Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Apr-08-11 4:20PM

GregF
Northern Snakehead

Finally!

Tyler and I got out last night (Thursday) around dusk to fish a few of the local ponds.  For once I actually caught more than my son!!  FINALLY!  I swear he thinks like a fish.  We fished the pond on Claiborne near rt 7 for a while.  I seems like it should have some great fish in it.  I caught a 1.5lb LMB and a decent 8-10 inch Crappie on a white/red spinnerbait near the rocky inlet by the fence.  Then we went to another pond on Claiborne an I caught 3 ranging from a little baby to a 2lber.  Tyler caught 2 but he got the biggest at about 3lbs.  They were mostly tight up to the shoreline.  I caught 2 of them on that same spinnerbait and 1 on a Ragetail Crawfish.  We are planning on going out to either Burke Lake or Beaver Dam Reservoir on the Yaks on Sunday.  Any suggestions for either lake?  Which one to try?  Where to fish?  Lures?  I have never fished Burke Lake before and haven't fished Beaver Dam more than once or twice.

#2 Apr-09-11 4:10AM

Ernie
Administrator

Re: Finally!

Greg- my choice would be Beaverdam......go left if you put in at Mt. Hope.  Hopefully, some of the other guys will weigh in. Paul is in Aruba chillin' so he may not see this.

Time to go fishin' again!

#3 Apr-09-11 4:56AM

NOVAhunter
Northern Snakehead

the fish in burke lake have seen every lure there is a minimum of 4x.  Hit beaverdam.

#4 Apr-09-11 8:19AM

GregF
Northern Snakehead

I have heard that about Burke Lake.  Beaverdam it is.  Went out on the yak there a few weeks ago after work and the fish were jumping.  I only got 1 but it showed promise.  Lures?

#5 Apr-10-11 6:39PM

GregF
Northern Snakehead

So, we went to Beaverdam this afternoon.  Tyler caught a 4lb LMB and I caught a 3lb LMB both on spinnerbaits in the same bay to the left of the church (as suggested).  That was Tyler's first fish from a Kayak.  We only fished from 6-7 so we didn't have much time.  It was also the inaugural voyage of the new fishfinder on my Kayak.  Worked great!  Nice to have a clue about where I am on the lake.  I got a Cuda 250 S/Map for $80.  I need a waterproof camera to take pix on the Kayak.  Until then, you will have to use your imagination.

#6 Apr-11-11 8:33AM

Paul Naj
Northern Snakehead

Pacemaker wrote:

Greg- my choice would be Beaverdam......go left if you put in at Mt. Hope.  Hopefully, some of the other guys will weigh in. Paul is in Aruba chillin' so he may not see this.

Sitting on the beach under a cabana with my iPad. Life is good. smile

It's time to hit all of the coves on the reservoir. Don't just hit the bank and visible structure. Take the time to throw crank baits and and jigs/creature baits at the ledges and rocks just off the bank. They are generally right around where you would position the yak to cast to the bank.

http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk211/pnajdzin/photo.jpg

Last edited by Paul Naj (Apr-11-11 8:47AM)

#7 Apr-11-11 9:22AM

AndrewDo124
Patagonian Toothfish

speaking of which, Paul, I thought you said we were all getting out in april?

#8 Apr-11-11 10:23AM

GregF
Northern Snakehead

I think  I saw the structure your talking about on the new fishfinder.  Marked a few fish.  This is the first year with a boat and fishfinder.  I am so used to fishing bank structure from the shore that I don't even think about midlake ledges and humps yet.  Thanks for the suggestion.  I will definitely work the ledges next outing.  It will be really interesting to explore all that new fishing territory.

Around 7pm last night sitting in a calm little cove watching the sun set with my son and I fishing in our kayaks was everything I was hoping for when I bought them.  Cant wait to get back out there!

Board footer