Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Feb-10-12 1:01PM

Curly
Patagonian Toothfish

Occoquan 2-10-12

Bruce and I were on the water before 10 am.  Checked with a few boaters, and no one was catching any yellow perch.  Headed up to the RR bridge to start looking.  Ran into Paula "The Dock Lady" up there in another boat.  They had not caught any either, and Paula didn't express any of her usual 4-letter words towards us either (but did later in the day).  Bruce puts the skunk off the boat after about 30 minutes or so with this 9 lb carp.
http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb119/cokeempire/2012%20pics/2-10-12a.jpg
Then a boat comes up to us and this fella asks in a British accent, "Do you have a scale on your boat?"  We say yeah, and they pull up along side.  The Brit appears to be a guide and the other guy is on the phone with a VDG&IF guy.  They say the have a huge bass, and the guy on the phone is trying to find where a certified scale is near Occoquan.  So Bruce and I are thinking this must be a monster bass.  They take at least 5-7 minutes to get their act together before pulling the bass from the livewell for our scales (we had 2).  It's no monster.........scales teeter between 6-14 and 7-2.........It's only a 7 lb bass that is 21-3/4" long.
http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb119/cokeempire/2012%20pics/2-10-12b.jpg
All that drama for a 7 pounder..........tongue .  What a joke lol

We get back to fishing, but it's slow.  Bruce with a punk bass......
http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb119/cokeempire/2012%20pics/2-10-12c.jpg
And then the only YP that we know of caught on the Occoquan today...........all of 6"
http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb119/cokeempire/2012%20pics/2-10-12d.jpg
I eventually added a punk bass to the days catch.  Everything caught today was on a silver/gold buddie.  The weather was good to us today and we got a solid 4 hrs of fishing in............and we "ran the Gauntlet" on the way home! (all Waxpool lights green and didnt stop until the driveway).

Hell or High Water...........I'm Fishin!!   big_smile

#2 Feb-10-12 1:08PM

Ernie
Administrator

Re: Occoquan 2-10-12

Glad the weather was decent.....I was cold when I went to PT but then I was in shorts!  tongue

I think a 7 lb bass for the Big O is pretty good....the record for tidal water is 11.18 lbs!

Time to go fishin' again!

#3 Feb-10-12 1:16PM

Curly
Patagonian Toothfish

Pacemaker wrote:

..............I think a 7 lb bass for the Big O is pretty good....the record for tidal water is 11.18 lbs!

They were waaaaaaaaaaay too dramatic for that fish roll .  I guess you had to be there.  Maybe Bruce will chime in with his perspective?

#4 Feb-10-12 1:20PM

Ernie
Administrator

Well....I would have been dramatic if I caught that nice CARP!!!!  cool Very nice.....

#5 Feb-10-12 1:26PM

Curly
Patagonian Toothfish

Pacemaker wrote:

Well....I would have been dramatic if I caught that nice CARP!!!!  cool Very nice.....

Yeah, I think Bruce ribbed them a little about his carp being bigger than their bass lol

#6 Feb-10-12 2:10PM

Bruce
Northern Snakehead

Curly described the situation pretty well. So much drama and build-up on their part that we were expecting to hear a drum roll as their "at least 9-10 lb. bass" came out of the livewell. Maybe it shrunk or dieted after getting caught and before making its grand exit from the livewell. Oh well...it was a nice bass that either Curly or I would have been pleased to catch; but it didn't meet the expectation level that they had created. The carp I caught was unusual for me because I don't ever remember catching a carp in the mouth on a silver buddy. I've snagged many but they don't count. Speaking of snagging, Curly didn't mention the other monster that I did snag on a silver buddy...the smallest crappie I have ever seen. It was approximately one inch long, give or take an eighth of an inch. It took close examination to even determine that it was a crappie. Not sure how a crappie that small was in the water at prespawn time. Curly didn't even count it as a half fish...he only called it a "fraction." Last comment...his bass was quite a bit larger than a punk. Most people would have called it a nice fish, but by Curly's high standards, it was a punk.

#7 Feb-10-12 3:05PM

Ernie
Administrator

The good thing is that you guys were on the water.....

#8 Feb-10-12 3:18PM

Ernie
Administrator

I now know of two very recent and good YP reports where they have been caught in "pre spawn" areas. I do not profess to know where these areas are.

These were caught in SoMD today.

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj320/Kiko13PB/New%20Kiko/SoMDYP.jpg

#9 Feb-13-12 8:20AM

Bryan
Patagonian Toothfish

Nice report!

It's always funny to see how much anglers overestimate the size of their fish. Wish I had a nickel for every "Five pounder" I've seen that was more like 3. Most guys seem to be off by at least a pound in their estimates, some considerably more.

tight lines

Board footer