Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Jul-01-13 4:26PM

captmikestarrett
Patagonian Toothfish
Website

Snakeheads

I was wondering in this forum how the snakehead is perceived. Right now it is like a gold rush with bow fishermen cashing in. When I see the spotlighters every night in Mattawomen even in the harshest weather this can not be just for fun. Looks like money is to be made.

The quality of this fish as a game fish is incredible as many of you know. 

In honesty I make money on this fish, kill them or release them.
5 years ago I could target them and landed more each year until last year. Last year the catch rate fell and the spotlighters doubled to five sometimes six every night.

So this is my question.. Should MD and VA limit via creel this fish?

Capt Mike

Light Tackle Fishing Guide on the Potomac

#2 Jul-01-13 6:26PM

Osprey
Patagonian Toothfish
Website

Re: Snakeheads

I read somewhere that one of those spotlighting boats was checked by DNR and was found to be guiding without proper gear or licenses. Maybe if DNR could be convinced to keep tabs on them there wouldn't be so many. It's not likely that MD will put a creel limit when they still want them eradicated.

20' Key West..16' C-Hawk...Hobie Pro Angler...Hobie Outback

#3 Jul-01-13 6:38PM

Ernie
Administrator

I love snakies.....

I don't like killing fish (carp, gar, snakie) just for the heck of it. If ya kill it, eat it!

I don't catch them that regularly that a creel would affect me. Remember, MD wants them all dead. Va says kill it or put it back.

If you guide, you need to be licensed and insured.

Two of my three boys LOVE to eat NSH. I need to have some in the freezer at all times.

Time to go fishin' again!

#4 Jul-01-13 7:02PM

captmikestarrett
Patagonian Toothfish
Website

So do you envision that they will become as big as LGMouth in sport fishing or will they be always be the cause to rid the earth of.

Capt Mike

#5 Jul-01-13 8:15PM

Ernie
Administrator

Most bass fishermen (tourney) kinda don't like them but they are fun to catch and tasty. it's not like they are all over the place. they seem to be less prevalent....I don't hear them rustling as much as I used to in some places.

Not sure they will be as big as LMB.....

#6 Jul-02-13 3:53AM

backtofuturetoyota
Patagonian Toothfish

Pacemaker wrote:

I love snakies.....

I don't like killing fish (carp, gar, snakie) just for the heck of it. If ya kill it, eat it!

You bet Ernie!  I hate trophy hunters/fishers......kill what you eat and no more.  I have yet to catch a NSH, but from the reports everyone posts....they get big fast and they fight a good fight.  I'm told they eat very good....the local high end restaurants are cashing in on it, so where are they sourcing their fish from?  I recall there was a price tag on the fish when this whole thing first came out, but that ended quickly.  Guiding for the NSH must be where it happens.  I have friends from all over the country that are asking about it (wishing they could get one) and I'm sure there are people who would fly in to be guided.  All it takes is a travel channel show like Bizarre Foods to show the host bow fishing for NSH on the Potomac!

#7 Jul-02-13 7:41AM

Osprey
Patagonian Toothfish
Website

Everyone can catch a bass, but most of us stand a better chance of catching a sailfish than a snakehead. You practically need an atv to get where they live. They're still a novelty just hoping for that OOO!, AH! or YUCK moment. I think as they get more plentiful and established in the other rivers and creeks (where they're rumored to be) where anyone can catch them, then everyone will fish for them.
As for the part about needing an atv, I'm counting on you this Sunday.

20' Key West..16' C-Hawk...Hobie Pro Angler...Hobie Outback

#8 Jul-02-13 7:54AM

Ernie
Administrator

Osprey wrote:

I'm counting on you this Sunday.

The pressure is on!

#9 Jul-02-13 9:43AM

captmikestarrett
Patagonian Toothfish
Website

I hooked up the 4-wheel drive trolling motor and the push pole is ready. A new raised casting deck with rail has also been added. Sunday I pushed 3 miles or so in less than a foot of water. I am ready.. are you?

One thousand casts are needed..

