Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Jun-24-12 2:14PM

T.
Patagonian Toothfish

Potomac from Angler's Inn 6/24

Another day of firsts, yesterday was my first carp and fallfish.  Today I tried a new spot.  I brought a large wagon to carry my kayak to and from the river, but it was still tough because the hill was so steep.  I got started about 0630 and fished until about 1300. I caught a redbreast sunfish before launching.  I tried topwater for a bit with no success.  There was only a little surface activity.  I worked my way up the river on the MD side while trolling a firetiger bitsy minnow on the shallow side and a firetiger Bomber A on the deep side.  A 15" channel cat hit the bitsy minnow.  I got moving again and then something took the Bomber A.  My first walleye!  Too short for Kayak Wars though. That's a mean fish.  At first it was laying calmly on the board and I thought that was great, easy to get a picture.  Well that didn't last long.  I could barely hold it against the board, it was really strong.

Eventually I got up to Difficult Run.  Last time I was here the river was flooded and about 10ft deeper.  I caught one smallie on a tube then decided to check out Black Pond again. Up the cliffs are a bunch of pools and Black Pond is the biggest.  In November there were no signs of fish. I brought one rod with the Bomber A. This time the first pool I came across had a bunch of minnows, some sunfish and some small largemouths. The fish would follow but not bite.  Then I came across a nesting area for vultures.  There were two large chicks that were trying to hide from me.  In a small pool with a red hue next to Black Pond I caught a green sunfish.  At Black Pond I had one largemouth get off and then I landed another, both small.

Then I fished all around the southern end of Sherwin Island. Heading up a chute that paddle boards were active in I caught another channel cat and a smallie.  Then on the way down the rapids I got another smallie. I found a spot I could park out of the current for a bit.  Caught one small largemouth and noticed something was making the baitfish jump nearby.  I was able to pull out three smallies on a tube and bitsy minnow.

http://youtu.be/xNpvyNmFqGQ

Last edited by T. (Jun-24-12 6:34PM)

#2 Jun-24-12 3:16PM

GregF
Northern Snakehead

Re: Potomac from Angler's Inn 6/24

Great video T!  I was hoping to see the vulture's nest.

That area looks like it would be really fun to fish.  Not sure how you got to it.  Let me know next time you go.

#3 Jun-24-12 4:43PM

Ernie
Administrator

Nice adventure.....

Time to go fishin' again!

#4 Jun-24-12 6:55PM

Bass Hunter
Northern Snakehead

Great video Travis. That spot looks awesome. Doesnt look crowded either. Did you see any snakeheads there?

#5 Jun-25-12 2:31AM

Bruce
Northern Snakehead

Travis,
Congratulations on the successful trips. I have been recovering from eye surgery and haven't been able to yak fish for over 2 months. So I am really enjoying your videos as that's the next best thing to being there in person. Hope to be back on the water this week. Thanks for sharing...
Bruce

#6 Jun-25-12 3:40PM

T.
Patagonian Toothfish

Hey Bruce, good to hear you're back to fishing.  We'll have to meet up at Beaverdam in the evening when the wind's not blowing hard.   Seems like it always either really hot with no wind or just right with 20mph wind.  Any moderate wind during the day usually goes away closer to sunset when the fishing it better anyways.

Last edited by T. (Jun-25-12 3:41PM)

#7 Jun-26-12 3:32AM

Bruce
Northern Snakehead

Sounds like a plan...

#8 Jun-26-12 5:18AM

Bryan
Patagonian Toothfish

Nice report, good job on the catching.

tight lines

#9 Jul-02-12 12:09PM

hookup
Patagonian Toothfish

One of the prettiest river area's in the region.

Be careful there when the water's up - as you experianced allot of current.

Board footer