Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#26 May-15-14 1:49PM

Curly
Patagonian Toothfish

Re: Loudoun Purchase of Beaverdam/Goose Creek Reservoirs

Below letter was sent to Loudoun Water and the Board of Supervisors by VA-DGIF three weeks ago about the closing of Beaverdam by Loudoun Water.  A very nice try, but it did not do any good.

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb119/cokeempire/2014%20Pics/LoudounWaterLetter_Page_1_zpsc63f3369.jpg
http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb119/cokeempire/2014%20Pics/LoudounWaterLetter1_Page_2_zps2eef5fce.jpg

Hell or High Water...........I'm Fishin!!   big_smile

#27 May-15-14 7:00PM

T.
Patagonian Toothfish

I said some of the same things in my email.   I wonder if he at least got a response.

#28 May-16-14 4:04PM

T.
Patagonian Toothfish

I stopped by today.  Maybe the sign has been there for a while.  Never looked at it last time because I figured it was the same one that listed all the rules, it looks similar at a glance.  It's on the same post, says no boating, fishing, rowing, hunting, hiking, camping and few other things.  Also says effective April 22,  2014.

#29 May-17-14 7:13AM

GregF
Northern Snakehead

If Paul's letter doesn't get a reaction, then I fear nobody will be able to make a difference.  Very good letter that carries significant authority.

#30 May-17-14 6:15PM

Ernie
Administrator

Read the Q &A in the May 15 Ashburn Today. Total bureaucratic goblygook.

Time to go fishin' again!

#31 May-20-14 9:04AM

AndrewC
Website

The Petition site has updated the pic to include a QR code that  can be scanned by smart phones for people to sign the petition. It can be printed out as a flyer. You may start seeing it around. Print it and place it at the places you frequent.

http://www.change.org/petitions/scott-y … the-public

Drain it ???? This place is NEVER going to get the chance to become a viable fishery!

They should allow  the public to fish it before they drain it! Ugh.

Time to get the PETA or the we don't want needless animal deaths people involved.  Know anyone?

Last edited by AndrewC (May-20-14 9:07AM)

FishBrain app. It's free!
www.NVAAC.com

#32 May-20-14 11:58AM

NOVAhunter
Northern Snakehead

AndrewC wrote:

Drain it ???? This place is NEVER going to get the chance to become a viable fishery!

They should allow  the public to fish it before they drain it! Ugh.

I doubt they will drain it down all the way. The place is/was subject to serious summer water level fluctuations. A few years ago you could see the old bridge in the middle of the reservoir. I had planned to go fishing and pulled up and got out and was shocked to see there wasn't any water in the cove at the launch and just a "creek" out there in the middle.  That was WAY down and fishing was back to normal the next year or so. Someone posted photos of it on this site.

But, it will be a shame to loose a place that is so close to Ashburn.

Anyone bump it up to their State Representatives?

#33 May-20-14 5:03PM

T.
Patagonian Toothfish

It's most likely the spillway part of the dam that needs work to it.  Dropping the water level 10ft would allow that easily.  Still 30ft left in the north end.

#34 May-22-14 4:53AM

Ernie
Administrator

Got another update: Loudoun Water Authority indicated they would consider legitimate use of Beaverdam Reservoir. Loudoun Paddlers is a club of the American Canoe Association (ACA). We agree to all safety and environmental rules of the ACA, have comprehensive liability insurance, and leave no carbon footprint or risk of gas spills into this drinking water source (crew teams require gas operated chase boats). Yet, Loudoun Water considers Loudoun Paddlers illegitimate users and denied us access today.

#35 May-23-14 10:16AM

Ernie
Administrator

See the update below....typical monopolistic behavior.

We should all go down there in a peaceful protest. I wonder if they would shoot at us like what they do in Venezuela

----------------------------

Loudoun Water has found it in their budget to hire armed security via the Loudoun Sheriffs Office. This Memorial Day Weekend will have full time patrolling by sheriffs deputies to block and remove all boaters, fisherman, and naturalists. My wife and I went to the lake last night to photograph the sunset which we have enjoyed doing for several years and a sheriffs deputy advised us we were trespassing and repeat violators would be prosecuted. The sheriffs deputy was a good guy about it and was following the orders of Loudoun Water's Mark Peterson and chairman Johnny Rocca.

Their is currently no construction going on and in a meeting with Mark Peterson, he indicated this may not happen for several months. The rowing clubs continue to enjoy their activities and can do so for another year via a contract with Loudoun Rowing.

#36 May-23-14 7:49PM

drxfish
Patagonian Toothfish

This is ridiculous!!  Really makes me want to get my water elsewhere.  Oh yeah, they are a MONOPOLY!!