Capt Mike

#10 Jul-02-13 11:28AM

backtofuturetoyota
Patagonian Toothfish

You guys are starting to sound like the Amphib "Duck" tour bus...lol

Last edited by backtofuturetoyota (Jul-02-13 11:28AM)

#11 Jul-02-13 8:56PM

purpleworm
Northern Snakehead

One thousand casts? I thought it was Potomac Pike, not Potomac Muskie. Sheesh. This lazy boy will stick to his lazy largemouth.

Most of my friends who bass fish enjoy catching the snakeheads because they are great fighters and great table fare. I don't think it will ever become as popular as the bass fishing game, but it certainly has its place.

I am not a big fan of the spotlighters either, but they are certainly doing their part to keep a species in check whose set of evolutionary survival skills far exceeds those of the other critters there before it. I do think creel limits need to be established at some point, especially for the bow guys. Of course they should be higher than say a bass, perhaps 10 or 15, but there does need to be a limit. When you have guys going out and removing 100-200lbs of biomass in a single night, that is going to quickly deplete the population, no matter how prolific they are. Someone needs to get a grip on the situation.

#12 Jul-03-13 5:13AM

Bryan
Patagonian Toothfish

I don't think they should have creel limits. Sporting or not, they're still an invasive species. It's hard to believe that we're discussing protecting them, when just a couple years ago people were still afraid they would wipe out all of our native fish and eat our pets tongue

backtofuturetoyota wrote:

All it takes is a travel channel show like Bizarre Foods to show the host bow fishing for NSH on the Potomac!

I watched that episode last night. Those blackened snakehead sandwiches looked amazing.

tight lines

#13 Jul-03-13 5:53AM

captmikestarrett
Patagonian Toothfish
Website

It has been 8 years now the only result has been a boom in the LGMouth population from eating baby PP's.

8 years in the grand scheme of life is not much, but it is a glimpse into future. No harm yet has been found.

Maybe it is time to embrace them instead of attempting to wipe them out. The gene' is out of the bottle and it is time to make a wish..

Capt Mike

#14 Jul-03-13 6:13AM

Ernie
Administrator

Silver carp in the Midwest are a nuisance because they can actually hurt someone while cruising down the river....and I don't think they are tasty.

I  have talked to John Odenkirk (VA State Biologist) on numerous occasions as to what he finds in the NSH belly when he studies them. They are not eating bass normally. Yes, they do compete for food.

While he can't definitively say they are going to hurt the biomass, the fact remains that they are here. If we wipe them out, I will have to fish further to get some filets. My sons will testify that they like NSH as much or better than most other fish.

#15 Jul-14-13 2:00PM

AbuMasgouf
Northern Snakehead
Website

I for one detest anyone who goes out and kills something/anything for fun. Like others have said, if you kill it, eat it!

Like Ernie, I and my boys love NSH! It is one of the best tasting fish I have ever had, rivaling one of my all time favorite fish, grouper. Truthfully, I hope they stay for good and in decent numbers that can coexist with the environment because we don't have any good table fare in freshwater that comes close!

It seems that VA is the more level-headed of the two states and the put back option shows it. A creel limit will be a big benefit.

As far as gamefish, even though I haven't been fishing long, I can immediately tell the difference between a LMB and a NSH when they bite, and LMB have become very boring for me in comparison. Due to their skiddish nature though I don't see them beating out LMB as a gamefish...

Mustafa
ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
2016 Hobie Outback
"Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam Al'Sadiq (p)

#16 Aug-05-14 6:11PM

captmikestarrett
Patagonian Toothfish
Website

I talked to a spotlighter this Sunday and he now has a Seafood Sellers License and can make 1500.00 a night. Well not since two years ago he said.
He makes about 200 bucks a night now selling his catch to a fish monger in Balto. He also said that he will not shoot carp or gar.

Shawn Kimbro said in a post that killing carp and gar with bow was like shooting robins off the bird feeder. At some point in your life you grow up.

Capt Mike

#17 Aug-05-14 6:26PM

Ernie
Administrator

Well....I am glad that he does not shoot gar and carp. And I am glad he is licensed. We need to tell him that snakies taste like pond scum.

