Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Apr-09-12 12:17PM

hookup
Patagonian Toothfish

Cold start that got colder, windier & finally heated up nicely

Met up w/ a buddy this morning & hit a local flow.  When I loaded my yak, I had ice on the window.  What was that all about?  Couple weeks ago fish hitting flukes, and now ice?  Man, we're having crazy weather.

Got to the put in, did the shuttle, and got on the water around 8am.  Beautiful day, just cold.  Didn't think the fishing would be much since we had a full, and I mean FULL moon and blue bird skies, with a cold streak.

Developed a pattern early - top seams of eddies and was throwing tubes on my new swim bait jigs.  I like them.  The bite was very different than last week.  Slight ticks.  Landed a 13" right off the bat, and picked up many between 13-16".

My buddy & I stoped for a break to streach our legs, and when we took off I looked over just to see him flip.  It happened so fast, I couldn't believe it.  Luckily he had a dry suit and only got a little water inside.  I helped flip the boat back over & rescue his gear and the only loose was a box of flukes.  We got back to fishing and were both counting our lucky stars.  Only thing we can figure is he has a rear mounted anchor on his Coosa and it somehow was not secure and caught when he took off.

Finally, tossed infront of a ledge and the fight was on.  Push water - not even close to the pattern, but the pool in front of the ledge was deep, so warrented a cast.  After about 5 jumps and each time holding my breath hoping she wouldn't come off, I got this 19" to lip

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc227/HookUpAngler/IMGP0623.jpg

Got another 16" right after that was fat and thick.  She put up a good fight too.

Wind picked up and it was knarly.  So strong it pushed both of us back up river, so at around 4pm we decided we had enough and paddled to the take out.  What a work out.

Good day & I'm tired.

#2 Apr-09-12 12:21PM

Ernie
Administrator

Re: Cold start that got colder, windier & finally heated up nicely

Very nice Goerge.....I would like to join you when a baseball ccap is all that's needed on the head!

Time to go fishin' again!

#3 Apr-09-12 1:39PM

redskinsfan360
Patagonian Toothfish

nice one!

#4 Apr-09-12 1:41PM

Ernie
Administrator

And all on home made custom rods and jigs......

Time to go fishin' again!

#5 Apr-09-12 3:29PM

jumping jasper
Patagonian Toothfish

nice smallie!

smile

Board footer