Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Apr-03-08 3:42PM

rit.05

Big stripers in the river...4-3-08

I was out today and kept marking huge fish suspended around Fort Washington. I thought they might be stripers, but after a bunch of 30-40lb cats I figured the suspended fish just weren't eating.

The bite slowed down, so I headed down to an area near Mt. Vernon that I have graphed and fished a lot over the past year. Sure enough, same thing but closer to the bottom near some significant structure.  I got set up and hooked into a 33lb striper. Great fight, but it took her a while to recover. Initially, I released her and she floated back up. I had to pull all my lines and anchor up so I could go net her back up and give her some love. After 15 minutes of intensive care, I let her go again and wished her the best. I don't know what was wrong. The fish came out of 25 feet so air shouldn't have been a problem and the fight didn't last long enough to stress her to death. ???

If you caught a striper out of season and it died, would you eat it? I was trying to figure out if it made more sense to keep it instead of letting it float away. I know the regs, but I don't waste fish or game that I kill.

Pics in a bit. And Ernie, I know you want to know where my spot is. I'll have to show you sometime.

#2 Apr-03-08 5:49PM

Ernie
Administrator

Re: Big stripers in the river...4-3-08

Dan

That is great! Perhaps that striper had just spawned and was tired?? I definitely want to head down that way. I was going to do that last Friday but my boat headed up to Fletcher's.....I have to really fight the urge in order to head down river.

By the way, I fished  with a guy on Saturday that you might know. He's out of Quantico. His name is Major (USMC) Mark Light. We fished a bass tourney together.

Ernie

Time to go fishin' again!

#3 Apr-05-08 6:26AM

jumping jasper
Patagonian Toothfish

rit.05 wrote:

If you caught a striper out of season and it died, would you eat it? I was trying to figure out if it made more sense to keep it instead of letting it float away. I know the regs, but I don't waste fish or game that I kill.

I would not keep it. I believe they could take away your tackle, boat, fishing privileges, etc.

smile

#4 Apr-05-08 6:44PM

Ernie
Administrator

I agree that I would throw it back...stupid rule but you get to keep your gear!

The other day I left my license in the car and the MD DNR guy still gave me a ticket. I have every and all necessary licenses for the area but I made a mistake (actually old age forgetfulness) and I paid for it.

I want to see a picture of that fish!

Ernie

#5 Apr-05-08 7:11PM

rit.05

I will email you a pic to post. Email me at drittler@msn.com and I will reply.

My buddy caught a 55lb striper near Belvoir this afternoon!! Fresh shad, 25', outgoing tide.

#6 Apr-05-08 7:49PM

Ernie
Administrator

rit.05 wrote:

My buddy caught a 55lb striper near Belvoir this afternoon!! Fresh shad, 25', outgoing tide.

Holy smokes!!!!! I  think I may need to start heading down that way a bit!

Ernie

#7 Apr-06-08 5:29AM

Ernie
Administrator

Here is a picture of Dan's striper that he caught while he was blue cat fishing!

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj320/Kiko13PB/Ritler.jpg

Very nice and fat!

Ernie

Board footer