Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Jun-08-13 11:55AM

purpleworm
Northern Snakehead

Decline of the Potomac River

I've been in an ongoing discussion with folks on another forum for sometime regarding the noticable decline of the quality of the Potomac fishery this year. Many of these people have several things to blame for this occurring - lack of aquatic vegetation, snakeheads, excessive tournament pressure, weather. Here's my take on the situation. I would enjoy hearing your opinions as well.

There's no doubt about it, the river is not fishing as well this year, especially for the more mature fish. However, I believe there is much more to it then that.

Tidal estuaries like the Potomac River are some of the most complex ecological systems on our planet, and they are constantly in a state of change. Lack of SAV, snakeheads, tournament/commercial fishing pressure and LMBV all probably play an important role in this change. However, there are many other aspects of the river that may have contributed to this change as well that most don't realize.

Weather patterns create large impacts on the hydrodynamics of the river in ways that are not well understood. It alters things like nutrient transport, sedimentation, salinity and dissolved oxygen levels, which affect not only the sport fish we target, but also the phytoplankton and benthic processes of which the entire ecosystem and its food chain is built around. What this adds up to is a vastly complex system that even the best minds in biology have trouble understanding completely.

As fragile as this system may be, it can be just as resilient. Tidal river systems, and all bodies of water for that matter, go through cycles of decline and prosperity. That is nature's way, and is the case for most every aspect of this planet. As humans, we live fast-paced, self-centric lives and often have narrow perspectives which don't allow us to see the whole cycle for what it really is. Perhaps the ecology of the river is in decline, but that doesn't mean it won't come back.

That being said, there are relatively few things we as anglers can control. Probably the most impactful thing we can do is change the way we use the resource. I personally enjoy fishing tournaments and do so throughout most of the year. However, I believe protecting the quality of the resource for my and my children's use far outweighs my need to compete against others and win some money for it (which, in my case at least, is not very much). I would not hesitate to support measures that would help protect these fish, whether it be a slot limit, or a seasonal or even complete ban on large bass tournaments. Other states around us do it, and because we don't, anglers from these places flock to our river and exacerbate the problem even more.

We think we are not harming these fish with catch and release tournaments, but some studies have shown up to a 30% post-release mortality rate for bass caught in tournaments. And that doesn't even include the ones that don't make it to the scales alive. I fished in one of these major tournaments last week, and in the 10 minutes I spent in line waiting for a weigh bag I saw at least a dozen dead fish pulled out of the release tanks and tossed into a waste basket. Almost all of them appeared to be 3 pounds or larger. And guess who was the one doing the tossing? The local state DNR rep. I'm sure he didn't enjoy this task one bit, but the smile on his face told me this was simply business as usual.

This rant has gotten pretty long and I do apologize, but the bottom line is this: The Potomac River is an extremely complex system, and a lot of what happens to it is far beyond our control. But maybe we do need to focus a bit more on changing the things we can control. If we can do that, and also score a bit of luck from our unpredictable friend Mother Nature, perhaps in a few years the River will get right back to where we want it to be.

#2 Jun-08-13 1:33PM

mudkart
Northern Snakehead

Re: Decline of the Potomac River

3 (maybe 4?) FLW/BFL events by the end of June this year is too many. Most of these average around 100 boats.  There were 4 boats (3 were wrapped, which I'm assuming were Tx anglers practicing for the upcoming BFL/FLW events) right inside the mouth of Pomonkey yesterday:  that's a lot of boats for such a small space.

I would prefer some numbers to state with any certainty that there is a decline.  By numbers I mean comparing average weights from LAPR or other local tournaments; # of 5 or 6 fish limits over a certain poundage, etc. expressed on a by-year basis.

Are you talking about the discussion on BBC of this same topic?

Last edited by mudkart (Jun-08-13 1:46PM)

#3 Jun-08-13 2:24PM

Ernie
Administrator

Lot of stuff going on that we sometimes don't understand.

I like the club tourneys as well, they are fun. But as you know, I don't like doing them when the water warms up.

You and I had a banner day a few weeks back but I don't bass fish enough on the river to know better. I just enjoyed you putting us on fish.

One thing that I would like to see is leaving the spawning fish alone. Transporting them has to hurt them. Perhaps you close off the river for weigh tourneys for 4-6 weeks. Nothing wrong with a length tourney...get everyone a Hawg Trough and have at it!

Time to go fishin' again!

#4 Jun-08-13 8:10PM

purpleworm
Northern Snakehead

No this was on VAO. The weights of the bigger tx's have been significantly lower both in median weights and at the top. The 2 BFL's I have fished this year only had a few bags over 16lbs with a 18-19lbs for a winning weight. Last year you would generally see a winning weight of 20lbs or better for a tx that size, with 15+ taking the co-angler side. The last one I fished I believe 14+ got a check for boaters and only 9 something for the co's. You also didn't see the 20-25lb mega bags that you normally would for the earlier spring tx's. 12-14" fish are still abundant, but we are not seeing the bigger ones being caught.

Here's a breakdown of LAPR results borrowed from another guy on that forum:

I think we all have been reading about the Potomac and how the fishing is way off this year compared to last year. Did a comparison using LAPR results. Be interesting to see how the end of the year results come out. I compared the first 11 tx's this year to the first 11 tx's from 2012.

2013....(1st 11 tx's)....1440 fish weighed in at 4076.59 lbs. for a 2.83 lb. average
(average 39.18 boats)*

2012....(1st 11 tx's)....2094 fish weighed in at 6381.47 lbs. for a 3.04 lb. average
(average 43.90 boats)*

*not sure the average # of boats had too much to do with it, but that just shows how the economy has had an affect on us as fisherman. The extra 4 boat average that is missing from this year means that each boat would have had to have over 52 lbs. per tx to make up the difference.

On a more positive note, the Upper Bay has been fishing fantastic this year. The average size fish is 3-3.5lbs and weekend tx winning bags have been well over 20lbs, with a few huge 27+lb bags brought to the scales. That is just outstanding fishing, about as good as you will find anywhere near out latitude. I hope to get up there and spend some time this summer, sounds awesome.

Board footer