Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Oct-28-11 3:24AM

ComeOnFish
Northern Snakehead

Pohick Bay Striper and LM - Oct 23 and 25 two short trips

I made two short trips to Pohick Bay after work on October 23 and 25.   I fished for snakehead mainly using top water lures.  It looked fish are more active now.  The water temp was still 65F.  But the air temp fluctuated between 40-68F. 
I caught many LM on frogs, but no snakehead.  I missed a huge snakehead strike in the lily pad area. That snakehead was about 3 foot long. I also saw a big bass (6-7lb) and another snakehead (3' long) struck baits.
It seemed that Bass are very active now in the Fall.  I don’t know much about finesse fishing or walk the dog techniques.  So I mainly use frogs that don’t require practice.  Strike king Rage Toad (Green Pumpkin Pearl Belly)  works well here in here, Pohick Bay.   I also tried chartreuse Pop Frog (by Z Man).  It didn’t work at all. But it landed a 19 inch striper in the middle of the bay right after the sunset
I never expected striper here.  But now I know.
If you live close by Pohick Bay Regional Park, and never fished here, try this place now.  All you need is 5 frogs and 5/0 hooks (unweighted) and a large net for a large snakehead.
I put a lot of efforts to make this video. Capturing a scene of casting, retrieving and setting hook is very difficult when using a regular camera.  I carried/used two batteries for a 2.5 hour trip.

http://www.youtube.com/v/Ryn391rplrc

Thanks,
Joe

Last edited by ComeOnFish (Oct-28-11 3:47AM)

#2 Oct-28-11 4:02AM

Ernie
Administrator

Re: Pohick Bay Striper and LM - Oct 23 and 25 two short trips

Thanks Joe.....well done....will be there Monday.

Time to go fishin' again!

#3 Oct-28-11 10:24AM

kidnikarus
Northern Snakehead

Nice video. Do you wear a wet suit when you kayak fish in the fall?

Nick Mendis
Woodbridge, VA

#4 Oct-28-11 11:48AM

Bryan
Patagonian Toothfish

Really nice report and video! That looks like some fun fishing!

I made a camera mount that attaches to the crate in the back of my kayak. It's nice for taking video because it's completely out of the way, and is very stable. I also have one that fits in the rod holder in front of me.

tight lines

#5 Oct-28-11 12:05PM

ComeOnFish
Northern Snakehead

kidnikarus wrote:

Nice video. Do you wear a wet suit when you kayak fish in the fall?

I wear wetsuit in summer when the wind is strong and raining.  I have many wetsuits for diving in the different water temp.  But not many anglers have the wetsuit. And probably the majority of the kayak angler do not like wearing the wetsuit.  There are advantages and disadvantages on wearing wetsuit.  I dislike dry-suit. So I never going to buy one.

In winter, the most of the kayak anglers who fish very protected water, such as Pohick Bay, Occoquan River wears waders.  Wader is must from now on.  Kayak-anglers started wearing waders since a few weeks ago.  I would wear wader r if I was fishing for a long time last week. 

For you, I suggest buy a cheap wader for about $50-70.  And wear more inside the wader based on Air Temp.   You need to gradually get used to the cold weather.  If I were you, I will bring many extra cloths and  be prepared to take off or wear more. 

All waders leak eventually, but not much.  Because we are sitting on kayaks and rub constantly while kayaking, All waders leak.  But not a problem

Google and find out more about the cold weather/water  gears.  But do not spend money. Just get a cheap wader first.

If you live around chantilly reston area, call me

sorry for the typo and bad grammer.  I am in a hurry

joe

Board footer