Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Jun-20-13 5:31PM

jffoley
Northern Snakehead

Pohick 6/20

Hooked up with Bruce for a couple hours at Pohick this morning. A bit slow or, I/we didn't figure the correct lure de jour. We both managed 3 or 4 nice LM. I landed 2 @16", 1 @ 15" and 1 @ 13". All fat and heavy for their length. Couple other swings and misses. Also "caught" a big a$$ Potomac Pike. About 30". Had him beat and next to the kayak for several minutes. Called over to Bruce but he was a ways away. Biggest one I've ever hooked. Slimy, smelly critters. Was trying to figure out what to do with it (no net, no fish grip) when he twisted one more time and got off. Good! He woulda been a problem in the kayak! Although, I did want to get a pic.

Some pics of the LM (and me. Thanks Bruce!):

http://s1023.photobucket.com/user/jffol … hick062013

Saw a lot of pike today including a couple bigun's spawning. That was interesting. They make a very distinctive sound when they gulp air. I was able to watch for several minutes. They looked like dinosaurs with their fins extended above the surface during the dance. BIG splash at "the moment"!

Cobra Explorer Kayak
Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Co-Founder
www.cbkainc.com

#2 Jun-20-13 6:15PM

Ernie
Administrator

Re: Pohick 6/20

Nice work....I need to take my yak there and get into that action. My boat floats shallow but not like a yak.

Time to go fishin' again!

#3 Jun-20-13 6:17PM

Dominion Dan
Patagonian Toothfish

I got about 10 today during high tide this evening. All on topwaters. Averaged about 2lbs with two pushing 3.

#4 Jun-20-13 6:24PM

jffoley
Northern Snakehead

Evening is best for LM. Learned that from Capt. Mike. This was one of the few times I went there in the morning. Saw way more pike than in the evening. Hmmm.... Either that or their population is growing!

Cobra Explorer Kayak
Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Co-Founder
www.cbkainc.com

#5 Jun-20-13 7:29PM

Dominion Dan
Patagonian Toothfish

Its all about the tides. I for one don't like high tide in Pohick but that's the time I had to fish today so that's when I went. I prefer fallingtide this time of year. When the grass grows thicker then I will start fishing the high tide more

#6 Jun-21-13 3:06AM

Bruce
Northern Snakehead

Had a nice time on the water with John, although I missed more than I caught. While John was watching the snakeheads, I was watching the skies. Osprey were as active as I've ever seen regarding dive bombing the surface and frequently catching something. One osprey I saw caught a fish and then was partially pulled under by the fish. The bird tried mightily to take off with the fish, but he couldn't do it. Finally, he let go of his catch and then managed to take off. A very interesting act to watch.

It was a beautiful day to be out and the FLW guys weren't even a problem...guess they can't get where the kayaks can. Only negatives were that I forgot my camera and that I deposited one of my favorite rods into the water never to be seen again. By the time I heard it go over and got the Hobie turned around, I couldn't see it among the grass in the stained water. Oh well...gives me a reason to go shopping for a new rig.

#7 Jun-21-13 5:00AM

Ernie
Administrator

That's why I call this "expeditions"...it's not always about the fishing.

#8 Jun-21-13 7:36AM

captmikestarrett
Patagonian Toothfish
Website

I would dare to say, without really knowing that Pohick does not get the huge amount of bow fisherman that Mattawomen gets every night. Hence more Potomac Pike.

Capt Mike

Last edited by captmikestarrett (Jun-21-13 7:37AM)

Light Tackle Fishing Guide on the Potomac

#9 Jun-21-13 10:32AM

Ernie
Administrator

captmikestarrett wrote:

I would dare to say, without really knowing that Pohick does not get the huge amount of bow fisherman that Mattawomen gets every night. Hence more Potomac Pike.

They do get their fair share but certainly not like the "M"....

Board footer