Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Dec-19-10 3:34PM

NOVAhunter
Northern Snakehead

12/18 BRRRR and LETS GET IT ON?!?!????

On saturday morning my truck-o-thermometer read a balmy 18 degrees.  The wood were quiet till around 8 when the first squirrels started sticking their head out and moving around. About 830 I saw a couple off in the distance. I'll assume does. They were way off.  About 9 I was starting to wish that I had stayed in bed. It was still pretty cold out. Not sure what the temp was, but I had just finished off the coffee in my thermos and was really wishing I still had a bit more. to warm me up.  Around 945, I hear some racket off to my left and see a lone doe trotting down the trail with a purpose and then notice an young basket 8 pt giving chase (probably the one I took a picture of a few weeks back, it not its his brother). It may be getting a little late in the season but he still has love on his mind.  She stops about 40 yards out and he slows down and stops around 30 yards out. So I am slowly moving in to shooting position when both of them turn and look back down the trail and I catch a nice wide 10 pt coming down the trail with his ears down and back. The basket eight lays his ears down and back and starts walking towards the other buck.  At this point I am thinking they are going to fight it out and I've never seen that before. A little sparring yes, does kicking each other yes. But two bucks going at it for real no. By now the one buck is out of shooting range, the bucks are looking like its fight time and I could care less about that doe.  They square off at about 10 yards away from each other,  ears back, head up, hair standing up on their backs. Then 10 pt then turns and trots back up the trail and the 8 pt follows. No hurry, not running him off, just a bit of a casual stroll.  Not the expected out come of that situation.  After I loose sight of those two, I look back for the doe  and she has disappeared. Oh well... Sorry no pictures this time.. I climbed down around 11 and headed out of the woods to fight the madness at mall.

#2 Dec-19-10 5:28PM

Ernie
Administrator

Re: 12/18 BRRRR and LETS GET IT ON?!?!????

You tell a good story....had me in it the whole time and I am not a hunter. Glad you got out...I feel like a hermit....or a monk.

Time to go fishin' again!

#3 Dec-20-10 6:09AM

RobVT3

How close did the 10 point get?  I was supposed to go Saturday but decided to stay in bed.

#4 Dec-20-10 9:40AM

NOVAhunter
Northern Snakehead

RobVT3 wrote:

How close did the 10 point get?  I was supposed to go Saturday but decided to stay in bed.

It was probably 40 something away when he stopped. I went from wondering if I had peppercorns and gas to grill up tenderloin that night to just having nothing...  A bird in the hand as they say..

Pacemaker wrote:

Glad you got out...I feel like a hermit....or a monk.

Come early January I am going to start to get cabin fever again. By early Feb, I'll drag my waders out one day and go stand in goose creek watching ice form on my line guides till I can't feel my toes anymore.  I'm not much of an indoor person..

Last edited by NOVAhunter (Dec-20-10 9:41AM)

Board footer