Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Feb-06-11 7:13AM

Salmo

Shore report

Just so I'm not considered too much of a lurker I'm posting a report.  I went and checked out a few warm water discharges in the city the other day from shore.,  The first one, up a creek, decent walk to get to.  Usually a good spot or so I've heard.  I've only ever caught small fish there.  It was friday around 11am.  I had a few takes on jerk baits but nothing on tubes or spinner baits.  The fish that hit my 5 inch jerk bait were small.  I also had a fish hooked breifly on a 3 inch storm shad but again, small.  I figured this could be a decent spot but I'm not too sure.  THe tides were outgoing, should have been good.  Then on to Alexandria.  Water was very low.  Some birds were working near the shoreline. I thought about climbing down and chasing them but continued my walk to the discharge.  Nothing there on a variety of baits.  Then saw birds working closer to me.  I even saw a sea gull drop a good size bait fish. USually whe you see that the schoolie stripers are on the prowl and yes it can happen in mid winter.  But I've never seen it happen like that in DC in the winter but in Baltimore yes.  THen accross the river, a short ways down from blue plains, there were at least a dozen or more birds working the point.  No idea what was there.  Two boats were in the outfall but not on the point.  Oh well.  I reported, no fish for me. 

I'm the type of fishermen that fishes probably 150 days a year.  I fish DC in April almost every day but not too sure how the winter bite is.  It should be decent, there's more than enough warm water influences.  Oh well, off day for me I guess.

#2 Feb-06-11 8:05AM

Curly
Patagonian Toothfish

Re: Shore report

Nice report...........Curly

Hell or High Water...........I'm Fishin!!   big_smile

#3 Feb-06-11 8:36AM

Ernie
Administrator

Thanks Jon.....you covered some water during a tough time. I wonder if the gizzard shad get up on the water column?

Time to go fishin' again!

#4 Feb-07-11 8:46AM

Salmo

I am almost certain the fish I saw the gull drop was a gizzard shad about 4 inches long.  But that was the only one but I saw a lot more diving and fighting between the birds that something had to be going on.  The question is, were predators pushing them to the surface from below.  Who knows but it was pretty shallow where I was seeing the birds dive the other day.

Board footer