Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Feb-14-13 7:05AM

backtofuturetoyota
Patagonian Toothfish

Trout fishing at Ft AP Hill

Anyone else on the forum go to Ft AP Hill for trout?  If your not familiar with the program, it's stocked trout (rainbows).  It's nice to get out and get the line wet.  If you go or wanna go post up and I will try to provide all the details.  I'll be out there tomorrow (Friday 2/15), Sunday and maybe Monday....smoked trout is very popular in my house!

#2 Feb-15-13 11:18AM

Bryan
Patagonian Toothfish

Re: Trout fishing at Ft AP Hill

I may do some trout fishing this weekend, but AP Hill is a little far for me. I'd likely go to Cossey Pond or somewhere in Madison county.

tight lines

#3 Feb-20-13 4:43AM

backtofuturetoyota
Patagonian Toothfish

Absolutely understand the distance.  I happen to live part time near there, so I try to take advantage of that situation.  I went out on Sunday (7 am) and froze my butt off because of the high winds.  But, had a blast catching my limit of trout by 9 am.  I'm getting the brine recipe and smoker ready!

#4 Feb-20-13 6:09AM

Bryan
Patagonian Toothfish

Nice. There's no better way to cook trout than smoking.

tight lines

#5 Feb-20-13 6:45AM

hookup
Patagonian Toothfish

backtofuturetoyota wrote:

I'm getting the brine recipe and smoker ready!

Sounds good to me!

#6 Mar-04-13 4:52AM

backtofuturetoyota
Patagonian Toothfish

Just a quick note to everyone about my gear in the freezing temperatures....I was using a 4 lbs spiderwire (Ultracast) brand I believe.  It is white in color and reminds me of dental floss.  Anyway, the bad thing about this line is that when your gear freezes it tends to slip on the spool (meaning tightening the drag won't help...the entire spool of line just kept spinning around).  If it weren't for the friction from the eyelets and the pole being in a vertical position, I would not have been able to bring any of the fish in.  Lesson learned....find a way to lock/tape the first layer of line down around the base of the spool.

#7 Mar-20-13 8:00AM

backtofuturetoyota
Patagonian Toothfish

Finally got around to smoking some trout.  Brined them for 12 hours in a mix of 1/2 cup sea salt, 1/2 cup brown sugar, honey, etc.  Smoked at 100 degrees for 6 hours with apple wood and apricot wood.  The results......delicious!

http://i731.photobucket.com/albums/ww313/backtofuturetoyota/2013-03-17_15-36-42_763_zps5d976113.jpg

#8 Mar-20-13 8:03AM

Bryan
Patagonian Toothfish

Yum! Smoked trout makes great dip too!

tight lines

Board footer