Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Nov-16-11 2:01AM

Bruce
Northern Snakehead

Shoreline Fishing or ???

As a new resident living near Leesburg, VA, I was wondering if all of the fishing experience on this Forum can help me out. I previously lived on the Potomac near Mt. Vernon, owned a bassboat, and fished 12 months a year. When I moved here, I sold the bassboat as I had no place to keep it (HOA issue). Now I own 2 fishing kayaks, warm waders, and a desire to fish now and through the winter. What suggestions would you have regarding places to fish around here? I'm retired so I can go pretty much anywhere/anytime.

Thanks for the help,
Bruce

#2 Nov-16-11 4:25AM

Ernie
Administrator

Re: Shoreline Fishing or ???

There are a lot of folks who fish the 'doah and Upper Potomac for smallies and musky.

Nearby, you have Beaverdam reservoir and the Dickerson Plant warm water area. Not sure about year round fishing though.

Of course, this Forum has the best bank beaters around so if they weigh in, they can lead you to some areas of interest.

Time to go fishin' again!

#3 Nov-16-11 4:54AM

CozUF2001
Patagonian Toothfish
Website

You can wade Goose Creek (access via Riverside Bridge or Kephart Landing in Landsdowne neighborhood) pretty much all the way down to the Potomac. You'll get into Smallies, Largemouth, Crappie, Bluegill, Sunnies, and perhaps a catfish or two. This is also kayak accessible.

There are a number of ponds out there as well and you are best served looking on Google Maps to see what there is to offer. Good luck and tight lines!

If it were easy, they'd call it catching!

#4 Nov-22-11 11:45PM

Charlie NHBA
Northern Snakehead
Website

Bruce:

The upper Potomac River has ideal fishing during the winter and spring season, either from the bank or from a small boat such as a kayak.
The key is to target the waters from White's Ferry north.  If you choose to use your kayak, plan to put in at White's Ferry (on the Maryland side).
Head across the ferry and launch on their ramp.  The warmwater discharge from Dickerson Power Plant normally keeps the ice at bay for a good distance below the plant, including the White's Ferry area.
Once on the water, you have a number of options. The first thing I do is head for the mouth of a small creek on the Virginia side, approximately 150 yards above the ferry. This is Limestone Branch.  Directly in front of the creek mouth, you will see a number of boulders in the water. In between these bolders is a deep hole (20'+). I like to run a crankbait very slowly through the boulders from Northwest to Southeast. Next I will toss in a hair jig and work it slowly across the bottom. Next I will toss in a 1/8th oz. jighead with a smoke metal flake grub and allow it sit on the bottom motionless. Lastly, I will come up next to the boulders and work a Silver Buddy down into the hold. This hole holds BIG smallmouth during the late Fall and Winter.
Moving upstream, I cross to the Maryland shore and follow the bank until I come upon an opening with current rushing out. This is the outflow from the Dickerson Power Plant and the water is warm. The mouth normally holds channel catfish in the 8-15# class. There are also many good smallmouth feeding there, as well as an occaional tiger muskie. I start out with buzzbaits and topwater poppers. Finding no action there, I will switch to 1/8th oz. jigheads with 3-4" grubs. You can almost always pick up 10+ smallmouth on grubs at the outflow.  As I mentioned, channel catfish are only too happy to latch onto grubs as well. The tiger muskies normally opt for the topwater. baits.
After fishing the outflow thoroughly, start back downstream on the Maryland shore, fishing any cover. Keep in mind that there are submerged rocks all along this bank that provide cover for baitfish, The smallmouth are keying on these areas, cruising among the rocks, looking for food. The warmwater influence keeps them on the feed most of the time.
If you decide not to take the boat, take Route 15 north, crossing the river and turn right onto Route 28, Dickerson Road. Follow this road to Martinsburg Road on the right. Turn right and follow the signs to the parking lot. It is a short walk from the parking lot to the warmwater discharge canal. You are permitted to fish from the shore here and the fishing can be great. (It can also stink!). Pick your days and have a ball!

If you should miss fishing on the tidal Potomac River, contact us at: New Horizon Bass Anglers  (NHBAYouthFoundation.org)

Charlie NHBA.........

#5 Nov-23-11 3:18AM

Bruce
Northern Snakehead

Charlie,
Thanks so much for the very thorough set of ideas for Fall/Winter fishing on the Upper Potomac. Now I can't wait for the rain to stop and the water flow to slow down. If I check the water gauge at Point of Rocks on-line, what do you think would be safe levels for winter fishing in that Whites's Ferry area? Again, thanks for sharing....
Bruce
ps. I will check out NHBA as I did love the lower Potomac and already miss it...

#6 Nov-23-11 4:28AM

Ernie
Administrator

Bruce- Charlie used to guide up that way. I think he has a photographic memory because he knows all the nooks and crannies. I (along with several members from this Forum) can vouch for NHBA. It's a great club.

Time to go fishin' again!

#7 Nov-23-11 9:06AM

NOVAhunter
Northern Snakehead

Is Dickerson worth the trip this time of year or is it better to wait till things get really cold.

#8 Nov-23-11 9:31AM

TyF
Northern Snakehead

Wow that just got me so excited to go out this winter! I have never really fished in the winter thinking it wouldnt be good and it was just to cold but I will definitely have to try the upper potomac out. thanks for sharing in all the detail!

Tyler

#9 Nov-23-11 3:55PM

T.
Patagonian Toothfish

Last winter there didn't seem to be much water discharging from the plant.  The temperature wasn't noticeably different either.  The only fish I saw were a few carp and lots (1000s?) of catfish, but none were right at the discharge.  I'll be checking it out again eventually.

Board footer