Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Sep-17-13 7:45PM

CrankbaitGuy

Eastern Bay Grasonville kayak trip 9/15

After a lot of rescheduling stretching out over a few months, one of my college buddies and myself hired Captain Chris Dollar to take us kayak fishing on a half day trip in the afternoon.  We used Chris' boats.  My buddy doesn't own a kayak and I wanted to try a purpose rigged fishing kayak instead of strapping a milk crate on to my 15' touring kayak.

We put in just south of Grasonville, MD which is east of Kent Island on US-50.  We started over some oyster beds to get some white perch on the stringers, throwing the chartreuse spinnerbaits that are a fixture of white perch fishing in the Chesapeake.  I think these are the exact same ones I used with Ernie and Curly when I fished with them a couple years ago.

We drifted to figure out how far in the perch were over the beds, and then anchored at the most productive part.  Action was good, we were there for an hour, hour and a half.  I caught the first fish, it was nice and big, 12", maybe 1-1.5 lbs.  I caught another big one, 11" and then a bunch of smaller fish.  Altogether I had probably 9 fish at the oyster beds, none under 7".  I kept the two bigs.  My friend caught his own 12" fish and another 8-9 smaller ones.  He kept 4 in total, smallest ones were 8".

We then tried to cross the creek to get to a point of marsh grass that Chris had found productive for topwater action.  Unfortunately, the wind was blowing steadily into the creek and we couldn't get to the intended point.  We retreated to a different point that was protected from the wind.  We threw topwaters, my buddy a Zara Spook and myself a streamer trailing behind a dehooked Spook serving as a popper.   There were predator fish breaking on the baitfish in this area, but aside from a dink white perch I overpowered, no luck.  It's quite possible they were all white perch picking on baitfish.

Overall, a good trip and a good introduction for me to proper fishing kayaks as I start thinking about saving up for one next year.  I was disappointed we couldn't get a reasonable shot at stripers or reds, but the weather does that.  The white perch catch was great.

Last edited by CrankbaitGuy (Sep-17-13 7:48PM)

#2 Sep-18-13 4:25AM

Ernie
Administrator

Re: Eastern Bay Grasonville kayak trip 9/15

Nice.....

Time to go fishin' again!

#3 Sep-18-13 9:15AM

Bryan
Patagonian Toothfish

Re: Eastern Bay Grasonville kayak trip 9/15

Great report! I didn't know Chris Dollar was a kayak guide. I did a couple articles for The Fisherman magazine back when he was the editor.

tight lines

Board footer