Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Feb-02-11 11:59AM

Ernie
Administrator

Chesapeake Bay poachers

Didn't want to confuse this with the NC debacle.....

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co … 05531.html

Time to go fishin' again!

#2 Feb-03-11 12:49PM

NOVAhunter
Northern Snakehead

Re: Chesapeake Bay poachers

You beat me to posting this one. I just saw it on WTOP.  I do wish that the reporters would start calling these guys what they are. POACHERS!! They are not watermen, they are not fishermen, they are low down, dirty, yellow bellied POACHERS. I've had more than my fill of these guys over the last year between hunting and fishing seasons. If you get a chance, check out Wild Justice on the national geographic channel.  It will really make you appreciate what the CPO's go through out enforcing all laws, not just game and fish.

#3 Feb-03-11 2:07PM

Curly
Patagonian Toothfish

Sounds like the DNR good guys are placing tracking devices on the "suspected" bad guys boats! big_smile big_smile big_smile

From WBOC.........

ANNAPOLIS, Md.- Several watermen in Dorchester County say they have many questions, but no answers after devices were found under the stern of their boats.

Dean Price, a waterman at Madison Bay Marina, said that on Jan. 14 he found a bracket hidden on his boat. Attached to that bracket were two devices, including one with an antenna.

"I've never seen anything like it," Price said.

Price then called 911, not knowing if the device was a bomb. According to reports, Maryland State Police and the Dorchester County Sheriff's Office arrived on the scene. Maryland Natural Resources Police Sgt. Randy Bowman also arrived on the scene. People who were on the scene tell WBOC that Bowman then told police they could leave the scene.

A bomb technician was brought in and the device was removed and turned over to the Department of Natural Resources.

Several other watermen reported finding brackets on their boat as well, but no devices were attached. Watermen say they want to know who put the devices on their boats and why.

"I've gotten nowhere with the Department of Natural Resources, from anyone. I don't have any answers," Price said.

WBOC contacted DNR for comment on the matter and was referred to Natural Resources Police Sgt. Art Windemuth, who said, "This is an ongoing investigation and we do not comment on ongoing investigations."

Hell or High Water...........I'm Fishin!!   big_smile

#4 Feb-04-11 10:12AM

Ernie
Administrator

This is AWESOME...MD took immediate action....I will be sending a check to CCA MD!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gill net closure announced!

February 4, 2011- Maryland’s Department of Natural Resources (DNR) just announced that the current commercial gill net season has been closed until the Department determines the extent of illegal nets and their impact on the remaining quota.  The announcement follows the discovery of submerged nets near Bloody Point over the past several days that held more than 10 tons of striped bass.

The announcement was made by DNR Deputy Secretary Joseph Gill at an Annapolis news conference this afternoon.

“Today’s announcement demonstrates that illegal fishing that steals the resource from all Marylanders will not be tolerated,” said CCA Maryland Executive Director Tony Friedrich. “The Department, Secretary Griffin and Fisheries Director Tom O’Connell are to be congratulated for their swift, decisive action. Also, the Natural Resources Police should be commended for their hard work. We look forward to working with the Department and other stakeholders to ensure the penalties for these types of crimes are strengthened and those responsible are held fully accountable.”

While the gill net season would normally close at the end of this month or earlier if the allocation were reached, today’s announcement means all nets must be pulled now. The season could be re-opened later in the month if DNR determines that illegal nets nets are no longer a threat to the resource and that the commercial quota has not been caught, according to Friedrich.

Gill also announced a $5,000 reward for help in the arrest and conviction of those who have placed the illegal nets already discovered. CCA Maryland has added $1,000 to that reward.

“We encourage members to contribute to a fund that will support the reward,” Friedrich said. “Checks should be made out to ‘CCA MD’ with ‘gill net fund’ indicated on the check. They should be mailed to the state office, 701 Melvin Ave., Suite B, Annapolis, MD 21401.

A video from the news conference will be available at our home page at soon as possible.

#5 Feb-04-11 12:40PM

NOVAhunter
Northern Snakehead

5K reward should help a bit. Those watermen are in a pretty tight community, you have a few poachers take away the lively hood for everyone because of the actions of a few and someone might pass on a few clues as to is missing 900 yards of nets all of a sudden.

#6 Feb-04-11 12:46PM

Curly
Patagonian Toothfish

Mark my word.  The gill net season will be reopened in a couple of weeks because only a little over half the quota of around 250,000 pounds has been reached so far (including seized fish).  Politicians will pressure for the re-opening of the season................I'd wait a couple of weeks before you send in that check tongue .

#7 Feb-04-11 1:09PM

Ernie
Administrator

Curly- I do not share your word on this one. I will disagree....this is not NC! The check is in the mail!!

They may reopen it but it will be limited. This is now wide open (media) for everyone to see. It was right accross the bay from the state capitol....not like VA or NC!

