Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Apr-18-08 7:08PM

Bass Hunter
Northern Snakehead

Mickey Finn streamers

Ernie,

Have you ever used the Mickey Finn streamers before? I believe they are supposed to mimic small minnows.

If so, are they are good choice for Crappie and Bass? I'm thinking about doing so fly fishing this summer.

#2 Apr-20-08 8:26AM

Ernie
Administrator

Re: Mickey Finn streamers

Khahn,

I use all types of flies and can catch blue gills and crappie. But you have to be more selective for bass (bigger fly too). Feel free to stop by the house and I can show you some of the woolly buggers I was talking about.

Ernie

Time to go fishin' again!

#3 Apr-20-08 3:10PM

EnglishDave

caught my bass on a wooly bugger. No 6 i think.

#4 Apr-20-08 4:31PM

Bass Hunter
Northern Snakehead

Pacemaker wrote:

Khahn,

I use all types of flies and can catch blue gills and crappie. But you have to be more selective for bass (bigger fly too). Feel free to stop by the house and I can show you some of the woolly buggers I was talking about.

Ernie

Ernie,

I will stop by your home soon to check out your fly selection. Sounds like the Wooly Bugger is a good choice for Bass.

I've also heard the Clouser Minnow is old time favorite as well. As you can see, i've been doing some research into flyfishing and the more I learn, the more interesting it beomes..

#5 Apr-20-08 4:36PM

Ernie
Administrator

Bass Hunter wrote:

As you can see, I've been doing some research into flyfishing and the more I learn, the more interesting it becomes..

I'll hang on to my fly magazines so you can read them. But I try not to get too "hooked" on all the hype. Keep it simple and you will be fine.

Ernie

#6 Apr-21-08 4:55AM

redskinsfan360
Patagonian Toothfish

Do you tie your own flies?

#7 Apr-21-08 5:22AM

Ernie
Administrator

redskinsfan360 wrote:

Do you tie your own flies?

No fly tying for me...takes lots of time. I just buy a lot of them. However, I have lots of friends that tie some great flies.

ER

#8 Apr-21-08 8:34AM

Osprey
Patagonian Toothfish
Website

OK, you guys have to stop all this fly talk. Let me explain before you ban me.  My Dad started me off with a spinning outfit when I was 6, while he used conventional bait casting. I had Abu spinners, while he could throw a 4" River Runt a country mile. Thing is his vision sucked, so when he got a backlash it was up to me to unlash it while he threw my Abu a country mile. The point being I never had a desire to throw a baitcaster.

It wasn't till Dad was gone that I bought my first casting outfit. Lucky for me my vision was still good, cause I sure had many opportunities to put it to use. Now I have a full collection of casting gear that almost rivals my spinning collection. Of course both require their own lures which need tackle bags and boxes.

Along comes the PRAC board with all trolling all the time. First I needed a bigger boat, so the 16 footer sits while the 20 footer trolls. First there were 4 rod holders, so 4 outfits were needed, but wait....  The "Big Boys" were trolling 62 rods with different weights  stretched out to the horizon with clothespin type thingys clipped to things called planer boards. You see where this is going yet? Added 2 clamp on rod holders to the bow rail, and 2 new rods, reels and power pro (damn that stuff is expensive) Surely 6 rods are enough, right?  WRONG  Next question is how to add more rod holders... Ahh, I need a top, so off to Standard Marine in Mears, VA. Only cost 3K to add 6 rod holders and some shade (save a lot on sunscreen, so the top is justified) Next stop Basspro to get more rods, reels and monofilament. Between BP, the internet and a few other vendors, and Spring fishing shows over two years, I can fill every rod holder on the boat, and even have lures on the end of them all. On my third set of planer boards, and I like this set. Lucky for me that Ernie guy had a VA CCA banquet when they were listed on SO MD's silent auction. I was the only bidder and got them for 30 bux.

Let's take time to recap. I have a load of spinning gear, casting gear, trolling gear, and 2 boats. I'm fighting this terrible temptation to start a new collection. I don't remember mentioning this at home, but my wife actually wanted to bid on fly casting lessons for me at the aforementioned CCA auction. I think the winning bid was in the neighborhood of $300.00.
She was upset that I would sit on her hands the whole time, but what she didn't realize was the additional cost for the required vest, creel, net, waders assorted little clip-on tools. There's the proper shirt, hat, glasses, tying vise, magnifier to see the tiny hooks, all the threads, hairs, and hackles. Oh, did I mention rods, reels, weight forward, level, weight middle and weight backward lines?

I'm sorry, end of story, I can't go on like this. I already had to un-retire to put gas in the boat. I need to get ready for work now.

20' Key West..16' C-Hawk...Hobie Pro Angler...Hobie Outback

#9 Apr-21-08 9:01AM

L1Ranger
Northern Snakehead

Pacemaker wrote:

Bass Hunter wrote:

As you can see, I've been doing some research into flyfishing and the more I learn, the more interesting it becomes..

