Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Jan-27-11 5:51PM

Curly
Patagonian Toothfish

2010 expendatures on the lakes

Over $143,000 last year.  $0 on stocking of anything.  Poachers must be stopped!  There will be some minor changes this year.

Hell or High Water...........I'm Fishin!!   big_smile

#2 Jan-27-11 6:03PM

Ernie
Administrator

Re: 2010 expendatures on the lakes

The committee was derailed the last 2 years........it's back and our board rep is good!

Once we get Odenkirk to give us his after shocking opinion, we may want to consider C & R again.

But what about my cousins who fish the southwest side of Lake Ashburn....they come in from Ashburn Rd. and no one can get to them.

Time to go fishin' again!

#3 Mar-25-11 8:49PM

bigjeffie
Patagonian Toothfish

i have seen a deputy walk ashburn more than once, and send people on their way, particularly in that area.

i cant see how poachers can fish well enough to catch the big ones

certainly now & then a fluke, but most look pretty clueless to me

springtime & spawning is vulnerable, obviously

u guys say odenkirk is going to electroshock again?

i liked the idea of seeding shiners & crayfish

how about seeding lilly pads, or planting more cover
in water out of reach of shore?

anyway to get beneficial grasses growing in the waters again?

i noticed the groundskeepers have really hammered shoreline vegetation
does pruning out cattail stalks harm ecology?
whatever the weed is that grows off of shore & over the water a bit, looks kind of like an ivy, that was removed en masse from the rip rap on ashburn

i can see keeping it down a little, but the guys come through and scalp that bank. i see them reach over the water and knock down everthing w/ the weed whacker.
that bank has become unnatural. It would be nice to have something growing on it besides erosion

are the waters fertile enough to support a larger fish population?

Last edited by bigjeffie (Mar-25-11 9:13PM)

#4 Mar-26-11 4:22AM

Ernie
Administrator

They scalp the bank once a year...I always vote against that and lose. The residents like it....they don't like wild. The golf course look is what they like. They do NOT like cattails!!

The Lily pads in Cedar were put there by a neighbor. The ones in Heron washes in or were brought in from the pond at the SW corner of 7 and AV Blvd.

I got Odenkirk last time, Curly is doing it this time. maybe he can update.

Poaches use worms, live bait etc and do catch fish. I have seen the contents of the buckets.

Not sure about grass in the water....don't know how that would start.

Man....you ask a lot of question...but this was a very good post!!

#5 Mar-26-11 1:51PM

bigjeffie
Patagonian Toothfish

there are a fair number of pads on pavilion as well.

i see ( i think ) buffer areas on golf courses these days, like on tv tournaments

i have a friend who scalps the banks of his pond. they keep falling in, year after year

i am anxious to see the survey results

i would never tamper with the grounds, but i think pads could be beneficial -.in the upper end of ashburn particularly-
ponds with pads dont seem to have insane algae growth, plus less sophisticated fishermen will have more trouble getting to the fish. i speculate also that the photosynthesis process would add nutrients, as well as insect life.

it seems like the sport fishing is low or off the radar for most av residents. i suspect the HOA dues arent very popular either. a fundraising or awareness campaign devoted specifically to habitat enhancement might ring positive with some residents.
  i speculate that water fertilty and food supply may be playing a role in the issues, as well as some of the parasite problems curly has looked at

#6 Mar-28-11 1:28PM

NOVAhunter
Northern Snakehead

I wondered about AV planting native eel grass or coon tail (stay away from the non-natives), those pads on Heron are getting to the point where that pond is almost lily pad soup.  Somebody or something has planted a ton of water iris in/along ashburn. Grasses will help take up the excess nitrogen that runs in from the lawns and contributes to the algae blooms every summer. I think curly posted a link last year to the benefits of grasses making the water up to 10 degrees cooler where grasses can shade out the sun light.

With respect to the poachers, yeah they get lucky plus they seem to dedicate hours to sitting there on their buckets to fill them. I don't think it that they are taking large numbers of large ones as it is they are taking large numbers of the 1lbrs that really knocks out the breeding stock for 2 years from now. Plus the ones that take out a 5 gallon drywall bucket full of bluegills really do a number on the forage fish in the lakes. I'm really sick of poachers, I don't see why they can't/won't follow the rules like the rest of us.

Last edited by NOVAhunter (Mar-28-11 1:31PM)

#7 Mar-29-11 7:09AM

YAKDAWG

I personally would like to see more signs pounded into the ground around the ponds stating "catch and release only violators will be prosecuted" I think that would help deter the poaching. I've caught several people at ashburn at the deck/dock with fish in a cooler. I've approached them and told them to release the fish that it's catch and release only and I could get the hoa manager down there if they needed proof. We all need to keep a eye out and police the ponds ourselves.

#8 Mar-29-11 7:42AM

Ernie
Administrator

YAKDAWG wrote:

I personally would like to see more signs pounded into the ground around the ponds stating "catch and release only violators will be prosecuted" I think that would help deter the poaching.

Totally agree, I will put on agenda for next meeting. Signs need to be in Spanish too....and that's coming from a Cuban guy.

YAKDAWG wrote:

We all need to keep a eye out and police the ponds ourselves.

Also agree but this is the tough part....

#9 Mar-29-11 11:21AM

bart2puck
Northern Snakehead

seems a little coincidental that ashburn pond is having the most troubles, and of the ponds, is probably most isolated, as far as closeness to people walking/townhouses...

Board footer