Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Jun-04-12 9:57AM

Aches n Pains
Northern Snakehead

GoPro mount

Trying to decide which mounts would work best for a GoPro camera.  Plan to use it for fishing, bicycling, etc.  Thinking of a chest mount and/or a head strap mount.  Sounds like the chest mount makes framing difficult and the head mount introduces a lot of motion.

Anyone have experience with these or other mounts?

Thanks,

Aches n Pains (Doug)

#2 Jun-04-12 10:03AM

Ernie
Administrator

Re: GoPro mount

I have seen the yak guys mount it on their heads (hats) and I saw a few of them on helmets on my ride yesterday.

Time to go fishin' again!

#3 Jun-04-12 10:58AM

hookup
Patagonian Toothfish

I am not into the GoPro mounting thing, but if you have the $$'s, check out

http://www.yakattack.us/

If I was doing it, I'd figure out a way to mount it w/ a Scotty's rod holder, PVC, home depot bolt, and a piece of balsa.

#4 Jun-05-12 6:09AM

GregF
Northern Snakehead

I ended up getting a camera Monopod (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003WP … 01_s00_i00) that is extendable/telescopic for $12.  I also took a ball and socket joint from another tripod (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000ID … 00_s00_i00) so I could position the camera at any angle. The monopod fits nicely in the standard angled rod holder on either side right behind the seat.  The angle of the rod holder and the telescopic monopod allows me to position the camera looking over my shoulder.  It also is easily removable so I can take pics when I want to.  I don't have a pic of the setup yet.  I will take one tonight if interested.  The whole thing cost me under $20.

The main advantage of the helmet mount is that you can point the camera where you are looking.  It makes it very easy to frame the interesting stuff in the picture independent of the orientation of the kayak.  Joe (ComeOnFish) is the helmet cam king.  He takes great videos.  He kind of looks like a teletubby with that camera sticking out of the top of his head, but the videos make it worth it.

#5 Jun-05-12 9:00AM

Plastic Bigfoot

I will take one tonight if interested.

Interested.

"Fish," he said softly, aloud, "I’ll stay with you until I am dead."

#6 Jun-05-12 9:47AM

Bryan
Patagonian Toothfish

I don't have a GoPro, but I do some hat and yak video with a Tachyon mini camera.

I have a short monopod for the front of the yak (that one is used mostly for still pictures), and a taller one that attaches to the crate or cooler behind me. I bought a couple of mini tripods and took the swiveling camera mounts off of those to use for my monopods.

For mobile footage, I made a clip to hold the camera on the bill of a cap. I don't use a harness or helmet or anything. For the "head cam" style of filming, you kinda have to learn to keep your neck a little stiff to cut down on shakiness.

tight lines

Board footer