I'll hang on to my fly magazines so you can read them. But I try not to get too "hooked" on all the hype. Keep it simple and you will be fine.

Ernie

excellent advice

now it's yesterday! roll
Ernie

#10 Apr-21-08 9:20AM

Ernie
Administrator

Osprey wrote:

OK, you guys have to stop all this fly talk. Let me explain before you ban me.  My Dad started me off with a spinning outfit when I was 6, while he used conventional bait casting. I had Abu spinners, while he could throw a 4" River Runt a country mile. Thing is his vision sucked, so when he got a backlash it was up to me to unlash it while he threw my Abu a country mile. The point being I never had a desire to throw a baitcaster.

It wasn't till Dad was gone that I bought my first casting outfit. Lucky for me my vision was still good, cause I sure had many opportunities to put it to use. Now I have a full collection of casting gear that almost rivals my spinning collection. Of course both require their own lures which need tackle bags and boxes.

Along comes the PRAC board with all trolling all the time. First I needed a bigger boat, so the 16 footer sits while the 20 footer trolls. First there were 4 rod holders, so 4 outfits were needed, but wait....  The "Big Boys" were trolling 62 rods with different weights  stretched out to the horizon with clothespin type thingys clipped to things called planer boards. You see where this is going yet? Added 2 clamp on rod holders to the bow rail, and 2 new rods, reels and power pro (damn that stuff is expensive) Surely 6 rods are enough, right?  WRONG  Next question is how to add more rod holders... Ahh, I need a top, so off to Standard Marine in Mears, VA. Only cost 3K to add 6 rod holders and some shade (save a lot on sunscreen, so the top is justified) Next stop Basspro to get more rods, reels and monofilament. Between BP, the internet and a few other vendors, and Spring fishing shows over two years, I can fill every rod holder on the boat, and even have lures on the end of them all. On my third set of planer boards, and I like this set. Lucky for me that Ernie guy had a VA CCA banquet when they were listed on SO MD's silent auction. I was the only bidder and got them for 30 bux.

Let's take time to recap. I have a load of spinning gear, casting gear, trolling gear, and 2 boats. I'm fighting this terrible temptation to start a new collection. I don't remember mentioning this at home, but my wife actually wanted to bid on fly casting lessons for me at the aforementioned CCA auction. I think the winning bid was in the neighborhood of $300.00.
She was upset that I would sit on her hands the whole time, but what she didn't realize was the additional cost for the required vest, creel, net, waders assorted little clip-on tools. There's the proper shirt, hat, glasses, tying vise, magnifier to see the tiny hooks, all the threads, hairs, and hackles. Oh, did I mention rods, reels, weight forward, level, weight middle and weight backward lines?

I'm sorry, end of story, I can't go on like this. I already had to un-retire to put gas in the boat. I need to get ready for work now.

Bob,

This is me! I have all of this crap.....I just don't have enough days to go fishing. I got the fly bug and while I have not mangaed to get hooked with the real expensive stuff (the "latest") I have managed to use a bit of my son's future college tuition on fly rods (3 wt to 10 wt, not missing any numbers). Luckily, I have amassed a lot of gear at the CCA events but it still ain't cheap.

My favorite type of rod is a casting rod. And I like Abu's, nothing fancy with brakes and all that other fluff. I can throw a casting rod all day long!

But, I also like spinning, jigging, live lining, trolling, fly.....you get the picture...all of it!

It was good seeing you at the tourney!

Ernie

#11 Apr-22-08 6:04AM

EnglishDave

fly fishing is all about simplicity. keep it zen.

incidently whats baitcasting? i see those things that look like mini sea reels but i have no idea what they are for. how is it different from spinning?

#12 Apr-22-08 6:10AM

Ernie
Administrator

ED,

A baitcaster is the hardest reel to cast but I love them. The key is the thumb or you end up with a birds nest! It's just a mater of preference but it does offer advantages in certain situations.

Ernie

#13 Apr-22-08 11:04AM

redskinsfan360
Patagonian Toothfish

Once I can pay off this months insurance bill, I'm planning on getting a Fly rod(probably in a kit).  Any advice?

#14 Apr-22-08 11:19AM

Ernie
Administrator

redskinsfan360 wrote:

Once I can pay off this months insurance bill, I'm planning on getting a Fly rod(probably in a kit).  Any advice?

Come see me....

ER

#15 Apr-22-08 1:57PM

redskinsfan360
Patagonian Toothfish

OK....thanks..let me know when

#16 Apr-25-08 5:24AM

EnglishDave

ok so I bought the cheap shakespeare baitcast combo from walmart. man its tough. how long does it usually take to get the hang of these things? ive read a lot of stuff on the internet and the neighbour gave me a few pointers also. I guess the rest is just practice, and a LOT of patience.

