Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Feb-03-12 11:45AM

CozUF2001
Patagonian Toothfish
Website

Yakkity Yak

On Saturday I was yakking all day (the bad kind). On Sunday I bought a yak, the good kind. I was able to get a good deal on Heritage Redfish 12ft SOT yak on clearance. Coupled with some gift card loot, I was out the door for $470.

Now for the fun part. It has two built in rod holders and a third rod mount between my legs. I think I am good there.

I am looking into an anchor...should I leverage the pulley system or use a simple rope and weight tethered to the boat?

I need a paddle...not paying $200+ for carbon fiber...

Seat upgrade worthwhile?

It's 60lbs, so I am thinking of a cart to roll it to the water's edge.

No roof rack, so likely just gonna through it in the Tahoe.

Anything else I am missing? Appreciate the recos!

Looking forward to getting into these Richmond waters!

If it were easy, they'd call it catching!

#2 Feb-03-12 12:58PM

Osprey
Patagonian Toothfish
Website

Re: Yakkity Yak

Congrats on your new yak (the good kind). Number 1 on the list should be a PFD, it's a requirement. Doesn't have to be a fishing style with all the front pockets, they get in the way if you go over and have to climb back in. The most comfortable are the inflatable, make sure it's manual or atmospheric. The cheap autos will inflate if you take a wave in the face. Manual is way cheaper. As for the paddle get the very best you can afford, after a while on the water you'll notice the difference between ounces and pounds. If you can upgrade your seat you'll be glad you did. Surf to Summit GTS is one of the best available but close to $200. The older you are the more you'll be glad for the seat upgrade. They make a gel pad that will work till you can do better. If you already have a pulley system it's called an anchor trolley. Use it for your anchor. You can find an (anchor in a bag) at most places that sell canoe and yak gear. That will be one of your least expensive accessories.

When the manufacturer gives a weight (60 #) it's the hull before any rigging such as rod holders, hatches, foot pegs or bungees. Get a cart, and try to get something with fat wheels for sand. There are carts that insert into your scuppers and others that sit underneath with some sort of saddle arrangement. Mine is an underneath. If I could change one thing I'd get one with a kick stand so it would stand by itself. It's just easier than trying to lift and reach under the yak to stand it up.

Other things to consider that I consider necessary are:
1. Paddle leash and rod leashes, and when you have them - use them. If a rod goes over, it's gone. If your paddle goes over, even though it floats you'll be lucky to get it back without help. You in the yak will drift a lot faster than a paddle.
2. A whistle that snaps on your PFD.That way you can signal your buddy when you lose your paddle. They recommend a pea less whistle (works when wet).
3. If you'll be on the water where there are powerboats you should have  a high-vis flag on a pole, and if you might be on the water during darkness your pole should have a light.
Finally, sign up on some of the kayak message boards. A really good local one is Maryland Kayak Fishing (MKF) located at www.snaggedline.com Great mix of guys with a lot of good information available. They have a meet and greet every month, usually 2nd Saturday Check the site for an upcoming display set up at Bass Pro and a Flea Market in March with a lot of yak gear available. Mostly, have fun and be safe.

20' Key West..16' C-Hawk...Hobie Pro Angler...Hobie Outback

#3 Feb-03-12 1:18PM

Redfish12
Northern Snakehead
Website

Great information from BOB! (No idea why I was calling you Steve all day last time...) Great kayak by the way, I used to have one, hence the name.

Anchor Trolley- Check out ComeOnFish's videos on youtube, he has a great walk-through of one. I use the same set up, 2 deckloops (mine are hard plastic from West Marine), a stainless steel ring, and some paracord. It slides easily and doesn't rust. The pulleys are nice but you have to get the expensive ones if you want them to last. I really don't anchor much, so it was money better spent elsewhere for me.

The Redfish seat is actually pretty comfortable as far as kayak seats go. You're butt will get numb after awhile though and a cheap fix for this is to goop a piece of foam under the seat. The knee pad boards from the garden section work great for this. Just cut to shape.

Cart is a good idea, you can make one from PVC if you're handy or buy one. I have a seattle sports one I would not recommend, but it's definitely better than nothing!

Congrats on the purchase and I hope to see you out on the water some time!

#4 Feb-03-12 2:48PM

Ernie
Administrator

I upgrade my seat, great investment.....

I am not sold on a carbon paddle. My cheapish one gets me a great upper body workout and you are 1/2 as young as me.....

A 3 lb weight tied to a rope did me well for a few years.....

Get leashes.....

And have serrated knife, whistle, a dry bag with some old clothes, small 1st aid kit etc

Welcome to the club!

Time to go fishin' again!

#5 Feb-03-12 3:31PM

T.
Patagonian Toothfish

As far as a paddle I've got $35 aluminum+plastic ones from Dick's that can be disassembled into four pieces.

#6 Feb-05-12 8:36PM

redskinsfan360
Patagonian Toothfish

If you want a carbon one.  I bought one, but then won a 400 dollar one.  I can sell you the old carbon one for wayyyy cheaper...

Last edited by redskinsfan360 (Feb-05-12 8:37PM)

#7 Feb-06-12 4:49AM

hookup
Patagonian Toothfish

I'm interested, what is the old carbon one's length, make, blade?  I'm in Sterling.

rd400d at hotmail dot com

3# dumbell mounted off the bow works for me.  Bad things happen when you mount an anchor off the stern and run a rapid & the anchor comes off.  I'm not a fan of the trolley system in river.  Yet something else to get hung up on if you dump.  Earnie got it by always carrying a knift - and not a folder, because in an emergency, you want something quick.  I have a Gerber Shorty mounted on my pfd.

If you get one of those fancy seats, make sure you measure your yak first & compare it to the size of the seat.  On another board I saw a guy almost buy the wrong seat.

#8 Feb-06-12 5:15AM

CozUF2001
Patagonian Toothfish
Website

Good stuff guys. Appreciate the insights and lessons learned. This will be an iterative process as I balance out these purchases with having no storage. We are moving to our permanent house sometime in early April, but I am sure I can grab a few things in the meantime.

I already have a PFD.

Short term purchases include paddle, dry storage, anchor/anchor system, leashes and extra caribeaners (sp).

I'm thinking a cart is key and appreciate the "big wheel" recommendation.

I'll carry a knife...good call on that one.

Water safety is key, so thanks for the reminders on the little things like a whistle and flat/vertical indicator.

#9 Feb-23-12 5:31AM

Salmo

I have a 70 pound kayak that I throw on my factory luggage roof rack.  The Hoe should at least have one of them?

#10 Feb-24-12 12:48PM

CozUF2001
Patagonian Toothfish
Website

Salmo wrote:

I have a 70 pound kayak that I throw on my factory luggage roof rack.  The Hoe should at least have one of them?

The Tahoe Hybrid doesn't have a luggage roof rack. I will either need an after market or just to shove it in the car...suprisingly doesn't hang out too much.

Board footer