Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Aug-07-11 7:39AM

TyF
Northern Snakehead

Big Moose Lake NY Family Trip

My family and I all went to Big Moose Lake in the Adirondack Mountains of NY this past week. My family has been going to the same place since 1907. This lake was declared a dead lake in the 70's because of acid rain but has been recovering since. Apparently the recovery is going rather well. Now there are plenty of 2 inch yellow perch, and some rock bass, brook trout, sunfish, LMB, SMB, and Lake trout. We decided to bring the kayaks up and try to fish in the early morning and late afternoons when we weren't doing anything with the family.

We didnt really know where to start since nobody really ever fishes there. The first day we decided to drift in the deeper water and see if we could find some fish. we didnt see a thing so instead of going home empty handed i decided to catch a few perch with a beetle spin to make myself feel better. we did not go out on the second day in the morning but instead to go out with the whole family on a party barge and bring the kayaks along. All 5 people on the party barge got skunked using worms but my dad and i caught bass each using senkos. I caught 2 16 and 17 inchers and my dad caught a 16" and 2 other 12 inchers. Overall a decent day of fishing for us.

We decided not to go out in the morning anymore seeing that we had to be in by 0730 for breakfast and we werent catching many fish.

The last day we were there we had set up camp on the main dock for water skiing wakeboarding and tubing. As i was waiting my turn i saw a 3 pounder cruising around under the dock. I run back to the cabin and get my rod rigged with a wacky worm. I drop it in between some rocks and a bigger 4 pounder comes and takes a nip at it but didnt eat it enough for me to hook it !! yikes just after that the smaller 3 pounder ate it. It put up a decent fight and i got him in.

http://i1232.photobucket.com/albums/ff373/GregF000/110805-BigMoose-TBass_001.jpg

http://i1232.photobucket.com/albums/ff373/GregF000/110805-BigMoose-TBass_002.jpg

After i let the smaller fish go i return to the same spot and catch a 10 inch rock bass.

I see the 4 pounder cruising again and i keep throwing it to him but he gets scared and immediately turns away. I realize this and throw it 5 feet in front of him this time. I see my line move 2 feet to the side and i set the hook. This fish put up an awesome fight on 10 pound test. after about 2 minutes of him taking line i finally get him on the dock. He was 19 inches and 4.5 pounds. Decent fish for a dead lake....
http://i1232.photobucket.com/albums/ff373/GregF000/bigmoose191.jpg

Last edited by TyF (Aug-13-11 5:16PM)

#2 Aug-07-11 8:56AM

Ernie
Administrator

Re: Big Moose Lake NY Family Trip

Outstanding...sounds like a great time. Time to declare the dead lake ALIVE!!

Time to go fishin' again!

Board footer