Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Feb-06-12 10:53AM

NOVAhunter
Northern Snakehead

2/4 Grouse Hunting

I was bored saturday in the morning and with the wife out of town decided when could be a better time to to hit the mountains again. When I pulled off on the gravel road they had locked the gate leading into the valley so I had to hoof it in. The good part of this was there wasn't a single vehicle parked there so I didn't have to worry as much about other people being out there.   I started beating the edge of a old cutover and flushed a bird right away. I swung through it shot and got a poplar tree... It was a little too big to fit in my game bag. I worked that area for about an hour and got two more to flush and got off a shot on the one but missed.  I hoofed it over to the  edge of an area that is mostly white pines and hemlock edging up to some mountain laurel and oak flats. I worked that edge and back down the middle and flushed 3 out from the same dead fall. They flushed at 30+ yards so I never go the shot off. I stayed out till around 3 when wet snow started falling. By my google earth estimates, I bushwhacked for about 7 miles and walked out another 3 on the fire road. I was beat when I got home..  For it being public land, I saw some really nice buck rubs out there and some hefty tracks.

#2 Feb-06-12 11:26AM

Ernie
Administrator

Re: 2/4 Grouse Hunting

That's quite a hike.....that is a good kind of tired.

Time to go fishin' again!

#3 Feb-07-12 4:52AM

jumping jasper
Patagonian Toothfish

Re: 2/4 Grouse Hunting

NOVAhunter wrote:

I was bored saturday in the morning and with the wife out of town decided when could be a better time to to hit the mountains again. When I pulled off on the gravel road they had locked the gate leading into the valley so I had to hoof it in. The good part of this was there wasn't a single vehicle parked there so I didn't have to worry as much about other people being out there.   I started beating the edge of a old cutover and flushed a bird right away. I swung through it shot and got a poplar tree... It was a little too big to fit in my game bag. I worked that area for about an hour and got two more to flush and got off a shot on the one but missed.  I hoofed it over to the  edge of an area that is mostly white pines and hemlock edging up to some mountain laurel and oak flats. I worked that edge and back down the middle and flushed 3 out from the same dead fall. They flushed at 30+ yards so I never go the shot off. I stayed out till around 3 when wet snow started falling. By my google earth estimates, I bushwhacked for about 7 miles and walked out another 3 on the fire road. I was beat when I got home..  For it being public land, I saw some really nice buck rubs out there and some hefty tracks.

That is a fantastic flush rate! Sounds like your heart rate was good too!

smile

Board footer