Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Sep-25-13 6:17AM

Ernie
Administrator

9-18-13, local pond

From Charlie Taylor....

After getting my oil changed last Wednesday morning, my mechanic noticed a rod in the back of my truck with a popping frog tied on it.  He asked if I ever catch anything on the frog.  I told him that sometimes it produces very well.

He asked if I would show him how to catch a fish on it and I replied sure!.  We headed to the back of his property where he has a 2-3 acre pond.  Fran and I caught bluegill out of this pond to stock Phillip Bolin Park's pond in the Spring.

When we arrived, I proceeded to cast and retrieve the frog for about 20 minutes without a strike. I told Mike that I really didn't expect much as I suspected that there were no bass in the pond. Plenty of crappie and bluegill, but no bass. I based that opinion on the fact that Fran and I fished nightcrawlers under bobbers for about 3 hours in the Spring and did not see a single bass.....of any size.

I finally cast the frog parallel to the bank and retrieved it through a patch of willow grass.  As I twitched it, something came up and swiped at it without taking it. I let it sit a couple of seconds and twitched it again. Once more, something came up and swiped at it and missed. After another few seconds of allowing it to sit still, I twitched it again and it disappeared. I waited a couple of seconds and set the hook.

While Mike was saying you got a bass, I was telling him that it was probably a big bluegill. It did not fight like a bass. I horsed it in and......lo and behold..........the big boss of the pond.

You all know how big I am.  Check out below.

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj320/Kiko13PB/New%20Kiko/Bullfrog1_zpsa45063f3.jpg

This bullfrog must be 24" long and weigh almost two pounds.

Time to go fishin' again!

#2 Sep-25-13 7:00AM

Curly
Patagonian Toothfish

Re: 9-18-13, local pond

I got the same email from him last evening.  Those would be some tastey Southern-fried frog legs! big_smile

Last edited by Curly (Sep-25-13 7:00AM)

Hell or High Water...........I'm Fishin!!   big_smile

Board footer