Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#26 Sep-03-16 11:16AM

Ramdizzle

Re: fishin with frogs

I'm a little late to the party but figured I would give my input anyways since I love froggin.

Personally I would never use leaders or snaps when froggin. You are adding too many variables into the equation that could fail. You would be quite upset if you hooked that boss hog and lost him due to a leader and/or snaps when using 65lb braid. IMO it defeats the purpose of using heavy braid especially when throwing into heavy cover. I have ripped limbs off trees after getting my lure caught using 65lb braid. Tie the frog straight to the line every time.

Also, when fishing with frogs reel gearing very important. You want to use a higher gear ratio so you can get them to the bank/boat before they can dive too deep back into cover. I wouldn't go below a 6.6:1 up to 8.8:1.

Fishing with forgs is by far my favorite. I do most of my fog fishing later in the afternoon and well into the evening. My current set up is a 7'3" Heavy fast action 13 Fishing Omen rod with a Quantum Energy 7.0:1 reel, Power Pro 65lb braid. (I switch between 50lb & 65lb). I personally like Strike King KVD Sexy frogs the best. I have a ton of all major brand frogs and lets be honest, which ever one is catching fish that day is my favorite. You really can't go wrong with any of the name brands.

Board footer