Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Jan-07-11 5:07PM

Ernie
Administrator

The "animal" writes about Fletcher’s and up to the fall line!

Mike Bailey (aka 'animal") posted this incredibly great information on the PRFR board. This is the best you can get when it comes to the Potomac River (Fletcher's) in the spring.

A little known fact: it was Carl Johnson who 1st took him down to the fish the river. Carl then sold Mike his 1st boat and the rest is history!

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Watch the temp gauge at Little Falls when the water is 45 degrees and or usually on the back side of a freshet. That’s when the  walleye will hit most anything white at Big Eddy.  They are usually in the big range and spawning. Like snagging a big stick with fins.  Very tasty.

Gizzard shad are next along with the ever present catfish.  Double yuck.

Next up are the Hickory Shad.  What has been said about water temperature is accurate within 2 or 3 degrees depending on the flow. Hicks have been caught with the water temp in the 40’s during snow storms.  The pilot shad are scattered and usually precede the main part of the run by one or two weeks. The key when the water is cold is a slow retrieve. VERY SLOW The first fish are cold and do not move as fast as the main body.  The main spawning schools are usually the largest of the hicks with prime time starting towards the end of March. Big row hicks are often confused for ASHAD as are gizzard.

As the days grow longer next up are the herring with the striped bass. The latter of which are good sized but low in numbers.  If you want to target these from shore your best bet is north of Chain Bridge.

Bank fishing for shad is as or is more productive than out of a boat during the start of the run. This has been consistent each year since I’ve been fishing. That’s over 30 years.  Gordon’s Rock, The Point and The Chute are accessible spots that produce from shore.  I bet Dan can vouch for that as he can reach across the river with that spey rod. Of course most anywhere on the DC side of Chain Bridge is good. While it may be crowded it is well worth the wait either side of high tide. Low tide is a good time for something hot to drink.

The American Shad usually start to filter in the first week of April. Again the rule is slow. No matter what you are casting.  They are almost always deeper and move slower than the hicks.  I’ve seen more hook up on a set line than casting to retrieve or strip and on more than one occasion.  The ASHAD seem to like the smaller fly or dart. Very small. Fly rodders try stripping with the wrist instead of your elbow.  SLOW!

The key to ASHAD success is presenting your lure in the correct spot for an extended period of time. That time does not include reeling, casting, tying, driving, walking ETC. If its not in the water it’s not catching. The old timers (yes older than me) fish set lines.  At least three rods lying in the boat with lines out and darts near the bottom occasionally flicking or jerking the line.  No retrieve at all. Just a dart or fly within a foot of the bottom. The rod, reel, line and so on don’t matter to the shad.  You can catch them with a stick if you keep your presentation in the zone.

If you are unaware boats are not rented at Fletcher’s when the gauge at Little Falls is 4.9 or higher unless the river is falling.  Call ahead.

Ray Fletcher (5th generation) opens each weekday morning and does so earlier than the posted hours during  the week and at the peak of the run.  Danny Ward (Shad expert) usually follow ups midday and closes during the week.  Alex Binsted closes some during the week and opens on the weekend. (Alex knows his flies!)  This bunch also knows why you are there.  If you get there early set your stuff in a boat and wait. Early is good. Don’t be shy.  Ask questions.

All of you know Paula the dock lady.  If you don’t I’m sure you’ve at least heard her as her voice travels well over the water. She gets there early on Friday and the weekends to open the dock. Listening to her and nodding will score points.  Asking her for advice will score more.  Something in her tip bucket will imprint like a returning shad and offer the donor certain privileges.  Don’t be shy.  Tell her you expect something in return.  It’s like paying dues. Otherwise get in line and make sure your anchor is big enough before you leave the dock.

If you rent a boat in the morning and then leave to go to work keep your rental ticket.  You have the right to return later and finish the day rental.

As for big stripers on a fly. Whew!  You’ll  spend a great deal of time just getting the opportunity.  If you must your best bet would be to get upstream of someone using bait in a boat and in the early
morning. Cloudy sky is better.  The VA side is best.  Quite frankly you're wasting time.  No fly can replace the action or smell of a swimming, dying, dead, stinking piece of bait in a bait rich
environment with fewer predators.  And all along some big ASHAD are swimming right by. Oh!  Watch the cormorants. They eat  the same fish the striper's  do.

Every spot fished there has a name that goes back several generations.  We tried to list them on shadfishing.com  Zoom down to the Potomac of course. Mouse over and wait for the pop ups.  Any
questions don’t be shy.  I’ve got no secret worth keeping and enjoy hearing folks giggle when they hook up.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

This is priceless, no better post can be made.........   smile

Time to go fishin' again!

#2 Mar-05-12 4:27PM

Ernie
Administrator

Re: The "animal" writes about Fletcher’s and up to the fall line!

Pacemaker wrote:

Until this!

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=215 … 6,0.039783

Great info and it will be updated regularly!

Time to go fishin' again!

#3 Mar-05-12 5:02PM

T.
Patagonian Toothfish

Pacemaker wrote:

Pacemaker wrote:

Until this!

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=215 … 6,0.039783

Great info and it will be updated regularly!

Bookmarked.  I hope the river stays low, I'm looking forward to getting out there more than once this year.

#4 Mar-06-12 4:32AM

backtofuturetoyota
Patagonian Toothfish

Now if I only understood half of what was said.  I need to get out to fletchers!  I've heard so many great things about fishing there.  This whole work thing is getting in the way of fun!

#5 Mar-06-12 5:15AM

Osprey
Patagonian Toothfish
Website

backtofuturetoyota wrote:

Now if I only understood half of what was said.  I need to get out to fletchers!  I've heard so many great things about fishing there.  This whole work thing is getting in the way of fun!

You need a job like Ernie and Curly have.

20' Key West..16' C-Hawk...Hobie Pro Angler...Hobie Outback

Board footer