Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 May-30-12 12:06PM

Plastic Bigfoot

Summer Catch List

I was updating my summer catch list (mine is species I've never caught before) and I thought it would be fun to see if you guys had a similar list. If so lets see it and where/how you plan to complete it by the end of the summer. Tips appreciated to help accomplish the list. Ill start.

In no particular order:

1. Bowfin - Going to Broad Run Lake this afternoon with IL_DUCE, throwing some brown plastics or sunfish if I catch one small enough. Use a sabiki rig down at my river house in King William, VA to catch baitfish to throw out.
2. Snakehead - Planning a trip in towards DC to get on the Potomac, throw some frogs in the back streams.
3. A 20+ lb. catfish - Take the canoe out night fishing at the river house using similar rig methods to #1.
4. Carp - bought some oatmeal for dough balls, getting over to ABC or the Pavilion one of these days to try it.
5. Yellow Perch - This one will probably just be luck on a plastic or spinner, I'll need to just fish as much as possible to increase my odds ;-)
6. Pickerel - Taking my kayak upriver on the Mattaponi and throwing some spinners or small plastics.
7. Northern Pike - Not sure how I'll accomplish this one. Still weighing options.

Planning a trip out to Oregon in August so I'll probably catch things that weren't even on my list.

"Fish," he said softly, aloud, "I’ll stay with you until I am dead."

#2 May-30-12 12:27PM

Ernie
Administrator

Re: Summer Catch List

That's a good list....

I take them as I get 'em. Some are surprises and some are targeted. On your list I am missing only #7. Maybe one day.

I've actually caught a banded rudderfish before.  Big joke on the Tidal Fish forum.....

Time to go fishin' again!

#3 May-30-12 1:25PM

Bryan
Patagonian Toothfish

1. Cobia
2. Spotted bass

I doubt I'll catch either anytime soon

tight lines

#4 May-30-12 1:51PM

Dominion Dan
Patagonian Toothfish

I've had a list to catch every freshwater fish in VA. Carl helped me with a few of them but since he died I've kinda forgotten about it to be honest.

I think the tough ones left on my list are musky, bowfin, and gar. I caught a pike down near JMU so I got lucky with that one.

Ken, I got a good spot where you can cross off Snakehead and Yellow Perch in the same trip.

Last edited by Dominion Dan (May-30-12 1:53PM)

#5 May-30-12 5:47PM

Plastic Bigfoot

That banded rudderfish looks awesome, Id like to catch one of those. Dan, is it Pohick? I'm down for a Lodge trip anywhere if you get some time off. We can go down to my river house and I'll put you on some good sized gar. I don't recall if you have a bow or not but if you do we could rig something up where you could get a gar, unless your list is rod and reel only haha. Doesnt Burke Lake have Musky? Rob and I got skunked on our Bowfin trip today.

#6 May-30-12 6:18PM

captmikestarrett
Patagonian Toothfish
Website

1 thru 6 I can help with.

Capt Mike

Light Tackle Fishing Guide on the Potomac

#7 May-30-12 9:14PM

Plastic Bigfoot

Capt. Mike, I'm always open to help furthering my experience, especially when it comes to fishing. I'm assuming you're referring to your guide service? Also Dan, was your list EVERY fish? Like dace and all those other tiny ones? I've been looking into "microfishing".

#8 May-31-12 3:41AM

basscrusher
Northern Snakehead

My list is pretty short and direct:

1.  8 pound largemouth
2.  5 pound smallmouth

I doubt I'll get to do much (if any) saltwater fishing this summer, so I'm leaving that out.  I already have citations for LMB, yellow perch, chain pickerel, so that's not a priority.  Now I'm just looking for my own version of white whales.

#9 May-31-12 12:42PM

GregF
Northern Snakehead

My list:
- Redfish - already tried once going down to VA Bch.  Didn't get any.  I am working on another trip or 2 this summer with Chad Hoover or Redfish
- 40+ inch Pike - Canada trip in July (WOOHOO!)
- 30+ inch Walleye - Canada trip
- Snakehead - Got that one at Mattawoman on a frog last weekend (first snakehead)
- 7 lb LMB - I think Mattawoman or Occoquan are my best bets, but am open to suggestions for the best opportunity
- 3+ lb SMB - Upper Potomac on the kayak (gotta learn the potomac patterns)
- Sunnies on a flyrod - Cedar lake
- 9 inch Brook Trout - Fall trip to Rapidan
- Gar??

I saw a bunch of Gar swimming around at Mattawoman.  What is the best way to catch them?  They seem pretty uninterested in the lures I was throwing.

#10 May-31-12 2:53PM

basscrusher
Northern Snakehead

Greg -

There are special gar flies with no hook.  The threads get tangled in their teeth to hold them, as their mouths are too bony for consistent hook penetration.  I love the tidal Potomac, but you stand a better shot at a 7lb LMB at one of several lakes in VA.  Briery and Sandy River Res would top the list.  Germantown lake has Florida strain genes in it also.  as for big smallies on the upper Potomac...think BIG tubes.  You'll lose alot due to snags, but by far are the best big smallie bait I know.  Strike King coffee tubes are about the right size and bulkiness.

#11 May-31-12 6:56PM

GregF
Northern Snakehead

Thanks for the info.  Those are great suggestions.

Board footer