Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 May-28-12 8:15PM

CrankbaitGuy

NF Shenandoah 5/28

Didn't go to my usual spot, instead I put in a bit up river at 915AM.  I'm just not getting up early anymore even when fishing.  Started the day off with a bang, tough if a bit lazy 14" SMB in a slough off the main river. 

Moved downstream a bit a got an ambitious 10" creek chub on 4" of Renegade (Walmart's house brand) slash bait.  Nothing more for a while, but I found some deeper water and started drop shotting.  Hooked up with a much more energetic 13-14" SMB that I struggled to keep out of the rocks.  I got it close but the line snapped when as I was trying to unhook.  Kept at it, picked up a dink SMB later. 

Found a good sized LMB huddled up in a pocket, but it just wasn't having anything I threw at it.  Moved downstream, saw a few more LMB, but too late as I went right on top of them and spooked them.  Gave them some time to cool off and picked up a pair of small LMB in the 8-10" range.  Finally went back to the well-shaded slough where I started the day trying to catch that SMB again as I botched getting the picture the first time.  No luck with the SMB, but I found its' neighbor, a nice fat 16" sow LMB.  She looked to be still in spawn mode, so I made sure to get her back safely.  Will post picture later.  Off the water at 1PM, as a bonus I picked up a nearly new Rapala X-Rap that someone snagged on a rock.

Really good day fishing, I'm really feeling good about the river, it's fishing all very finesse.  Of note: all the bass were caught on small soft plastics.  The SMB were all on 2" plastic minnows black and reddish silver.  The LMB were on black 3" Case Magic Sticks.   I'm using drop shot, texas and split shot rigs.  Tubes, crawfish jigs, worms, plugs got nothing, nibbles and that creek chub.

Last edited by CrankbaitGuy (May-28-12 8:16PM)

#2 May-29-12 11:59AM

Bryan
Patagonian Toothfish

Re: NF Shenandoah 5/28

Nice report, sounds like a fun day.

tight lines

#3 May-29-12 8:23PM

CrankbaitGuy

Re: NF Shenandoah 5/28

I need to get better at safely unhooking fish in current, taking a picture and releasing it, but here is the last fish of the day:
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7095/7299394806_7b53a5a966.jpg

My weird knack for catching largemouth in one of nation's better smallmouth rivers continues.  Hasty measurements and the length/girth for bass tables says she weighs like 2.5-3lbs.  I'll deny all this and say 4!

Last edited by CrankbaitGuy (May-29-12 8:25PM)

Board footer