Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Jun-13-11 5:06PM

TyF
Northern Snakehead

Conventional Reel & Rod Questions

I am looking at buying a conventional rod and reel for flounder, striper, catfish, and other bigger fish in the Chesapeake bay and Potomac. I am looking for something that is good for jigging and trolling but also good for casting for muskie and pike in Canada. This does not have to be anything really expensive. I am looking in the $100-200 range for both. I have seen some combos in this range but if these are not good then I will start looking at buying them separately. The highest i am willing to go is $250 and that is only if there is something incredibly amazing and outstanding in that rod and reel. Any suggestions or info on any brand or type of reel or rod would be great.

I would also like to know what line would suit most of those fish.

Thanks,

Tyler

Last edited by TyF (Jun-13-11 5:20PM)

#2 Jun-13-11 5:27PM

Ernie
Administrator

Re: Conventional Reel & Rod Questions

St. Croix Premier ($100) or Tidemaster ($130), 6'6" MHF

Abu Garcia Revo S ($100) or C4 6600 ($90)

You can always get them used.....

Time to go fishin' again!

#3 Jun-13-11 6:16PM

TyF
Northern Snakehead

Thanks for the help these all look really nice. I will be sure to try and get these as soon as possible and hopefully slay the big fish!! big_smile

#4 Jun-13-11 6:17PM

bigjeffie
Patagonian Toothfish

revo for  $ 100.00?

#5 Jun-13-11 6:29PM

Ernie
Administrator

OK...$110

http://www.tackledirect.com/abu-garcia- … sting-reel

But they can be had used for much less. I have never bought a new one.

#6 Jun-13-11 6:45PM

TyF
Northern Snakehead

Where would the best place to get them used be? Craigslist? Ebay?

#7 Jun-13-11 8:52PM

Redfish12
Northern Snakehead
Website

Another option- bass pro graphite series Muskie rod 7th mh ($35 on sale now) and a shimano cardiff (~85 on eBay) or an abu 6xxx series would work for double duty trolling, live lining, tog, jigging, cats, etc.

I would say go with 30 lb braid for line. I got a 6501 C3 the other day for $50 in brand new condition that someone had opened up and couldn't put it back together. .25 for a C clip and some knowhow and it's good to go! I sold my 6500c3 that had some upgrades done to it for the same price recently bc I have decided I prefer lefties. I just sold a bunch of right hand conventionals actually because I prefer left. Are you right or left retrieve?

I am a kayak guy, so 7ft is ideal for me. If you're on a boat, 6 or 6.5 would probably be better. I like the extra few inches for casting and moving fish from one side to the other. eBay is pretty solid for finding deals, and if you get a well known maker like Abu or Shimano you can fix most issues or have the Rod and Reel take a look for you.

Last edited by Redfish12 (Jun-14-11 5:15AM)

#8 Jun-14-11 4:07AM

bigjeffie
Patagonian Toothfish

Pacemaker wrote:

OK...$110

http://www.tackledirect.com/abu-garcia- … sting-reel

But they can be had used for much less. I have never bought a new one.

i thought you were selling yours- i was on my way over

#9 Jun-14-11 5:25AM

TyF
Northern Snakehead

Redfish12 wrote:

Are you right or left retrieve?

I am a Right retrive

Redfish12 wrote:

I am a kayak guy, so 7ft is ideal for me.

I am also a kayak guy but will also be using it in a boat from time to time.

thanks for all the info i cant seem to find the abu 6xxx series but i am seriously thinking about getting the bass pro musky rod. Are there any disadvantages with the musky rod because that does look a little cheap.

#10 Jun-14-11 5:33AM

jffoley
Northern Snakehead

Check out Bass Pros Tourney Special IM7 graphite rods. I have a 7' matched with a Shimano Cardiff. Very nice for the price...

Cobra Explorer Kayak
Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Co-Founder
www.cbkainc.com

#11 Jun-14-11 5:52AM

Redfish12
Northern Snakehead
Website

TyF wrote:

Redfish12 wrote:

Are you right or left retrieve?

