Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Jul-09-13 10:59AM

Bruce
Northern Snakehead

Algonkian 7/9 & White Flying Insects

Fished today with Roney and John Foley at Algonkian from 7 to 10:30am. Cloudy, calm day with a few sprinkles. Water was stained with visibility about 2'.

River was covered with tiny (1/8") white flying insects. Where the insects were the thickest on the surface, smallies were sucking them down with great regularity...as were some carp too. Anyway, we caught a ton of smallies, but most were small with only about 20% of the fish between 12" - 15'. Most of the fish were caught on 3" Rapala floating minnow lures. Just had to watch the surface, see where the fishing were eating the flies, and try to land your lure nearby. Almost every well-placed cast produced a fish. Sorry, but no pictures as the fishing was too much fun to stop for pictures.

Does anyone know what the white insects might have been? Not sure how long this hatch lasts, but when it occurs, fishing is great.

Bruce

#2 Jul-09-13 11:48AM

Curly
Patagonian Toothfish

Re: Algonkian 7/9 & White Flying Insects

Probably mayflies.........

Hell or High Water...........I'm Fishin!!   big_smile

#3 Jul-09-13 12:52PM

jffoley
Northern Snakehead

Great fishing with you again, Bruce. And meeting Roney. The fishing was terrific this morning. I stayed another hour or so as my unemployment days are numbered. Got to make the most of these weekday outings. Biggest I landed was 14". And I did miss a beaut. Real strong, I thought is was a catfish at first. It stayed down, taking drag then came out of the water in front of Roney and spit the jig. Dang! That one woulda rivaled that 3+lber you caught, Bruce the last time we fished Algonkian together. Some good ones around there!

Here's the one pic I did take:

http://s1023.photobucket.com/user/jffol … 9.jpg.html

Cobra Explorer Kayak
Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Co-Founder
www.cbkainc.com

#4 Jul-09-13 2:29PM

Bruce
Northern Snakehead

Curly wrote:

Probably mayflies.........

Curly,
They don't look like the pictures of mayflies on the web. These were much smaller, shorter in length, and white. These were only about 1/8" long.
Bruce

#5 Jul-09-13 2:59PM

Ernie
Administrator

Good work fellas.....could be the White Fly.

Time to go fishin' again!

#6 Jul-10-13 7:11AM

jffoley
Northern Snakehead

Cobra Explorer Kayak
Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Co-Founder
www.cbkainc.com

#7 Jul-11-13 2:16AM

Bruce
Northern Snakehead

John,
Went to some other sites to check out pictures and descriptions of behavior. Sure sounded correct...they must have been tricos.
Bruce

Board footer