#17 Apr-25-08 7:58AM

L1Ranger
Northern Snakehead

dave - here'e the best way to learn IMO

find a lure thats close to the upper weight range of the rod. 
tighten down the spool tension and magnetic brake (if it has one)

now start casting, it won't go very far at all, but no mess. 
now lighten off the spool tension just a little bit and cast until you get the feel for it.

repeat, repeat, repeat

eventually, you are going to reach a point where you'll get backlashes.  stop.  tighten the tension knob just a bit and try again.  now start backing off the magnetic brake, just a little at a time.

oh, and practice, practice, practice.
i know i could get you casting in an couple hours - ernie or one of these other gusy close to you could probably do the same.

a couple other things to note.

when the lure hits the water, or trees, or otherwise stops its flight, your thumb should clamp down on the spool.  always

don't try to cast across the town, nice easy motion.  fluid, not jerky.  let the equipment do the work.

when/if you change lures, you'll need to look at resetting your brake and tension

good luck dave

now it's yesterday! roll
Ernie

#18 Apr-25-08 3:03PM

Ernie
Administrator

redskinsfan360 wrote:

OK....thanks..let me know when

Charlie,

Text Brett or call the house at 729-0128.

I will be gone for most of the weekend but I will be home Sunday after about 6 PM.

ER

#19 Apr-25-08 5:03PM

EnglishDave

thanks for the advice Ernie.

looks like its going to take a while for me to remember the thumb... the thumb.....

#20 May-04-08 10:37PM

Charlie NHBA
Northern Snakehead
Website

Bass Hunter:

To answer your original question, the Mickey Finn streamer is normally used for Yellow Perch. It is dynamite for these tasty fish, but doesn't show me much on anything else.

Charlie NHBA

Charlie NHBA.........

#21 May-04-08 10:59PM

Charlie NHBA
Northern Snakehead
Website

EnglishDave wrote:

thanks for the advice Ernie.

looks like its going to take a while for me to remember the thumb... the thumb.....

You were given the correct advise, Dave.  I normally set the magnetic brake at 5 (halfway point), tighten down the cast control and tie on a half ounce casting plug.
Place your thumb on the spool and press the spool release. Holding your thumb on the spool to prevent the lure from dropping, bring the rod tip back to about 11:00. Come forward sharply, letting go of the spool at about 1:00. Follow the lure with the rod tip and press gently with your thumb as the lure gets near the surface of the water. A backlash is nothing more that the line reeling backwards on the spool as a result of the lure stopping and the spool continuing to turn. As you start casting, you plug will go about 10 feet, stop in mid air and fall. Don't concern yourself with that. Just continue casting until it feels perfectly natural. Now, back off the cast control 1/16th of a turn. Cast! It should not go about 15 feet, stall in mid-air and fall. Continue casting like this until it feels completely natural. Back off the cast control another 1/16th of a turn. Continue this procedure until you gradually build up more distance.
At some point, the lure will not stall in mid-air, but hit the water. At that point, you must be aware and put more pressure on the spool with your thumb to keep the spool from reeling the line on backwards. Once you reach this point, tighten the cast control 1/16th of a turn and your reel is adjusted properly.
Do not touch the cast control again until you gain a good amount of casting experience. Instead, use the magnetic brake to fine adjust due to weight and/or bulk of lures.

This was the method told to me some 30 years ago when I bought my first baitcasting reel. I was promised that I would be able to cast it just fine within one hour. The man was correct and I ultimately bought 13 more from him. They are completely worn out now, but the principle has stayed with me all these years.

Should you get a backlash, make yourself a pick. Take a small 1/8-1/4 oz. jighead and flatten the barb on the hook. Hold onto the head and use the hook to pick the line. Hold it! Don't start yet!  When you see you have a backlash, pull on the line from the front of the reel, with the spool released. A certain amount of line will pull out before stopping. When it does stop, look at the spool and you will see that the line going out the front of the reel will be stopped by a "Vee" of line on the spool. Take your pick and grab the "Vee". Pull on the line. Remove the pick and pull the line out of the front of the reel again. Some line will come out and it may or may not be stopped again by a "Vee" of line. If so, grab the "Vee" and pull on it. Remove the pick and pull the line out of the reel front again. Continue this procedure until the backlash is completely free. REMEMBER! Do not pull any part of the line except the "Vee". That will only tighten the knot and make it more difficult to get free. Pulling on the "Vee" will reduce a backlash to a smooth running reel in a matter of a couple of minutes. Take it from one with years of experience.

Charlie NHBA

Charlie NHBA.........

#22 May-05-08 4:54AM

Ernie
Administrator

All I can say is....Charlie is right! He has the experience to back it!

I love throwing a baitcaster more than anything else!

Ernie

Board footer