Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Mar-21-12 4:41PM

Salmo

March 21, 2012

Caught 8 species in DC today, gizzard shad, blue catfish, striped bass, bluegill, crappie, largemouth bass, yellow perch and hickory shad. Only the shad on the fly rod. I fished most of the outgoing tide. HIt most of the shad at almost dead low tide. Missed several. Was not excellent by any means, had to move around a lot and most of them came from the john boat looking at a lot of other fletchers boats. I guess they are renting now.

The striper hit on a 6 inch sassy shad  near fletchers and was tiny for this time of year, 20 inches, the catfish inhaled fresh gizzard shad, couldn't fish two rods, action was far too fast.  Nothing huge, maybe one at 20 pounds. The yellow perch was a surprise and I found an area with good incoming current. Not easy todo in that section of the river. With the current were the largemouth. Lost a real nice fish too fishing crank baits near rip rap. The rattling rapala crank bait had to bounce of the bottom and when it did, it got bit. Caught quite a few bass in the 12 inch category in a very short time. Then I finally found a good school of crappie to play with. Not the dinner plate size but several respectable fish jigging a 1/16 oz head in about 5 feet of water with a two inch paddle tail. Spring in DC sure is grande. I wish it would never end. 

Saw quite a few perch get yanked up. The cormorants were having a good day on herring way up river and quite a few other fletchers boats were doing very well on hickory shad.  Let me quote Mike Bailey from the Washington Post a few years ago, " I'm in heaven, It's Almost April in DC" or something like that anyway.

http://waterdata.usgs.gov/md/nwis/uv?site_no=01646500

64 degrees already!!!!!  So much for seeing any cows.  Heard a few were around but very few.

Last edited by Salmo (Mar-21-12 4:50PM)

#2 Mar-21-12 7:34PM

Ernie
Administrator

Re: March 21, 2012

Great report Jon....

Time to go fishin' again!

#3 Mar-22-12 6:41AM

Bryan
Patagonian Toothfish

Re: March 21, 2012

Sounds like a great day! Nice mixed bag of fish.

tight lines

Board footer