Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Mar-29-08 4:12PM

Ernie
Administrator

3-29-08, New Horizon Bass Anglers Tournament report, Potomac River

Today was the New Horizon Bass Anglers 2nd Tournament for the year and it was held out of my stomping grounds, Gravelly Point on the Potomac River. I had the pleasure of fishing back seat on USMC Major Mark Light's 20 foot Bass Cat (225 HP motor). Shotgun start was at 7 AM...it's cool to see all the boats getting ready to go!

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj320/Kiko13PB/IMGP0317.jpg

It was a rather cold start (36 degrees) and immediately, we headed down to Spoils Cove, along with 13 other boats. But we got there in 6 or 7 minutes. Mark had that boat going almost 60 miles per hour. I was cold and I was white knuckling it! Holy cow that boat is fast!

We fished spoils for over 2 hours before we even got a bite. Mark got a slight nibble as we fished the concrete slabs. So I dropped my bait in near the same spot and got hung up…or so I thought. The line started to move and I set the hook! A minute or so later, in the boat was a 3 and a half pound largemouth bass. The skunk is off and I have a nice fish in the live well.

I was throwing my Jeff Little home made smallie special!

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj320/Kiko13PB/IMGP0339.jpg

This is a ¼ jig head with a very soft plastic body. It is beast up since I also used it to catch three fish in the 1st tournament. I bet it cost all of 42 cents!

About an hour later, Jeff was throwing a deep diving shad crank bait an he landed a 2 and a half pound fish so we were now at least on the board. We fished until about one and I finally told mark that it t was time to move into the Washington Channel. We have always caught largemouth bass there when we are striper fishing. The 1st place I took him to was then "hump” right in front of the big pine tree at Ft. McNair.

On his 2nd cast, Mark is into a fight with a nice fish. He tells me to get the net and I understood why when I saw the fish. He just landed a 5 and a half pound bass in the channel!!!

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj320/Kiko13PB/IMGP0320.jpg

It could not have been scripted it any better! Then, within minutes, a very official looking helicopter lands 150 yards away from us.

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj320/Kiko13PB/IMGP0323.jpg

How cool is that!!

We fished a few more spots but no luck so we decided to get to the weigh in, maybe we could at least place in the top 10??

There were 23 anglers at this tournament. Here is Anthony Vining weighing in someone’s catch.

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj320/Kiko13PB/IMGP0325.jpg

Even though I only had one fish……

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj320/Kiko13PB/IMGP0331.jpg

…..I was surprised and elated that it was good enough for 6th place! Even better, Mark took 3rd place with his two fish which totaled 7.5 pounds. Remember, two weeks ago, I came in 7th with five fish that totaled less than Mark’s 2 fish.

Only 13 of the 23 anglers even caught a fish so I consider myself very fortunate. Only 19 total fish were caught.

Joe Donahoe took 1st place with three fish totaling just over 12 pounds.

This is getting to be fun but it will be a while before I can participate in another NHBA tournament!

Another great day on the water! cool

Ernie

Time to go fishin' again!

#2 Mar-29-08 5:53PM

Ernie
Administrator

Re: 3-29-08, New Horizon Bass Anglers Tournament report, Potomac River

I almost forgot a very important part!

Jeff Palmer, one of the tourney participants, was fishing the Alexandria Power Plant outflow (must have seen the show City Limits which featured Mike Iaconelli catching smallies in the same place). He was using 1/4 oz rattletrap on 10 lb line when he hooked in to a 30 somehing inch, almost 18 pound striper! I know where I am going next time!!

Ernie

#3 Mar-29-08 8:36PM

Osprey
Patagonian Toothfish
Website

Did he catch any bass there?

20' Key West..16' C-Hawk...Hobie Pro Angler...Hobie Outback

#4 Mar-29-08 10:27PM

Bob B
Northern Snakehead

Thank you for the report and pictures.

Go Fish!

#5 Mar-30-08 4:25AM

Ernie
Administrator

Osprey wrote:

Did he catch any bass there?

You know...I didn't even ask him 'cause I was so interested in the striper part.

Ernie

#6 Mar-30-08 6:07AM

Ernie
Administrator

I should also mention that this tournament had a 15" minimum to abide by river rules. That is why only 19 fish were weighed in. There were plenty more fish that were caught but had to be released. A few of the guys were lamenting that they were throwing back 1.5 pound fish that could have made the difference in their tourney placement.

Ernie

#7 Mar-30-08 4:10PM

Ernie
Administrator

Edit- Official tally came out, I got "bumped" down to 6th place!!

Ernie

#8 Apr-06-08 12:10PM

Charlie NHBA
Northern Snakehead
Website

He did NOT catch any bass from that outflow.  This spot generally holds lots of white perch, plenty of catfish and a few stripers. Bass are normally foraging in the grassbed directly across the river.

When I was guiding, this was my number one catfish hole, but this was in the days before blue catfish. All the catfish we caught here were channels.

Charlie NHBA......

Charlie NHBA.........

Board footer