Always wishin' I was fishin'

#37 May-28-14 9:57AM

Ernie
Administrator

Got this in an email- "Next Wednesday, June 4,  Fred Jennings of Loudoun Water is going to be giving the LoCo Board of Supervisors a report on the reservoir and access issues.  At 6PM there is a public comment session.  It is ESSENTIAL we get a lot of speakers, 10+ would be ideal.  Each person gets 2 minutes, but even 20 seconds is better then zero.  Can you all plan to attend?  Perhaps bring friends, neighbors, family...anyone.”

I will post address as as soon as I get it.

#38 May-28-14 11:24AM

Ernie
Administrator

1 Harrison Street, S.E.
Leesburg, VA 20175

#39 May-28-14 11:49AM

dan

Hey guys, it's critical we have a good showing at the June 4 meeting.  Having been at some BOS meetings, lots of speakers means the BOS members perk up.  Loudoun Water has some crafty people putting together mandates. They would like everyone to think that they run the show, and don't have anyone to report to.  They've been in the hotseat with the BOS before, as recently as 2012, the BOS made specific recommendations they had to follow in a Transparency Scorecard exercise.  Fred Jennings is going to be there to give them a report of the situation, we need to be there to push for public access.

If we have lots of faces, they won't be able to ignore us.  Please plan on attending, speak if you can, a sentence or two is all we need.  Tell them what the reservoir means to you and why you think they don't need to close it.

And as a way of saying thanks, I'm buying any person that speaks a beer or two at fireworks pizza post meeting.  It will be nice to me you all in person.  Everyone stay strong, we'll get our way.

Last edited by dan (May-28-14 11:51AM)

#40 May-28-14 12:47PM

Ernie
Administrator

Thanks for posting this Dan.....it's on my calendar.

Let me know if anyone wants a ride.....

#41 May-28-14 12:56PM

dan

Thanks Ernie,

There is a max of 15 speakers, It would be great to have that many!  Sign in begins Friday June 30, please call  703-777-0200 to get your name on the list!

Also worth mentioning, there is plenty of free parking in the adjacent parking deck.

Last edited by dan (May-28-14 12:57PM)

#42 May-28-14 6:30PM

drxfish
Patagonian Toothfish

What time does the actual meeting start?  I am pretty sure I could make it.

#43 May-28-14 6:43PM

Ernie
Administrator

6PM

#44 May-28-14 8:34PM

firemunkee
Patagonian Toothfish

dan wrote:

Thanks Ernie,

There is a max of 15 speakers, It would be great to have that many!  Sign in begins Friday June 30, please call  703-777-0200 to get your name on the list!

Also worth mentioning, there is plenty of free parking in the adjacent parking deck.

Did you mean Friday May 30?

Together we'll fight the long defeat.

#45 May-29-14 10:03AM

Ernie
Administrator

Yes..it is May 30.

#46 May-29-14 1:10PM

redskinsfan360
Patagonian Toothfish

I will try and make it but will have to wait til next week to decide

#47 May-30-14 11:33AM

dan

Gentlemen, just a quick reminder today is signup day for speakers.  Call 703-777-0200 to get your name on the list, it takes two minutes!

#48 Jun-02-14 8:14AM

Ernie
Administrator

Update:

The Loudoun Board of Supervisors (BOS) will be hearing our voice at the county building on June 4th at 6 PM. If you can be present to support our efforts that would be great and if not call the comment line at 703-777-0115 and state why the reservoir is important to you. Our goal is to get the Loudoun Board of Supervisors to work with Loudoun's Water Authority's Board of Directors so we can make this great resource available to residents and visitors without having to wait 4 years. The water authority's board of directors are appointed by the BOS. Even the Virginia Dept. of Game and Inland Fisheries stated "the 4 year-closure to the angling community is harsh at best", in a letter to Mark Peterson of Loudoun Water Authority.

The following is a statement from Supervisor York's office sent to me last week.
"Your petition has been frustrating. The Chairman likes to respond to his constituents and they make that impossible. I can go into all of the facts about us not owning it or having any say, but it appears to me that you have this knowledge. Petitions to us are a waste of time because it is a privately owned property and we have zero control over this property." Staff Aide

Supervisor York pleaded the case to Fairfax City to allow Loudoun Rowers to be present on the reservoir, and the reservoir was privately owned at that time. Will our BOS fight for its citizens with its own water authority who now controls property? Petitions are a voice of democracy to our elected officials in hopes they fight for us. I urge each of you to get just 1 person to sign before Wednesday so we can surpass 1,000 signatures. We can do it!

#49 Jun-03-14 5:36AM

drxfish
Patagonian Toothfish

I called and there are 10 speakers so far, so we still need some more.  We can do it!

#50 Jun-03-14 6:26AM

Ernie
Administrator

If you can go live, please call 703-777-0200 to get your name on the list.....still have a few spots left.

If you can't go, please call the comment line at 703-777-0115 and state why the reservoir is important to you!

If you have ever fished there....or wanted to....do one of the 2 above!!

Board footer