Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 May-10-11 6:13AM

Charlie NHBA
Northern Snakehead
Website

John Odenkirk to speak at NHBA Meeting.......

John Odenkirk, VDGIF Fisheries Biologist Extraordinaire and star of "Hooked - Lake Monsters" TV show, will be speaking at the regular monthly meeting of New Horizon Bass Anglers on Thursday evening, May 12th at 7 p.m. The meeting will take place at Brion's Fairfax Grille, 10621 Braddock Road, Fairfax, Va. (Across from the Patriot Center). The public is invited to attend at no charge.

Charlie NHBA.........

#2 May-10-11 7:35AM

Curly
Patagonian Toothfish

Re: John Odenkirk to speak at NHBA Meeting.......

What will he be talking about?

Hell or High Water...........I'm Fishin!!   big_smile

#3 May-12-11 1:30AM

Charlie NHBA
Northern Snakehead
Website

I am quite sure that he will be covering Snakeheads, the state of the Potomac River and other NOVA waters, as well as Nile Perch fishing in Egypt. We were told to have questions ready for him.  Knowing John, he will be there as long as we will stay, answering questions.

Charlie NHBA.........

#4 May-12-11 4:07AM

Curly
Patagonian Toothfish

Yeah, he will tell everything he knows.  I spent an entire day with him last week, here at the lakes.  I learned so much.

Hell or High Water...........I'm Fishin!!   big_smile

#5 May-12-11 11:31PM

Charlie NHBA
Northern Snakehead
Website

John just outdid himself.  He covered biomass density in all the lakes in Northern Virgina, including details that only a fisheries biologist and fisherman would know. Quite a bit of great knowledge for anglers gained here. He then went on to discuss the tidal rivers in Nova. Next, he covered Lake Nasser in Egypt and the Nile Perch and Tiger Fish that he caught there. Things that did not show up on the TV show.  Incidentally, the show "Hooked - Lake Monsters" reairs at 8 p.m. on Friday evening on the NatGeo Channel. Lastly, he covered snakeheads.....where to find them, how to catch them, the fact that birds (Eagles, Ospreys, etc.) are having a field day on them.  Since they stay in shallow water and normally in vegetation where the water is clear, they are easy to spot from the air. Most significant was the fact that 80+% of their diet is the simple Banded Killifish. The main reason for this is the fact that Snakeheads engulf their prey from the tail first. Thus, they opt for soft-rayed fish as prey. If they fed on white perch, the stiff fins would injure their mouths and perhaps get jammed in their throats. They also eat frogs. Very seldom is a bass found in a snakehead stomach.

If you were not at the meeting, you missed a great speaker and a lot of useful information.

Charlie NHBA.........

#6 May-13-11 5:27PM

Ernie
Administrator

I wish I could have made it.....

Time to go fishin' again!

Board footer