MD CCA is all over it. The guy that is quoted (Tony Friedrich) is a good friend of mine....from Jersey, ex HS wrestler, he is like a bad cold....will never go away. Come to TieFest and you will get an earful!

#8 Feb-04-11 1:19PM

Curly
Patagonian Toothfish

Sounds like a dinner bet! smile .......guess time will tell if they fill out the 250,000 pounds total allotment.

#9 Feb-04-11 1:27PM

Ernie
Administrator

Curly wrote:

Sounds like a dinner bet!

Nope....my bet $$ went to CCA MD!!

#10 Feb-04-11 1:50PM

Curly
Patagonian Toothfish

Pacemaker wrote:

Curly wrote:

Sounds like a dinner bet!

Nope....my bet $$ went to CCA MD!!

Don't get riled up! lol

I'll buy your dinner if it is closed until next season.........anyway...... big_smile  I'm thinking Greek food smile .

#11 Feb-04-11 2:09PM

Ernie
Administrator

#12 Feb-05-11 7:52AM

Osprey
Patagonian Toothfish
Website

Curly wrote:

Sounds like the DNR good guys are placing tracking devices on the "suspected" bad guys boats! big_smile big_smile big_smile

From WBOC.........

ANNAPOLIS, Md.- Several watermen in Dorchester County say they have many questions, but no answers after devices were found under the stern of their boats.

DNR owned up to it....
http://www.wboc.com/Global/story.asp?S=13972588

20' Key West..16' C-Hawk...Hobie Pro Angler...Hobie Outback

#13 Feb-05-11 9:48AM

jumping jasper
Patagonian Toothfish

If I read that right. They were putting them on repeat offenders boats.
There should be a law making that Mandatory.

smile

#14 Feb-08-11 5:00PM

Ernie
Administrator

It continues....

AP, 2/8/11

ANNAPOLIS, Md. (AP) — Maryland wildlife officials say they have confiscated another 1,100 pounds of striped bass from illegal gill nets found in the Chesapeake Bay.

Last week, Natural Resources Police pulled more than 10 tons of striped bass from four gill nets near Bloody Point Light, south of Kent Island.

Monday's seizure involves 1,159 pounds from 1,200 yards of illegally anchored gill net at the mouth of Eastern Bay, a mile south of where the Bloody Point gill nets were found. Officers also found 600 yards of illegally anchored gill net near Poplar Island that contained about 300 dead horseshoe crabs and a few live striped bass, which were released.

State officials shut down Maryland's striped bass gill net season for February following last week's seizure

#15 Feb-08-11 5:00PM

Ernie
Administrator

jumping jasper wrote:

Agreed........

#16 Feb-08-11 5:03PM

Curly
Patagonian Toothfish

Pacemaker wrote:

jumping jasper wrote:

Agreed........

They should be allowed to put 10 pounds of C4 on repeat offender boats with a FDR detonator.

FDR=Failure to Do Right big_smile

Last edited by Curly (Feb-08-11 5:13PM)

#17 Feb-12-11 5:56PM

Ernie
Administrator

Candus Thomson, The Baltimore Sun reports:

Natural Resources Police found two more illegal nets off Kent Island on Friday, filled with nearly two tons of striped bass.

Officers worked until midnight to pull the submerged nets from the Chesapeake Bay and count the fish. One net was about a mile south of Bloody Point, where more than 10 tons of fish have been confiscated. The other net was about 21/2 miles inside Eastern Bay.

The 3,879 pounds of fish and more than a mile of nets both appeared to be fresh, indicating that poachers are continuing to net despite increased patrols and public awareness.

Meanwhile on Friday, NRP officers served search warrants at a Tilghman Island home and removed boxes and a laptop computer.
Available now -- get the new Baltimore Sun Android app!

The warrants, which are "part of the ongoing investigation into rockfish poaching," have been sealed by court order, according to NRP Sgt. Art Windemuth.

Windemuth said officers are continuing to receive "very good" tips from NRP's poacher hot line (800-635-6124).

Maryland officials are under increasing pressure from regional regulators who set the annual striped bass quota for Eastern Seaboard states to show they have control of the situation and will prevent overfishing. The Atlantic States Marine Fisheries Commission meets next month in Northern Virginia and is sure to discuss the matter.

Department of Natural Resources officials closed the commercial gill net season three weeks early to ensure that the state does not exceed the quota, but conservation and recreational angling groups are urging the state to consider tougher measures to protect the striped bass population and keep pressure on watermen to turn in the poachers.

The reward for information leading to the arrest and conviction of the poachers doubled yesterday, when the nonprofit group Chesapeake BaySavers added $10,000 to the total.

But Dorchester County watermen say the NRP has overstepped its authority by placing a tracking device on one of their boats and brackets on a half-dozen others. That prompted the county legislative delegation to complain to DNR Secretary John Griffin.

While declining to discuss the investigation, Griffin and NRP Col. George Johnson insist that laws were followed and court orders were obtained where necessary.