#18 Aug-06-14 9:59AM

NOVAhunter
Northern Snakehead

captmikestarrett wrote:

Shawn Kimbro said in a post that killing carp and gar with bow was like shooting robins off the bird feeder. At some point in your life you grow up.

Back when I was a teenager I was back in the mid-west visiting family and I went out bowfishing with some relatives in the flooded cornfields. The first few carp were fun to stalk and shoot, but after that meh.... At the end of the day, looking at the devastation didn't leave me with the warm and fuzzy feeling. A few of them were taken back home to be tilled into the garden. But the rest were just tossed up in the woods. I guess worms have to eat too.

I have mixed feelings on the snakeheads. I would LOVE to catch one. But I also don't think they belong in our waters. But they are here to stay until the next ice age. Or until we import some super freshwater shark that only eats snakeheads to kill them off and then import something else to kill off the sharks....

#19 Aug-06-14 10:22AM

Ernie
Administrator

I can see it now....Capt. Mike's Freshwater Shark Fishing Charters!

#20 Aug-06-14 10:27AM

captmikestarrett
Patagonian Toothfish
Website

There Was An Old Woman
There was an old woman who swallowed a fly,
I don't know why she swallowed a fly,
Perhaps she'll die.

There was an old woman who swallowed a spider,
That wriggled and jiggled and tickled inside her,
She swallowed the spider to catch the fly,
I don't know why she swallowed the fly,
Perhaps she'll die.

There was an old woman who swallowed a bird,
How absurd! to swallow a bird,
She swallowed the bird to catch the spider,
Perhaps she'll die.

And the cycle of Man's dominance over nature will surely be the death of him..

Capt Mike

#21 Aug-06-14 10:49AM

AndrewDo124
Patagonian Toothfish

lol

#22 Aug-06-14 1:41PM

drxfish
Patagonian Toothfish

I think the snakehead will do fine w/o a limit.  They multiply like no other fish in our waters and have few if any predators.  I think maybe some areas are getting pressured more than others and the fish are adapting to the pressure.

Always wishin' I was fishin'

#23 Aug-06-14 4:03PM

captmikestarrett
Patagonian Toothfish
Website

drxfish wrote:

I think the snakehead will do fine w/o a limit.  They multiply like no other fish in our waters and have few if any predators.  I think maybe some areas are getting pressured more than others and the fish are adapting to the pressure.

Only LGMouth bass , crappie , white perch , catfish , yellow perch eat the fry. Once a couple inches the LGMouth gorge on them. Then as they get to 8 inches plus the birds like osprey, eagles and herons both blue and green eat them. Also a huge contingent of white egrets have moved farther north to enjoy the the easy prey.

They have no spiny fins  so they are well liked by all predators.

Capt Mike

#24 Aug-06-14 4:38PM

AbuMasgouf
Northern Snakehead
Website

captmikestarrett wrote:

There Was An Old Woman
There was an old woman who swallowed a fly,
I don't know why she swallowed a fly,
Perhaps she'll die.

There was an old woman who swallowed a spider,
Perhaps she'll die.

There was an old woman who swallowed a bird,
How absurd! to swallow a bird,
She swallowed the bird to catch the spider,
Perhaps she'll die.

And the cycle of Man's dominance over nature will surely be the death of him..

Capt Mike

Hats off to you Captain Mike. You sir are one of a kind and you have my support smile

Mustafa
ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
2016 Hobie Outback
"Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam Al'Sadiq (p)

#25 Aug-06-14 7:49PM

drxfish
Patagonian Toothfish

captmikestarrett wrote:

drxfish wrote:

Only LGMouth bass , crappie , white perch , catfish , yellow perch eat the fry. Once a couple inches the LGMouth gorge on them. Then as they get to 8 inches plus the birds like osprey, eagles and herons both blue and green eat them. Also a huge contingent of white egrets have moved farther north to enjoy the the easy prey.

They have no spiny fins  so they are well liked by all predators.

Capt Mike

Oops, I stand corrected.  I think it is still soon to start a limit, but I do not make a living fishing them...

Last edited by drxfish (Aug-06-14 7:51PM)

Always wishin' I was fishin'

Board footer