Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Oct-07-13 4:27AM

backtofuturetoyota
Patagonian Toothfish

Saturday Archery

I went out to Front Royal with my nephew for archery on our family property.  I took a ladder stand that is in a heavily wooded area with 2 shooting lanes.  We got in them before sunrise, so we were ready for any movement.  The only problem was...as soon as the sun started to peak, the cow's started mooing (from the marriott ranch) and the squirrels started running around, birds chirping, hawks chasing each other, etc.  Now, I love this stuff...it's the reason I even go hunting anymore, but this was way more than usual and on top of that the leaves were slowly falling from the tree's the entire time (so a little movement in the corner of the eye would be me turning "what's that!") lol.  Anyway, around 7:15 a 6 point walks within 20 yards....a very easy shot for me, but he caught my head movement (he came from a higher elevation than my tree stand).  He basically stood behind a tree playing peek-a-boo with me for 20 minutes.  He eventually sniffed the air really good and simply turned and walked away.  No hard feelings....he won this one.  Who said animals aren't smart or can't think?  I say BS!!  We had turkeys all around us and saw 4 coyotes which ran by too quickly for a shot.  A beautiful morning though!

#2 Oct-07-13 6:09AM

jumping jasper
Patagonian Toothfish

Re: Saturday Archery

Sounds like a good morning.
Too hot for me, but I will be out there soon.

smile

#3 Oct-07-13 6:53AM

Ernie
Administrator

Very cool.....

Time to go fishin' again!

#4 Oct-07-13 7:05AM

NOVAhunter
Northern Snakehead

Sounds like a good morning. The heat was brutal, well October brutal after about 10.  That is pretty tough sitting up there in a tree suit this time of year.

I hear you on getting out and just enjoying the quiet and woods.

Last edited by NOVAhunter (Oct-07-13 7:06AM)

#5 Oct-07-13 7:44AM

backtofuturetoyota
Patagonian Toothfish

We had lunch at Griffin Taver of 522 and discussed how nice it was to be out there, but also thankful we didn't get anything.  The temperature shot up quickly and we would have worked very, very hard to ensure the safety of the meat.  Next time I'll take my telephoto lense to capture the moments!  Darn Pileated (spelling?) woodpecker also scared the heck out of me as he flew right over my head to a tree 10 yds away and started pecking.  No kidding...he looked to be 15-18 inches in height and made the entire woods echo with those big knocks on the tree.

Board footer