Patrol boats continue to drag the waters around Kent Island and the Chester and Choptank rivers with grappling hooks. Officers also are grappling off Calvert Cliffs.

#18 Feb-13-11 7:10PM

T.
Patagonian Toothfish

It looks like Fox5 news is about to air a story about this.

#19 Feb-22-11 4:17PM

Ernie
Administrator

Maryland’s Department of Natural Resources (DNR) moments ago announced that the 2011 commercial gill net season will be re-opened for two days, Friday, Feb. 25, and Monday, Feb. 28. The Department indicated opening the season for only two days would not threaten the fishing mortality rate nor would it risk the harvest going over the quota.

DNR had closed the season early in February after illegal nets were found in several locations resulting in the harvest of more than 10 tons of striped bass. Additional illegal nets and striped bass have been discovered since that announcement with the latest being Wednesday.

The Natural Resources Police will saturate waters on that Friday and Monday to check on compliance with the law, and DNR staff will monitor check-in stations where the striped bass are brought to the commercial market.

The Department also stated that recent events have shown there are issues that must be resolved in the gill net fishery and invited stakeholder groups, including the commercial industry, to develop reforms that would improve accountability.

“Naturally with the recent record of illegal activities in the gill net fishery we would have preferred that the season remained closed,” said CCA Maryland Executive Director Tony Friedrich. “However, the steps that both DNR and NRP are taking to enforce the law, reform the practice and protect the resource are positive. CCA MD looks forward to the process of reform, and will be watching closely to see whether future gill net fishing can be conducted in accordance with the law.”

Earlier this month CCA MD put forth a motion at the Sport Fish Advisory Commission meeting which was approved unanimously by the commissioners.  The motion stated that the season should remain closed until the Department is able to conclusively demonstrate:
•    that illegal gill net fishing is under control,
•    that the fishery can be effectively managed, and
•    that the fishery’s catch can be fully accounted for.

“The Department has looked closely at the concerns of the Sport Fish Advisory Commission, and we appreciate the consideration of the requests of these important stakeholders,” Friedrich said.

#20 Feb-23-11 4:47AM

CozUF2001
Patagonian Toothfish
Website

Cautiously optimistic that the DNR folks will be able to shake hands with the legal guys and cuff hands of the illegal guys.

If it were easy, they'd call it catching!

#21 Feb-23-11 8:26AM

Ernie
Administrator

At least there is focus and movement. No way will it change overnight but with pressure, it might.

#22 May-04-11 4:18PM

T.
Patagonian Toothfish

#23 May-11-11 12:28PM

NOVAhunter
Northern Snakehead

I saw this today on tidalfish.com

More bad news on the net problem that Maryland has been plagued when a gill net was snagged by fellow Tidal Fisher CJacobs2 while fishing this past weekend. He reported it to MD DNR (you an get his first hand account of the story on the Maryland Fishing Forum here). The gill net was so full of fish that MD DNR could not pull it up with their boat and had to get the icebreaker M/V A.V. Sandusky to help. After a two day effort they pulled up approximately 1,400 yards of illegal gill nets loaded with about three tons (yes you read that right,3 tons, 6,000 pounds) of rotting striped bass. Defendants of the net fishery will try to sway the opinion Illegal Gill Nets Maryland Chesapeake Bay that that gill nets are very clean and only catch the targeted size and species of fish. The only problem with these statements is that a sturgeon was found in this recent net and and an earlier illegal net contained sea ducks. Both sturgeon and sea ducks are federally protected which introduces a whole other issue that needs consideration. To date over 16 tons (32,000 pounds) of striped bass have been seized from illegal nets since February. How much is all this clean up costing and who is paying for it? Certainly the license fees from commercial net fishing participants is not covering the cost. If the fishery can not pay for the enforcement and clean up of illegal activities like this then it's time to end net fishing in Maryland. The evidence for ending the use of large scale nets in Maryland is pretty compelling when you look at all the illegal activity happening in these net fisheries over the years as well as when you look at the states along the coast that have ban nets and how their fishing has greatly improved. Anyone been to Florida lately and checked out the type of fishing it has to offer? If you think you snagged a net or spot illegal fishing activity call the catch a poacher hot line 1-800-635-6124. Program it in your phone so you have it ready to go. (photo is courtesy of CCA MD. If you would like to see more pictures of the net that was found and read more you can check out the MD CCA website here.)

Last edited by NOVAhunter (May-11-11 12:29PM)

#24 May-11-11 12:40PM

Ernie
Administrator

Thanks for posting......

32,000 pounds of stripers is a lot of fish.

Tony Friedrich, the MD CCA Exec. Dir. is taking this head on. He is a tough No. Jersey guy (heck of a fly fisherman) and will not let up.

#25 May-11-11 12:47PM

NOVAhunter
Northern Snakehead

In better news, I found this article on sturgeon returning to the James to spawn while looking up more on the gill netters...

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/news/stat … r-1015028/

I hope they make a comeback. I would love to catch one someday.

Board footer