I am a Right retrive

Redfish12 wrote:

I am a kayak guy, so 7ft is ideal for me.

I am also a kayak guy but will also be using it in a boat from time to time.

thanks for all the info i cant seem to find the abu 6xxx series but i am seriously thinking about getting the bass pro musky rod. Are there any disadvantages with the musky rod because that does look a little cheap.

I have found them to be very durable but I did have one snap in half leaving a ship (ComeOnFish can explain that!) but otherwise great stuff. I have them from ul-musky and beat them up thoroughly. The tourney specials are also great for the price! I thought you were looking for something heavy duty, if you want to do double duty check the bps graphites or tourney specials in MH. The musky has a longer handle and is a little stiffer.

As for the reel I mean Abu Garcia 6 thousand series. I like the 6501 which means it is a 6 (line capacity), 5 (button on side plate instead of thumb-bar which is a 6), 01 (lefty). I'm sure the numbers mean more, but that's been my understanding. I said 6 series based on double duty of heavy stuff bc it has more line capacity and a clicker for live bait or trolling. The 5 series hold plenty of line for a rock though, so look for those too. Or the cardiffs! If you're looking more for more of a light tackle jig stick get the 200 or 300 cardiff or the 4500 or 5500 Abu. Live bait/trolling double duty go to the 400 or the 6500 Abu. I'm going to try to make the 4th float at Ashburn. I can bring some different stuff (i'm sure others can too) that you can try casting before you buy something.

Now that I think about it, I have a new in the wrapper 6.5 MH bass pro graphite series rod with an Abu 4600 (thumbar) that I was going to trade a guy for a rod. I do not really neeed the rod and the guy has been extra hard to meet up with so if you want to try it out let me know!

Last edited by Redfish12 (Jun-14-11 6:24AM)

#12 Jun-14-11 6:16AM

Ernie
Administrator

I am a huge fan of the Abu round reels (the ones that Redfish12 describes). I like the C4 and C3 series. They cast well and they are fighters! I use the C4 down in FL for drift fishing the reefs. Everyone else has the more expensive reels (2 speed Shimanos etc.). I also use a lighter stick than they do. NO problems bringing up any of the species we catch!

#13 Jun-14-11 9:55AM

TyF
Northern Snakehead

I would be very interested in trying those out. i am not sure if i will be able to attend the 4th of july float but if i can i will definitely do it. were is it? thanks for all the info.

#14 Jun-14-11 10:12AM

Ernie
Administrator

You can test some of this arsenal at my house......I can show you the Abu line (95% of my baitcasters).

The 4th Float will be at Algonkina or Kephard....TBD.

#15 Jun-14-11 11:26AM

TyF
Northern Snakehead

I would love to see those but i am just not sure if i can make it. I will tell you if i can and ask for more information. thanks

#16 Jun-27-11 8:22AM

NOVAhunter
Northern Snakehead

I was looking at getting one of those bass pro muskie rods and notice they are now 19.99!!

http://www.basspro.com/Bass-Pro-Shops-G … 5/-1435519

sorry redfish, I fat fingered the keyboard on that one. I confused myself.

Last edited by NOVAhunter (Jun-27-11 10:27AM)

#17 Jun-27-11 8:33AM

Redfish12
Northern Snakehead
Website

? Yea... they are $19.97... I just picked up a 7ft'r yesterday when I was at the Richmond BPS. I called the Baltimore store and they said I couldn't pick up there. I called the Richmond store and they said they would order some. If you ask someone they will tell you they don't sell musky rods and then try to sell you a shimano compre rod (which is a nice rod but much more $$). If you go to the back section near the fly shop you'll find the graphite series. They had 3 or 4 of each of the musky rods when I was there yesterday plus the others in the series which are also a great value at $20 bucks!

(edit, you said not instead of now... I was confused!)

Last edited by Redfish12 (Jun-27-11 9:32AM)

Board footer