Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 May-27-12 10:49AM

BillyBigMouth
Northern Snakehead

Burke Lake?

Has anyone went for cats or Muskee in Burke Lake?  I really want to but don't know if it is any good...

#2 May-27-12 4:35PM

GregF
Northern Snakehead

Re: Burke Lake?

every time I ask that same question, people say it isn't worth it.  They say that lake gets more pressure than any other lake in VA and it is very difficult to catch fish.  They said, if you go, go at night and mid week.  Disclaimer:  I don't have any first hand knowledge of the lake.

#3 May-27-12 5:08PM

basscrusher
Northern Snakehead

Greg is right...Burke lake gets more pressure per acre than any other body of water in VA.  I've fished it a ton in the past 12 years, mostly for bass, but here's my advice:

For cats:  they can be caught, but big ones will test your patience.  You are more likely to pull up some idiot's tangled mess of 80-lb braid with a 4 oz sinker attached.  If you do go, please don't do like everyone else there and toss a saltwater rig with 6lbs of lead attached.  It's a lake, and you only need about a half oz of lead to get your bait down.

Muskies:  how much resolve do you possess?  Hooking into them repeatedly is more luck than anything else.  I know lots of talented guys that have only caught them on accident while bass fishing.  I know NOBODY who targets them intentionally much of the time.  I love a challenge, but Burke muskies aren't really worth it to me.  You may be up to it, but they don't call them the fish of 10,000 casts for nothing!

#4 May-28-12 8:27PM

CrankbaitGuy

Burke used to be the state's brood stock source for muskies and they are regularly caught.  Most of the muskie stories I've heard are incidental to other fishing, though I once met a guy who claimed that trolling was good there.  I tried targeting them for about a year with all the knowledge I got from one unsuccessful guided muskie trip and some things I read.  Just lost a lot of big expensive lures and leaders and cut my hand on braid a few times.

I caught a few small channel cats there during the daytime way back in the late 1980s on night crawlers.

#5 May-30-12 6:00AM

IL_DUCE

There are definitely some catfish to be caught in there. There is a really deep channel to your right towards the dyke if youre launching from the public boat rental. I have never caught a muskie there, and bass fishing has been pretty poor for me besides from when I have caught them on their beds.

#6 Jul-02-12 5:34PM

SteveSquared

look at my post... i have had luck at burke lake... but yes it get over fished...

#7 Jul-03-12 6:08AM

hookup
Patagonian Toothfish

Sure, it's heavily fished but .....

You'll never know until you get a line wet.

#8 Jul-13-12 9:36AM

BillyBigMouth
Northern Snakehead

I think I am going to head there tonight for a try at some catfish with live bait

#9 Jul-13-12 10:46AM

Ernie
Administrator

BillyBigMouth wrote:

I think I am going to head there tonight for a try at some catfish with live bait

Good luck....as George said, "You'll never know until you get a line wet.

Time to go fishin' again!

#10 Jul-13-12 12:01PM

captmikestarrett
Patagonian Toothfish
Website

I have great evenings of cat fishing there. There is a point directly across from boat rental area that is really good. Google map these cord. 38.764800, -77.299901.

Park in the camping area and walk the long walk. Best bait was shrimp uncooked. Rig is 1oz egg sinker and a 16 inch leader with a 2/0 hook.

Need some bug spray and keep the lights off as much as possible.

The Muskie are an early dawn only thing down by the dam. Best bait is rapala stick bait. I have got three out of there before they drained it. Spent many hours rowing that lake in younger days.

Capt Mike

Light Tackle Fishing Guide on the Potomac

#11 Jul-13-12 12:18PM

Ernie
Administrator

captmikestarrett wrote:

I have great evenings of cat fishing there. There is a point directly across from boat rental area that is really good. Google map these cord. 38.764800, -77.299901.

Park in the camping area and walk the long walk. Best bait was shrimp uncooked. Rig is 1oz egg sinker and a 16 inch leader with a 2/0 hook.

Need some bug spray and keep the lights off as much as possible.

The Muskie are an early dawn only thing down by the dam. Best bait is rapala stick bait. I have got three out of there before they drained it. Spent many hours rowing that lake in younger days.

Now THAT....is some good info for BBM!

#12 Jul-13-12 12:27PM

BillyBigMouth
Northern Snakehead

Awesome!!!  Thanks a lot!  I will have to check out that spot.  Great info which should help out my first trip there a lot!!!  I will report back

Rowing that lake???  As in, the sport of rowing?  I happen to be a coach and am on the USA National Rowing Team smile

#13 Jul-13-12 12:29PM

Ernie
Administrator

BillyBigMouth wrote:

Rowing that lake???  As in, the sport of rowing?  I happen to be a coach and am on the USA National Rowing Team smile

Where and what type scull?

#14 Jul-13-12 12:35PM

captmikestarrett
Patagonian Toothfish
Website

Oh noooo not sculling.. square slow tin boats they rent.. Back before the drain down it was my only means of propolsion.

Truth is we would rent a boat on Monday and drag into the woods and use it for for three or four days while camping there. Then just return it. I heard they got wise to our tactics and now have you check the oars out and in.

Later we brought our own tin boat and camping allowed us to get on the lake very early for the Muskie.

It was not fun dragging the boat down to the lake and back from the campgrounds. But we did it.

Capt Mike

Light Tackle Fishing Guide on the Potomac

#15 Jul-13-12 12:40PM

BillyBigMouth
Northern Snakehead

I am a coxswain on the team (8 and 4 man boats).  I do own a single, though, that I like to get exercise in every once in a while.

I am the Head Coach for Langley High School.  I also worked to help start the high school programs who row out at Beaverdam.  Was one of the main coaches for their first summer program out there this past summer.

#16 Jul-13-12 1:20PM

Ernie
Administrator

BillyBigMouth wrote:

I also worked to help start the high school programs who row out at Beaverdam.  Was one of the main coaches for their first summer program out there this past summer.

Good work!

#17 Jul-13-12 3:51PM

basscrusher
Northern Snakehead

There's no current in Burke Lake, therefore I don't see a need for a 1 oz sinker, especially when casting distance isn't a priority.  I'm saying this because I'm getting tired of snagging heavy ocean-appropriate sinkers with 80-lb braid attached that have broken off out there at Burke.  People (usually amateurs) use WAY too heavy of tackle for catfishing in these small lakes.  a medium-heavy spinning outfit with 30 lb braid and a 1/2 oz sinker will suffice at Burke Lake, which is mostly less than 20 ft deep.  My Loomis LBR 844S gets the job done just fine with a Shimano Spheros 4000.  My buddy landed a 25 pounder on a bass flippin' stick.  It isn't the James river, where current and 80 pound cats necessitate heavy gear.

#18 Jul-15-12 3:40PM

BillyBigMouth
Northern Snakehead

Took a friend from Jersey out there Friday night who has only been fishing once in his life.  Figured it was fairly simple fishing for my rookie friend smile.  Shrimp were getting nothing but we did land 4 cats on night crawlers that night.  He caught one 26 incher.  He loved it so much that we went out again last night.  Not one hit last night... tried shrimp, fish scraps and worms.  Did not get to that spot you mentioned but I will at some point.  We were on the shore near the dam.

Board footer