Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Aug-28-11 7:20AM

basscrusher
Northern Snakehead

Thoughts on Carolina skiffs?

I'm wondering what people think about Carolina Skiffs vs. welded jonboats for all-purpose small water uses.  Think usage on electric-only/10-hp lakes, smallmouth rivers like the Upper Potomac, and of course in skinny saltwater.  I've fished out of jons in freshwater and skiffs in salt creeks, but not vice-versa.  Thanks!

#2 Aug-28-11 10:52AM

Ernie
Administrator

Re: Thoughts on Carolina skiffs?

I am a huge fan of the DLV model by Carolina skiff but that might be bigger than what you are looking for. The smallest is a 19 footer I think.

It's all about the rocks in my opinion. If you fish near them, go aluminum.

Time to go fishin' again!

#3 Aug-29-11 11:46AM

jumping jasper
Patagonian Toothfish

I agree with Ernie
There are only a few places that you can take a glass boat on the upper potomac.
I have fished out of my aluminum jon boat in salt water "when I had one" and had no problems

smile

#4 Aug-29-11 11:57AM

SteveSquared

I enjoy my 12 foot jon boat out on BDR, Burke Lake, Upper Ppotomac, Fountain Head and other local fishing spots. Jon boats are pretty easy to modify. Here is a good link of jon boat modification projects.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNyg5gvA5b8

#5 Aug-29-11 4:48PM

basscrusher
Northern Snakehead

Here's the irony -- I already have a 14' aluminum jon (riveted, not welded) that I want to sell in order to get one more in line with my fishing style (larger casting deck, welded, storage lockers).  something like the mid-range Grizzlies.  I know I could modify the one I've got, but between that and finding a trailer, I think I'd be better off just buying a package deal sometime down the road.

Last edited by basscrusher (Aug-29-11 4:48PM)

Board footer