Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Aug-07-11 7:33PM

SteveSquared

Electroshocking Beaver Dam

Hey
Does anyone out there know if BDR has been electroshocked? If so when was it last done? Where can someone find the results on fish population, size, etc... maybe a fancy graph or pie chart like the ones from the Ashburn ponds being electroshocked...

Ive heard from a few anglers that BDR is over populated with WP  and it might be effecting the LMB and SMB population. This is all here say so does anyone else have any information supporting or contradicting this statement?

steven

#2 Aug-07-11 7:47PM

T.
Patagonian Toothfish

Re: Electroshocking Beaver Dam

SteveSquared wrote:

Ive heard from a few anglers that BDR is over populated with WP  and it might be effecting the LMB and SMB population. This is all here say so does anyone else have any information supporting or contradicting this statement?

steven

Wouldn't surprise me as far as population.  I can catch those on a whim out there.  But I'm doubtful about them effecting the bass population. They are food for the bass.  Perch can only eat small bass, but largemouths and channel cats can eat some pretty big perch.

http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/fishing/wa … on=reports

#3 Aug-07-11 8:27PM

SteveSquared

Thanks for the information. WP over population could be an issue there but it will only effect the bluegill and crappie population. I wounder if any musky or blue cats have managed to survive and reproduce over the years. The information says the stocking was discontinued due to poor survival and low catch rates. Hopefully they where just poor fisherman so they assumed they have died off lol. Also it sure would be nice if FFX and LC could play nicely and develop a better parking and ramp situation. Some days its packed  due to the swimming activities that go on there.

Last edited by SteveSquared (Aug-07-11 8:29PM)

#4 May-24-16 12:44PM

gonefishing

What we need to do is start dropping Christmas trees in there each year to help create some more underwater structure. I wonder who at Nova Parks we would need to contact to obtain permission to do so?

#5 May-24-16 12:48PM

Ernie
Administrator

Beaverdam Res. is owned by Loudoun Water and managed by NVRPA. It was a touchy situation just getting this far.

I would suggest that you come to the next Stakeholders meeting when they have one. At the last one, Paul Naj, T, and a few others chimed in on suggestions but there were also 100 other people doing so.

UVA is conduction a use study at the moment....

Time to go fishin' again!

#6 May-24-16 2:52PM

gonefishing

I'm definitely interested in attending. Beaverdam is such a nice natural resource with such great potential. Please keep me in the loop about any future meetings.

#7 May-24-16 3:07PM

Ernie
Administrator

gonefishing wrote:

Please keep me in the loop about any future meetings.

They will be posted.....

#8 May-24-16 3:30PM

T.
Patagonian Toothfish

At the meeting I mentioned to John Odenkirk and one of the Loudoun Water guys that fishes that what should be done is getting some better vegetation going since it's so barren.  They both agreed.

That would have to been done once all the work is done and I think it would be best to refill it in stages for the plants to get established at each depth.

#9 May-24-16 4:34PM

Ernie
Administrator

But remember, the res closes down again after this year for dam repairs.

#10 May-24-16 4:43PM

gonefishing

#11 May-24-16 5:40PM

Curly
Patagonian Toothfish

gonefishing wrote:

These guys have the right idea.
http://www.treehugger.com/natural-scien … eople.html

Used to do it in our lakes and ponds...........
http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb119/cokeempire/FISH%20PICS%2010-08%20on/2-12-09a.jpg
http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb119/cokeempire/FISH%20PICS%2010-08%20on/2-13-09b.jpg
http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb119/cokeempire/FISH%20PICS%2010-08%20on/2-13-09d.jpg

Hell or High Water...........I'm Fishin!!   big_smile

Board footer