up.  I was annoyed before, but now I am pissed that they can take away our access to such a great county resource.  Population has slowly eroded the beauty of this place  and mismanagement will finish the job.  Such is "progress".

Always wishin' I was fishin'

Board footer