Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Sep-24-12 9:38PM

IL_DUCE

OBX Trip 2012

Going down to the Outer Banks this Thursday through Sunday.  I will be hitting the surf and piers, and got a good tip to hit the point at Hatteras from a customer at Dick's. Any one been down lately and have any hot spots? Unfortunately I will probably be landlocked- the charter trips tend to be expensive, and I don't want to go on a headboat when I can catch those fish from the surf.

#2 Sep-25-12 8:38AM

captmikestarrett
Patagonian Toothfish
Website

Re: OBX Trip 2012

The pointe in Buxton is a good bet and a sound choice. But be aware that new driving regs require you to sit thru a 20 minute video and pay 50 bucks for the driving on the sand. Also keep in mind that you must the proper equipment now to drive on the sand.

Walking out to the pointe is a young mans thing. Bring stingsilver for blues with wire leader on a spinning rod. Bring your heaver for 8 n bait. And bring a med action spinning rod for trout and flounder in the first roll of surf.

If you choose to walk over then a double rig with small hooks is great for small fish like croaker and sea mullet. In fact that rig in the right place will catch everything..

If you need more choices let me know as I have 30 plus years down there in the surf.

Capt Mike

Light Tackle Fishing Guide on the Potomac

#3 Sep-25-12 2:52PM

IL_DUCE

Captain Mike thanks for the info- some "sound' advice there. I have walked out to the point before- it's not too bad- even at high tide (i would like to consider myself still young. . . ). I picked up a stingsilver at the Dick's in Fairfax when I saw they were perfected in the Outer Banks. Size 4 hooks good for double rigs? There have been lots of puppy drum and specks caught in the surf recently- I'm lookin' forward to it!

#4 Sep-26-12 6:15AM

captmikestarrett
Patagonian Toothfish
Website

Size 4 is good and I really like those bloodworm bites as they stay on the hook really good. Bring scissors to cut them.
Also evil dick shrimp works very well.

If you catch a small bluefish use him for small chunk bait on the double rig and the belly for long strips for flounder on a flounder rig...

Sea clams on the double rig will get some nice black drum too.

Capt Mike

Light Tackle Fishing Guide on the Potomac

Board footer