Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Sep-14-13 12:51PM

Ernie
Administrator

9-14-13, UP float....err, sink.

John Nguyen and I met up at Lander to drop off a truck as we were going to float the Brunswick to Lander stretch of the UP. It took a while to get to the ramp at Rt. 15 was jammed before sunup. It seems that they were doing a half marathon at one of the wineries and they forgot to tell the Sheriff's office. FAIL! Luckily John took the northern route form Arlington so he was only delayed a few minutes.

It was a chilly start.....but it was a beautiful morning.

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj320/Kiko13PB/New%20Kiko/001_zpsce863998.jpgI had on long pants and sleeves as well as a fleece vest.

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj320/Kiko13PB/New%20Kiko/002_zpsebbf77de.jpg

We started the float and the water was low and fast so we each tried to find some riffles to work.

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj320/Kiko13PB/New%20Kiko/003_zpse234fc6c.jpg

About 40 minutes in (with no hits), I was floating a small rapid/riffle and BANG! I hit a rock. Normally I just bounce off them but this time I was wedged. I got off easily enough and continued fishing.

Then...I started feeling wobbly and could not understand why. Maybe the current was faster than what I thought? Maybe I got whiplash?

The wobble got worse and then I noticed that I was sitting almost at the water line. Not good. I was taking water. I went to pull off at the shore but I noticed some geese in the water but they weren't moving. Then I saw a couple of shotguns so I decided to head back to the other side. That was a tough trip as I almost went over a few times.

John called out to me but I was making a beeline to the shore.

Once there, we inspected the bottom as best we could but found nothing except that my hull was full of water.

Since we were only about a half mile from the ramp, I told John to continue the float and I walked, well waded, back to the ramp.

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj320/Kiko13PB/New%20Kiko/005_zpsf4a13623.jpg

One half mile in 25+ minutes, against the current.    tongue

Once there, I emptied the yak out (with some help from two very kind teenagers) and took it over to River Trail Outfitters in Knoxville since they have done some work for me in the past and were only 20 minutes away. The yak had a big gash at the scupper.

I then came back to Lander to wait for John and shortly thereafter, he came back. He had only caught 1 fish. Then at the ramp, he caught this guy...

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj320/Kiko13PB/New%20Kiko/006_zps3d80c11b.jpg

I caught none while waiting for him.

So we left but not before hitting the BBQ place on 15. This time we had brisket and fries and it was top notch!!  big_smile

Back on 15 I went and I crawled home. Some more traffic mismanagement. I should have taken the MD route and crossed at White's ferry! What a pain! mad

I finally got home and Debbie said there was a message on the phone that the yak was ready. WHAT? I called, and sure enough it was ready. They thought I might still want to go back out so they fixed it. What service!

Interestingly, we are going to dinner tonight at Grandale for our anniversary. It's 12 minutes from the yak place so I will have the yak back tonight!

All is good! You just never know what to expect when you go fishing..... wink

Time to go fishin' again!

#2 Sep-14-13 4:16PM

Osprey
Patagonian Toothfish
Website

Re: 9-14-13, UP float....err, sink.

Happy anniversary to you and Debbie  Here's to dry butts and many more

20' Key West..16' C-Hawk...Hobie Pro Angler...Hobie Outback

#3 Sep-15-13 3:02AM

Bruce
Northern Snakehead

Ernie,
Sorry to hear about the bad day.

I've got a non-fishing question...You mentioned Grandale Farm Restaurant...I've heard about it but never been there. How is it??
Thanks,
Bruce

#4 Sep-15-13 5:05AM

Ernie
Administrator

Osprey wrote:

Happy anniversary to you and Debbie  Here's to dry butts and many more

Thank you sir!

Bruce wrote:

Sorry to hear about the bad day.

I have my yak back and it was only a $75 fix, they did a great job on it. I consider it another adventure. Never walked 1/2 mile against the current before, not a bad workout.

Bruce wrote:

I've got a non-fishing question...You mentioned Grandale Farm Restaurant...I've heard about it but never been there. How is it??

Excellent! It's a small restaurant with quality food and great service in a great setting. Debbie and I enjoyed it. They also have a tasting room as they are a winery as well. I highly recommend it.

#5 Sep-15-13 3:08PM

GregF
Northern Snakehead

Ernie,
Saw you stuck in the Rt 15 traffic going towards Leesburg yesterday around 2pm (ish).  I tried calling you, but mysteriously you didn't answer.  Did you notice that half the cars in that traffic had people wearing tiaras?  What was up with that? 

Glad you didn't sink or tip over!!!

#6 Sep-15-13 4:04PM

Ernie
Administrator

GregF wrote:

I tried calling you, but mysteriously you didn't answer.

I have no record of your call. I did get a new phone and trying to get used to it but no call from Greg.

That traffic was ridiculous!

GregF wrote:

Did you notice that half the cars in that traffic had people wearing tiaras?  What was up with that?

Whaaat?

#7 Sep-16-13 3:40AM

GregF
Northern Snakehead

No lie about the tiaras!!!  Thankfully I didn't see you wearing one!! big_smile

#8 Sep-16-13 10:32AM

jumping jasper
Patagonian Toothfish

GregF wrote:

No lie about the tiaras!!!  Thankfully I didn't see you wearing one!! big_smile

The race was held out of Tiara winery
Maybe that had something to do with it?

smile

#9 Sep-16-13 10:58AM

Ernie
Administrator

Close.....it was Tarara Winery but it was a woman's half marathon.

#10 Sep-16-13 1:12PM

hookup
Patagonian Toothfish

I had a similar experiance last week - pin hole leak in the Tarpon 100.

Fixed it myself, but I float so much, one wack with a rock and the yak will leak again - my suggestion, replace the yak.

I did and now am paddling a 10' Pescadore.  Gave the Tarpon to a buddy who'll use it 2-3x year.

#11 Sep-16-13 2:09PM

Ernie
Administrator

No way I am going to replace the yak!!   yikes

2 years ago, I had a keel hole and they fixed it. Weld + patch.....still good as new.  wink

The fix that Everett put on it Saturday is outstanding...very professional. Welded the gash and then patched it. It was right at the scupper hole.

These OK yaks are thick...not like those thin, little things you float in.  tongue

#12 Sep-18-13 5:39AM

hookup
Patagonian Toothfish

Come on Ernie - cough up some cash & get a SOT.

lol

#13 Sep-18-13 7:05AM

Ernie
Administrator

Wait....the OK13 is a SOT....it became a SINK when the rock punctured the bottom!

Board footer